“Renovating”

Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center
Ranked #23 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is an older hotel, that still seems to be doing things right. The receptionist was friendly and informative. The restaurant was cafeteria style, with a selection of sandwiches and sweets, the hospitality was plentiful and pleasant. They were careful enough to put me towards the back of the hotel away from the families with kids. As a business traveler, I would not want to hear the kids running up-n-down the halls and I didn't. Their is a central pool & the rooms encircle it, allowing parents to relax from their balconies while being able to monitor their children and teenagers. Although this was business for me, the hotel was very family friendly. The only minor complaint I had was the bathrooms were very small. As a big-guy - this was not very accomodating. There is also construction going on, as they are expanding their meeting rooms, but they are keeping that area fenced off and their was no construction or construction noise on the weekend I was there.

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool for families, rooms towards the back for a quiet business trip.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank bestsales123
Fleur6111, Owner at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you so very much for your comments on your stay here at the Holiday Inn -Airport Conference Center! You are absolutely correct that we are expanding our Conference Center with a new Exhibition Hall of over 12,000 sq. feet, and look forward to the construction being complete late this spring. Thanks again for your kind comments and our entire staff hopes to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I spent one night here as an overnight stop before an early morning flight out of Des Moines. The hotel was clean, but the lobby needs a face lift. It's not a very inspiring place to walk into. However, it is very convenient to the airport--right across the street. The lounge was closed for remodel and the hotel restaurant was more like a self-serve deli than a restaurant. I decided to eat out, so can't comment on the quality of the food. Tables to dine at were set out around the balcony area of the pool. My room was clean. A standard 2 queen bed that included a desk/dresser combo, refrigerator, microwave and large flat screen tv. The bed was fairly comfortable but the sheets felt old and tired--not crisp and clean. Bathroom was clean, but again the towels need to be replaced--old and tired again!
This hotel served my needs, but would probably look elsewhere if I need to spend the night in Des Moines in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank krileyadams
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear krileyadams,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is always our goal to provide convenient and world class service to our guest and we are pleased to know your needs are met during your stay. However, we regret that your stay was not as comfortable as it can be due to the issues with our facilities. Rest assured that we take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Karen C

Reviewed February 5, 2014

The location of this Holiday Inn--across from the Des Moines airport--is exceptional. The check-in was efficient but the single clerk was extremely busy and we had to wait in line a bit longer than was comfortable.

Though clean and adequate, the hotel is showing it's age. The decor was dated and worn. The "tropical courtyard" was dark, gloomy and decorated for last centry. Had I not found this deal on Hotwire, I would not have been happy with the full price of $135/night. Most other hotels in the area are less than that, and many of them are nicer. I hope that the construction of a new convention area for this Holiday Inn will include a room upgrade.

Room Tip: The area is massive because of the large courtyard. Ask for a room near the front or you'll wal...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear NSBrice,

We appreciate you leaving a review on your recent stays with us. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with the hotel staff at check in. We will review our procedure to avoid similar situations in the future.
We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We are pleased you did enjoy a clean room as well as our location. Thank you again and looking forward to serving you in future.

Regards,

Brenda J.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed here 1 night back in November, and it was fine. I stay frequently at IHG branded hotels, and usually am very impressed. This Holiday Inn was okay, but I wasn't that impressed with the place. It definitely could do with some room upgrades, and the hallways seemed a bit damp and musty. The restaurant was pretty average, and it seemed to be more like a bar / cafeteria, which seemed a bit strange compared to other Holiday Inn's I've stayed at. They had various stations set up, and you ordered what you wanted, then would pay, then bring it too a table outside the restaurant in clear proximity to the inside hotel rooms. Staff was friendly, and location is good; literally walking distance from the airport.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MJN123
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear MJN123,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the condition of the common areas of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Nice room and staff and for a hotel that has been here all my life it is very well maintained. The oddest thing is the room is clearly updated including HD TV but with a fuzzy low def picture. Why go through all the trouble to update a room and not make sure the guest has a "standard HD" signal that I've enjoyed at home for too many years to remember. It is 2013 isn't it?

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear mspfurnace,

Krysllin G.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Close to the airport with a free shuttle at all hours. Had a very early flight and took a 4:30 shuttle to the airport. Sinc I left before the scheduled
Breakfast time they provided me with a take away bagged meal. Nice room but the AC was a little loud.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I booked a suite using my IHG points. The person helping me book it looked up the room and specifically told me it had 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa - perfect for our group. We arrived around midnight and learned that room was not available. The kind woman behind the desk calmly and professionally handled it by upgrading us to a larger suite that only had a King bed and added 2 rollaways. The room was phenomenal. My college-aged son suggested we stay forever! The beds were unbelievably soft and the room was chic and very clean. The poolside breakfast was quite nice, too.

Room Tip: The suite with a kitchen was beautiful!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family