“Cost is off the charts! This is not New York City.”
Review of The Rusty Duck

The Rusty Duck
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Dexter
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I'd heard about the Rusty Duck from friends, and decided to give it a try last night with a friend of mine. I was STUNNED at the prices of ALL of the menu offerings. I travel a lot for work, and could not believe the prices charged in this small town restaurant. Granted the portions are large (too much for almost anyone to eat)... but I'd MUCH rather have reasonable portion sizes and prices that are more reasonable.

You'll have to decide it it's worth it for you, but NOT if you're on a budget of any kind.

2  Thank Marc C

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stopped here since all the reviews have been raving about this place.

The hamburgers Rusty Duck is "famous" for are almost a full pound. 14oz. to be exact. In fact, everything here is super-size. And I mean everything.

The bill wasn't exactly a bargain unless you consider two days worth of leftovers. If you don't mind leftovers, than knock yourself out. My bill was more than $20, and all I got was a hamburger, side order of fries, and a coke (or pepsi, you never know in these small town restaurants). For this kind of money, I would have rather ate at Rube's Steakhouse off of I-80 Exit 117 in West Des Moines.

I didn't take the leftovers home because, well - how do you really enjoy a 14oz hamburger reheated in a microwave?

Would I eat here again? Only if Rube's Steakhouse is closed, and I have time to kill.

3  Thank Kalyan P
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Deeeelicious! It's known for its hamburgers and doesn't disappoint. Well deserves its rating as one of the top 10 burgers in Iowa. Located in a small town and definitely worth a visit. Friendly service and worth the trip. Many other selections on the menu, including a pretty meaty pork tenderloin. Our compliments to the chef!

1  Thank Reno60
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Even while preggo my wife loved this place. I love the bacon cheese burger (bacon made my wife sick for all 9 months). High quality meat, good onion rings, cold beer. I will be honest the service is more concerned about their own social lives then working but the food makes up for it.

1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

This little place off I80 is a must visit. I have to admit we live about 15 miles away and had heard about the place for years. Today we finally decided this small town restaurant over going into Des Moines to eat. I am so glad we did.

We made a reservation however got there early and ended up sitting at the bar so we could watch the football game. My husband and I got the benefit of a gourmet meal while watching football. Gold star!!!

He had the ultimate burger which is pictured. He rarely cannot finish but the portions were so huge he has a midnight snack for later. I had the deburgo ribeye. It was delicious and cooked perfectly but at 16oz I also had to take some home for later.

Lesson for next time, we will skip an appetizer.... But the spinach artichoke was AMAZING!

No matter what you are looking for this place will be sure to impress you with the quality of food they provide and courteous staff!

1  Thank Cwhitty75