“Very disappointing Hampton INN”

Hampton Inn Des Moines-Airport
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed September 22, 2008

The location, parking and breakfast were great, no complaints. We were checked in by a very nice young woman who even got me some cereal for my son from the kitchen. The room was supposed to be a king 'suite' but was a double queen room with a king and a sofa bed crammed in. When we opened the sofa bed we couldn't get to the bathroom without climbing over it. The TV was a nice wide panel, the decor was nice, and the bed was comfortable. The grout in the bathroom had seen better days. We woke in the morning, and there was water running down the mirror onto the vanity...from 'who knows where' After disinfecting our toothbrushes I called the front desk. No one ever called back or came to check on the mess. When I checked out she said 'oh we don't have anyone working maintenance' and 'oh, darn, there isn't a manager here right now'. She told me to call the honors # if I wanted to talk to someone about it.
Not exactly what I expect from a Hampton Inn. Oh, the pool is OUTSIDE. Not much good in Iowa, and should rate a discount price. All in all...I won't stay here again. I'll go to the Garden Inn next time.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed March 14, 2008

I only stayed here one night during a business trip that had me touring IA. I stayed here the last night since it is right next to the airport and it has a shulttle. The rooms were very comfortable and typical to what you would expect to find in a Hampton. I had gotten dropped off at the hotel by my traveling partners since they were driving home and planned to just use the shuttle to the airport. That part worked out fine but there are not really any places to eat within walking distance of the hotel other than a Perkins.

The hotel also has an outdoor pool, not an indoor one. Not that it mattered to me but it is probalby important to note that depending on when you are going.

The hotel, the rooms, the atmosphere etc was all what you would expect in a Hampton.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank allenha
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Third or Fourth stay at this particular Hampton Inn. Hotel is literally across the street from the Des Moines Airport. The front desk staff is one of the best I have ever encountered at any Hampton Inn. Rooms were nice, clean, and had a been updated with the new Hampton furniture and bathroom vanities.
Local shuttle service is available although I did not need it.

I will definitely stay here again when my travels call for Iowa.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2007

There was some good and some bad with this hotel. The location is great if you need to get to the airport as the airport is right across the street. There are plenty of restaurants around the area which is great. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They also told me they are going to start experimenting with a nightly manager's reception which I've noticed many Hampton's are now doing. The room was where I had a problem. I booked a King Study and although the bed was great and the room was remodeled, it was the smallest hotel room I've stayed in. The couch was jammed right next to the bed and the desk was extremely inconvenient in that although it had rollers, you couldn't move it anywhere in the room because there was literally no room! My room also had some sort of funky smell which wasn't too terrible, but kind of annoying. Would I stay here again? Probably not. If I go back to Des Moines, I'd stay out in West Des Moines where there are some really great Hilton properties.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank TXBusinessTraveler
Reviewed September 30, 2007

Good location close to the aiport, I stay here twice a year and have not been dissapointed. The staff are friendly and the rooms are good size.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed August 23, 2007

The room was clean but very small and crowded. We had a King room. I think if you get a room with 2 queen beds you get more room. The A/C was loud and kept going off and on all night and we could not regulate it. The halls were very hot. The staff was very nice though. I don't think we would stay again because it was so small.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed August 18, 2007

Selected this hotel because of it's location (also it's outdoor pool) and found one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in, and at a great price!
The bed and bedding was awesome! So comfy, fluffy, and white - in a hotel room! The room was spacious and the bath amenities were really nice. They also have lap desks in each room to use while in bed - a nice touch!
There is a small breakfast area off the lobby, with your standard breakfast items - everything was fresh!
Had a 4th floor room so the parking lot light was right outside my window, but the blackout curtain kept the room very dark.
Pool area and pool was small, but very clean.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo