“It impressed me...”

Hampton Inn Des Moines-Airport
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Since it was an older property, I thought it would be a cheap hotel. The friendly front desk and shuttle service impressed me. The rooms are large and cozy. Ask for more towels if you need. Brekfast was good and it is a very calm place.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed January 2, 2010

Standard Hampton Inn. Reliable and no surprises.
Close to airport and easy to find places to eat.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Hortkie
Reviewed September 30, 2009

This is an average hotel. Front desk employees didn't seem to care either way about their jobs. The location and rooms were fine. The cold breakfast was enough to get you going for the day.

I think that if they just upped the service level this could be a completely different experience.
You can do much better than this place but it did the job for one night.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I came in on Friday and was there for a concert. I called to confirm a week earlier that there was a shuttle and it would drive us to Principal Park, the guest agent said it would and that they did have a 24 hour shuttle that we would simply have to schedule departure and pick up. Upon arrival I went to schedule our shuttle and the "assistant general manager" as her name tag stated said sorry our shuttle is not available to schedule drives to Principal Park due to the congestion but we can take you to Flannigans and than you will need to get a cab and they can get you the rest of the way. But if you want to do that you have to be ready to leave at 4:45 (which was 15 minutes after I checked in) or 5:30 which was still not enough time as we needed to shower after our 5 hour drive. When I asked the cab fee from the hotel to Principal Park she said oh maybe $10.00. The total round trip fee is 32.00 not 20.00, which should have been picked up by the hotel due to the communication break between the guest agents and management in informing guests that the shuttle will not be available to travel to Principal Park. My second complaint that I had was that I requested a room with two beds, my reservation via email says 2 Queen Bed Room. When I checked in Angie, who was another guest agent said I have your room with 1 king bed available and I said but I requested a room with 2 queen beds and Angie said but your Hilton Honors Card says you like a King bed...but I was not traveling on business and I was not alone. When I originally made the reservation I didn't even have my Hilton Honors card number to include on reservation. So than I had to get a roll away and I allowed my guest to sleep in the King Bed and I, the paying guest, on a rollaway when I requested 2 queen beds, I can email the confirmation if needed. So I was greatly disappointed my next visit will be to tripadvisor.com and I will submit a review of what I experienced at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2008

The location, parking and breakfast were great, no complaints. We were checked in by a very nice young woman who even got me some cereal for my son from the kitchen. The room was supposed to be a king 'suite' but was a double queen room with a king and a sofa bed crammed in. When we opened the sofa bed we couldn't get to the bathroom without climbing over it. The TV was a nice wide panel, the decor was nice, and the bed was comfortable. The grout in the bathroom had seen better days. We woke in the morning, and there was water running down the mirror onto the vanity...from 'who knows where' After disinfecting our toothbrushes I called the front desk. No one ever called back or came to check on the mess. When I checked out she said 'oh we don't have anyone working maintenance' and 'oh, darn, there isn't a manager here right now'. She told me to call the honors # if I wanted to talk to someone about it.
Not exactly what I expect from a Hampton Inn. Oh, the pool is OUTSIDE. Not much good in Iowa, and should rate a discount price. All in all...I won't stay here again. I'll go to the Garden Inn next time.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I only stayed here one night during a business trip that had me touring IA. I stayed here the last night since it is right next to the airport and it has a shulttle. The rooms were very comfortable and typical to what you would expect to find in a Hampton. I had gotten dropped off at the hotel by my traveling partners since they were driving home and planned to just use the shuttle to the airport. That part worked out fine but there are not really any places to eat within walking distance of the hotel other than a Perkins.

The hotel also has an outdoor pool, not an indoor one. Not that it mattered to me but it is probalby important to note that depending on when you are going.

The hotel, the rooms, the atmosphere etc was all what you would expect in a Hampton.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank allenha
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Third or Fourth stay at this particular Hampton Inn. Hotel is literally across the street from the Des Moines Airport. The front desk staff is one of the best I have ever encountered at any Hampton Inn. Rooms were nice, clean, and had a been updated with the new Hampton furniture and bathroom vanities.
Local shuttle service is available although I did not need it.

I will definitely stay here again when my travels call for Iowa.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business