“Comfortable, close to airport”

Hampton Inn Des Moines-Airport
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Springfield, Illinois
“Comfortable, close to airport”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This Hampton is convenient to the airport, but quite a drive from downtown and other attractions. We were not troubled by airplane noise after about 9:30 pm. Our room, which had 2 queen beds, seemed a bit crowded. Instead of a closet near the door, there was a closet and desk combination at the far end of the room, taking up the space usually occupied by the window. The desk was so close to the bed that there was barely room for a chair. There was a window, but it was narrower than usual, and with a pleated shade, no curtains. This was fine for nighttime, but in the day there was no way to let light in and have any privacy, as you can with the more usual sheer curtains. The breakfast was ample and good, and they actually had real half and half in addition to the usual "non dairy creamers."

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 8, 2012

PROS: decent LCD TV; newer mobile desk and closet; typical Hampton breakfast food; 2 elevators; ample parking; decent beds and ample lights in room.

CONS: outdoor pool (doesnt help in winter!); both elevators side by side and centrally located (which means a bit of a walk if your room is the lower or upper numbers). No microwave or fridge in room. The door leading to the outside from the staircase is one way only- you cannot go back in the same way (no key card entry).

Room Tip: Pick the upper floors for peace and quiet. If you cannot walk far, take the rooms in the main floor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Big_bro_1_usa
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Our room was average. Breakfast was ok. The location was very close to the airport and zoo.

Tried to stay a second time during the trip but no rooms and no referals to another Hilton property.

We did not use the pool or fitness center.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
United States
Reviewed September 7, 2012

By the airport, right off Fleur Drive, but oddly quiet once you are inside. It is far (5-7+ miles?) from downtown, about a $13 cab ride.

Helpful, friendly staff, generous breakfast, van driver basically on call to 24/7 get you to/from the airport (just a 5 minute ride), small outdoor pool that seemed very popular with families

Dining options within walking distance are a bit limited, but it is one block from a huge Hy-Vee that has deli/dining options and a liquor store, and Mezzodi's italian restaurant (decent food).

Rooms are comfy and quiet, could use a renovation soon, but my bed linens were fresh and new. Hallway carpets are musty and either need a deep cleaning or replacement.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Michael W, Manager at Hampton Inn Des Moines-Airport, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for your input on my hotel here on Trip Advisor.com! I always enjoy reading over reviews. I do read over all of these comments and try to respond to everyone. I did read over your notes on our property. I'm glad you enjoyed the complimentary airport shuttle. On your next visit, the shuttle will take you to some local restaurants and shopping as well. Also, I read over your notes on the rooms. This is our next major focus here at the hotel. I want you to know that we are working on it!
Thank you again for your comments! Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or to book your next stay.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We booked a reward night at this hotel to send the weekend at Adventureland and we are sure glad we did. We really did not want to stay near the theme park so this worked out well.

Pluses:

Outdoor pool! Wow, we Minnesotans sure are not used to this feature! And the weather was great!

Food: The breakfast bar was well kept up and the food was good. Your typical easy breezy breakfast items but when you have a family of 5, this saves a bundle and is a must have when travelling.

Quiet! We were really surprised in the morning with how many kids we saw and how quiet the night was. Definitely hard to come by on a weekend in a hotel and this was great.

Room for a rollaway bed: well not really, but is there ever room for a rollaway? Good news-they had one in our room at check in and it was comfy, according to our all knowing 7 year old.

Minuses-none really. Only a one night stay and everything went just as we would expect. I would recommend this hotel for a one or more night stay. It was very clean and modern.

Room Tip: First floor is never a good idea. Anywhere.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael W, Manager at Hampton Inn Des Moines-Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your input on my hotel here on Trip Advisor.com! I always enjoy reading over reviews. I do read over all of these comments and try to respond to everyone. I did read over your notes on our property. I'm glad you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast! That definately is one of our perks. The outdoor pool is always a nice feature for little ones traveling with you. And speaking about little ones, if the 7 year old was happy that means we are doing great!
colorado
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was concerned about being so close to airport i did hear planes until 9 pm then again in breakfast room between 6 am - 7 am so dont know if i would have heard planes in room bottom line concern about airplane noise no big deal as u would expect its a good hampton inn business center was on 2nd fl which i consider a plus i would stay here again
a plus is there was a grocery store almost next door so it was easy to pick up some sandwich supplies for an all day road trip

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your input on my hotel here on Trip Advisor.com! I always enjoy reading over reviews. I do read over all of these comments and try to respond to everyone. I did read over your notes on our property. I'm glad you enjoyed our new business center! We just redid that along with our lobby this summer!
Illinois
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on Aug 9th. The check in was ok the lobby and grounds were ok. But the rooms need a update, the bed clothes were old and really worn looking, the walls needed painted and the chairs needed a good scrubbing. The bathroom was ok and had enough towels. But the worst thing was when we returned from the races we were shocked. The empty soda cans we had left on the bed side table were still there and our ice container was full of water. No new clean bag for the ice container and papers and tissue left on the floor. I guess the $5.00 tip we left was not enough. Won't be staying here next year for the Nationals.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bluesfanillinois
Thank you for your input on my hotel here on Trip Advisor.com! I always enjoy reading over reviews. I do read over all of these comments and try to respond to everyone. I did read over your notes on our property. I take all comments my guests leave with me very seriously. I also want to be honest with you. To let you know, we are just beginning to work on our guest rooms. We hope to have them all refreshed by the end of this year. We recently completed our new business center, and in May we completed our huge lobby renovation. We also recently upgraded our StayConnected wireless internet and added new HD channels. Many new things are happening at the hotel.
As for missing to take care of those items in your room I have no excuse. We straight up missed those pop cans and the ice bucket. I do sincerely apologize about that; there is no excuse. We missed finishing those items up in your room. But the fact that my housekeeping staff did see that item which you left for them, they should have been very sure your room was cleaned correctly.
I did read that you wouldn't stay here again. I always respect a guests decision regarding our hotel and service. I would love to extend an invitation to try us again; I want a chance to win your business back. I know how busy we are during the races at the beginning of August. Feel free to contact me directly at the property to discuss this further. I would enjoy a shot at winning back a valuable guest.
Thank you again for your comments! Feel free to reach out to us if you have any other questions or would like to book another stay.