“Great Location”

Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Oskaloosa, IA
“Great Location”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The location of this Holiday Inn--across from the Des Moines airport--is exceptional. The check-in was efficient but the single clerk was extremely busy and we had to wait in line a bit longer than was comfortable.

Though clean and adequate, the hotel is showing it's age. The decor was dated and worn. The "tropical courtyard" was dark, gloomy and decorated for last centry. Had I not found this deal on Hotwire, I would not have been happy with the full price of $135/night. Most other hotels in the area are less than that, and many of them are nicer. I hope that the construction of a new convention area for this Holiday Inn will include a room upgrade.

Room Tip: The area is massive because of the large courtyard. Ask for a room near the front or you'll wal...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear NSBrice,

We appreciate you leaving a review on your recent stays with us. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with the hotel staff at check in. We will review our procedure to avoid similar situations in the future.
We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We are pleased you did enjoy a clean room as well as our location. Thank you again and looking forward to serving you in future.

Regards,

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed here 1 night back in November, and it was fine. I stay frequently at IHG branded hotels, and usually am very impressed. This Holiday Inn was okay, but I wasn't that impressed with the place. It definitely could do with some room upgrades, and the hallways seemed a bit damp and musty. The restaurant was pretty average, and it seemed to be more like a bar / cafeteria, which seemed a bit strange compared to other Holiday Inn's I've stayed at. They had various stations set up, and you ordered what you wanted, then would pay, then bring it too a table outside the restaurant in clear proximity to the inside hotel rooms. Staff was friendly, and location is good; literally walking distance from the airport.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MJN123
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear MJN123,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the condition of the common areas of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Wyoming, Minnesota
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Nice room and staff and for a hotel that has been here all my life it is very well maintained. The oddest thing is the room is clearly updated including HD TV but with a fuzzy low def picture. Why go through all the trouble to update a room and not make sure the guest has a "standard HD" signal that I've enjoyed at home for too many years to remember. It is 2013 isn't it?

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear mspfurnace,

Krysllin G.
Ocean City, New Jersey
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Close to the airport with a free shuttle at all hours. Had a very early flight and took a 4:30 shuttle to the airport. Sinc I left before the scheduled
Breakfast time they provided me with a take away bagged meal. Nice room but the AC was a little loud.

• Stayed October 2013
Tempe, AZ
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I booked a suite using my IHG points. The person helping me book it looked up the room and specifically told me it had 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa - perfect for our group. We arrived around midnight and learned that room was not available. The kind woman behind the desk calmly and professionally handled it by upgrading us to a larger suite that only had a King bed and added 2 rollaways. The room was phenomenal. My college-aged son suggested we stay forever! The beds were unbelievably soft and the room was chic and very clean. The poolside breakfast was quite nice, too.

Room Tip: The suite with a kitchen was beautiful!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gl0balmama
Edgewood, New Mexico
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Holiday Inn Des Moines Airport is as close as a hotel can be to an airport without actually being on the runway. Perfect for early morning departures and late night arrivals.

This hotel seemed to be an older property, but was well-kept. It's more like the old-fashioned "holidome" that was popular years ago and has rooms on the pool level with patio chairs if that's what you are looking for in a hotel.

My room was on the side away from the airport. Waaay on the other side. Be prepared to walk if you get a room back there. It was large, had a microwave and fridge - and a lot of unused space. It was one of the most "austere" hotel rooms I've ever stayed in, with no decor in the room other than a single picture on one wall. The room was very quiet as long as the fan was on. The air conditioning unit implied that there was a constant fan feature, but it didn't work. I will say that I slept relatively well though, but only because I travel with earplugs. There are no handy electrical outlets other than on the desk, so if you need to recharge your phone you'll have to do it across the room. I really wish hotels would recognize that travelers want their phone next to the bed because it is our alarm clock.

The bathroom had some very interesting (okay, a little weird) things about it. There were two facial tissue dispensers and four toilet tissue holders. Now, this wasn't a very big bathroom, and the room only had a single king bed. The room obviously wasn't designed to serve a large family, so I found myself wondering why the bathroom was designed for a crowd. (Maybe I don't really want to know?!)

I had breakfast (complimentary for Platinum members) at the hotel restaurant, and it was enough food for two people. It was also excellent - one of the best I've ever had in any IHG property. Nothing fancy, just really good food.

So, to sum it up. I will recommend this hotel if you don't need bells and whistles.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Very nice hotel, I stay at this hotel chain as often as I can and I'm never disappointed. The staff personalities vary but it's expected, we don't live in a perfect world. My main concern is always a clean comfortable bed and clean bathroom, and safety, of course. The one thing that would be appreciated is outlet access at the nightstand table. I've come in very late at night at times with low batteries on my iPad and cell phone would like to use them while in bed. This would be a big plus. The hotel was being remodeled and there are signs posted apologizing for any mess or noise. I appreciate their efforts as it is not easy to remodel and be occupied at the same time. Non of that interfered with my very much needed sleep. Shuttle picked me up at the airport at 3:30am after my five hour flight delay :D( Hotel is conveniently located across the street from the hotel, I think I waited five minutes. Very nice shuttle driver :D)

Before leaving in the afternoon to meet up with friends in Council Bluffs I had a bowl of soup in their very nice coffee shop where I also picked up some snacks.....3 hour drive ahead. The soup was very tasty and as I ate I noted they had a pleasant eating area next to the indoor pool. Also noted some rooms had a balcony facing the enclosed pool and eating area.

FYI: Do Not speed in Iowa, there are about 4-5 different speed limits, depending where you are driving. In Spencer I got stopped for driving, according to the officer, 30mph in a 20mph zone, I'm sure I was going 25mph. I did not get a ticket. But as I drove away I noted a block from where I was stopped the speed changed to 35mph. Very nice people though, just keep an eye at the speed limit signs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo