“Great hotel for the money!”

Hampton Inn Des Moines-Airport
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We checked in on 9/9/11 and checked out 9/12/11. We had a heck of an experience, which is why I'm writing this review.
Due to a lack of communication and the "you get what you pay for" in employee attitude, we arrived at the Hampton Inn on 9/9/11 at around 11pm. We were promptly greeted and given our rooms. 2 rooms that were joined with a door. We were given a very fair rate, considering we only gave 2 hours notice.
Room was very quiet, extremely clean, and have a nice TV and wireless internet available at no charge. You are near an airport, so you can hear airplanes from 6am until around 10pm (noise decibels depends on the direction of the wind for when airplanes takeoff and land).
This hotel has a continental breakfast including, but subject to change: cooked sausage, eggs. self-made waffles, bagels, toast, cereal, and fresh hot coffee. Apple, orange, and pineapple juice available as well.
There are 2 desktop computers available for free in the lobby area. There is also coffee available 24 hours a day.
The pool, though claimed to be heated, was not heated the night we were there. Perhaps it wasn't necessary because we are from Arizona, and the high of 85 degrees was semi chilly for us.
Wireless internet is available for free in every room. You get your access code from the back of the pamphlet that has your key cards when given at the front counter.
All in all, this was a very nice hotel. The rooms are clean and smell great. Awesome water pressure and hot water when needed. I would suggest a room away from the airport, which may provide a better night sleep and not such an early morning with airplanes taking off. Bed are very comfortable and Just what you would expect from a Hilton hotel!

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the airport, for a good night due to airport noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank frankfurt9882
Nathan B, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Des Moines-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Thank you for your nice review of our Hampton Inn! We strive to provide excellent customer service to our guests! We hope to have you back when you return to Des Moines! Thank you!

Nathan

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stay here 3 or 4 times a year (company booked room).
Pros:
*5 minutes from airport with 24 hour shuttle
*typical Hampton hot breakfast
*staff is pleasant and accommodating
Cons:
*rooms are small, in the 2 bed room the chair under the desk can't come out from under the desk without hitting the bed
*a/c unit is pretty loud
*it's a 1/4 mile walk to Perkins or McDonalds, that's it for close restaurants.
Our corporate rate is very low, that makes staying her worthwhile. If you're staying over night and flying in or out of Des Moines this is a good choice. If your looking for a vacation hotel it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your review of our Hampton Inn! We're glad that your corporation has special rates with us! We strive to be an excellent transient business hotel as well as a place for families to feel comfortable! We have maintenance associates cleaning out our heating/cooling systems in the rooms to make them as quiet as possible. We hope you stay at our Hampton Inn again when business leads to Des Moines. Thank you!

Reviewed September 12, 2011

1. Room was reasonably good, though perhaps slightly overpriced. AC was unusually loud.
2. Breakfast quality was decent.
3. I had Hilton Gold status during the stay, but didn't feel any difference (versus Hilton Blue, the basic status) during my stay. Have been waiting over 1 month for some of the HHonors points to post.
3. I was bringing baby, for whom I'd requested a clean crib. However, the portable crib that was delivered to the room was not clean and the front desk said they had no disinfecting wipes that I could use to clean the crib myself. So, I cleaned the crib to the best of my ability using infant wipes and towels. I reported this to management and gave some suggestions on improvement - I was pleased with how they handled the issue and promised to change their policies on infant crib sanitation.

I'd rate it either Average or "Good" if I could, but TripAdvisor allows either Average (3) or Very Good (4), with no option for Good. So, I'll go with Average.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our Hampton Inn! At our Hampton Inn, our number one focus is on the guest. We will do whatever it takes to make you happy! I also thank you for giving us some suggestions to better improve our hotel. We are always looking for ways to strive in excellent customer service! Have a great day!

Nathan

Reviewed August 7, 2011

There was little that I saw in this property to justify over $100 a night for a room. I could have stayed at the Super 8 across the street for much less money but the same experience. The hotel is clean and the fridge and microwave in the rooms is a nice extra. However, I found the bed very uncomfortable. There is a pool and exercise room, but again, these do not add up to over $100 in value - especially since there were several maintenance issues with my room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Freddy62
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We were very happy with our stay, very clean,which is good! The staff person who checked us in was very nice and told us we could get a sack breakfast in the morning before our 530 am flight. Very good. The only thing I was slightly disappointed with was the lack of channels. Hardly any channels to speak of,which would of been nice. But I was happy overall.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We booked a Park and Fly room at this Hampton Inn. We had a 10 day cruise and needed to catch an early morning flight. The Hampton Inn had sack breakfast waiting for us at the desk. The Van took us over to the Airport at 4:30 AM so that was not a problem. Getting back to IA, we missed a connection due to travel delays and were able to contact the hotel to cancel the room we had planned to stay in when we arrived late in the day at the end of our trip. The car was at the hotel waiting for us when we finally got back a day late.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank business-traveler-Mn
Nkbush, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Des Moines-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel! We value everyone's feedback! I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope you park and fly with us again!

Reviewed May 6, 2010

Since it was an older property, I thought it would be a cheap hotel. The friendly front desk and shuttle service impressed me. The rooms are large and cozy. Ask for more towels if you need. Brekfast was good and it is a very calm place.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business