“Unfriendly Staff”

Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Unfriendly Staff”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

One of the worst hotels I have stayed at in a while. Most of the front desk staff and the majority of the restraunt staff are rude and unfriendly. They called my room at 10:30pm (waking me up) accusing me, a non smoker, of smoking in the room. I also found a used towel in the bathroom and the little shampoo bottle was half full. They treat you like everything you ask for is a big deal and like they are doing you a favor. I also became sick from the food in their kitchen. I am never staying in this hotel again

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank nonrev4life
Fleur6111, Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
Our staff apologizes for your experience. Our hotel consistently ranks very high is staff courtesy and guest satisfaction, and hopes to exceed your expectations during your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night as an attendee of a conference being hosted there. The staff were friendly and check-in was simple and fast. I'm a bit of a germophobe, so hotel rooms in general creep me out . But I must say this place was absolutely spotless. I also appreciated the quality of the linens and towels. The bed was very comfy with a wide selection and good number of pillows.

The one negative: my room was on the third floor, but I only rode the elevator once. Once was enough. The thing creaks and shudders so badly that I was afraid it might break down with me in it.

It's been a long time since I've stayed in a Holiday Inn. I would definitely stay here again, and I'll keep this brand in mind for my next trip.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank anneski76
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I've been a Priority Club Member for nearly 16-years. This was by far the worst Holiday Inn I have ever stayed at. Ironically, it is also the most money I've ever paid ($140) for one room with two queen beds. Room #206 had scum on the doors; the toilet leaked onto the bathroom floor; the toilet handle stuck...even the ceramic coffee cup leaked coffee onto the bed sheets (I thought I was being "punked"). There was no extra blanket, as is typical; the shower handle in the pool shower was missing and unusable; the TV remote was difficult to use; and the air conditioner sounded like a B52 bomber. In the morning, the thin walls enabled me to be surrenaded by the screaming baby next door. Yep, it was by far the worst Holiday Inn experience and the most I've spent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank daaxt
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This hotel does well on all the usual checklist items-- staff very good, rooms nice, things seem updated-- fails at my personal checklist item, which is does the elevator smell like a hot electrical circuit?-- but I would still rate it highly if it were not for the fact that it is impossible to get work done in the evenings, and equally impossible to get to sleep early if you've got an early flight the next day. The place is NOISY. When I was there, it sounded like a combination luau and called square-dance going on in the atrium area. No way could I sleep until after 10, which is OK even for a 6am flight, but also no way could I work, and I wasn't too interested in joining the families in the pool or seeking out that Hawaiian square-dance thing. Did I mention the nonstop yappy dog on my hallway? ...This hotel is trying too hard to be all things to all customers, and in the process it is cutting its business travellers' needs right out of the list. Internet serbvise was spotty too-- not enough repeaters. Never again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Hotel_Connoisseur60
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Tired but functional fits this place. A very popular place as the Holidome are was very active with lots of kids during the summer sports season. Breakfast was nice being cooked to order. Everyone was very nice. The place is within walking distance of the airport and the shuttle got you there in a snap. I think I would like to try some other properties in Des Moines next time, just to see what the newer properties and locations are like.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2009

I stayed at the Airport Holiday Inn with a school group. It was a nice hotel and i really enjoyed it. It was just a little confusing with the layout. I did enjoy my stay and wish i could have had more than just one night there. The rooms were clean and the pool was really deep which was very different! I enjoyed the atmosphere of the pool area also.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 18, 2009

A little nostalgia for us old folks who remember the heyday of the Holidome concept. This one is beautifully preserved and is one of the best in the country. Room was clean, modern, and had excellent internet. Rooms service was personable, prompt, accurate, and has the best green beans (with bacon & onions) you have ever tasted (prime rib excellent, too - with real horseradish!). Get a room facing in to the Holidome, prop your feet up on your balcony, and listen to the soothing fountain. You'll be in no hurry to get to your next stop.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business