“Pool not open, they did not tell us when reservation was made” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center

Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
MASON CITY
“Pool not open, they did not tell us when reservation was made”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

The pool, hot tub, and game area was closed due to construction. We understand that they need to have work done, but this should have been disclosed to us at time of reservation. This was the major reason to stay at a hotel and not with family. They should have disclosed this info at reservation time.

Room Tip: Ask if services are available when booking
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear scramblerracer,

Thank you for taking the time to write our property a review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We apologize for falling short of your expectations especially with the customer service you received regarding the condition of the hotel facilities. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We recently used Holiday Inn Airport Conference Center for the night before our early flight. The room was comfortable. Since we had to leave so early in the morning, we were allowed to pick up a breakfast from the restaurant the night before (included with room). We could have cereal, a danish, a piece of fruit and something to drink. The transfer to the airport in the early morning was immediate as soon as we asked at the front desk. When we got back from our trip, we called them and they were waiting outside for us when we walked out. What a welcome surprise!! They had ample parking available for the Park and Fly area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Burnsville, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I might have been more generous with the review, but on the night I stayed the hotel was fully booked, which pushed my price up over the $150 range. This means I hold the hotel to a higher standard, and based on that measure, this hotel doesn't live up.

I get the impression that this hotel is in business only because of its convenient location to the airport and available conference facilities. Because take that away and all you are left with is a hotel that is past its prime.

Like an Embassy Suites many of the rooms are located around a central atrium. But unlike an Embassy Suites, the rooms are pretty small and the hotel is only 3 floors tall so if there are rowdy kids (or adults) in the pool, you get to hear that reverberating around the atrium until late at night.

Speaking of the atrium, it is tired and dingy looking. Terrible artificial light and a weird blue cover over many of the windows just ruin the atmosphere, or fail to create somewhere warm, inviting and modern.

The rooms have dated cherry colored furniture, but there is a decent sized TV, also refrigerator and microwave. The tub is a standard size, the shower head was noisy and appeared to have two settings; cold and too hot. And on the night I stayed the maids forgot to put conditioner in the room, so I only had shampoo.

The WiFi at the hotel was a decent speed considering the hotel was full and the WiFi was free.

I ate twice in the restaurant. On the first evening I had the reasonably priced prime rib, which wasn't bad, although the potatoes tasted artificial, and the corn wasn't seasoned. The cook who brought me the food was kind of aloof, bordering on rude.

In the morning I had breakfast. The staff were more cheerful and the food was okay, but not earth shattering.

So in short, if you imagine a dated tired looking Embassy Suites, short on height and modern furniture, and then imagine paying 25% more than an Embassy Suites, that's kind of what this hotel is going to be. If you're okay with all that, this may be the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Remember that if you take an atrium room you may be kept up by loud people making noise and drinking...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ZCT808
Center Point, IA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is the 4th year that I've stayed at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center for an annual conference. It has a confusing layout for the property, and nothing has changed in these time.

The carpet is looking a little worn and the cracks in ceilings and walls are patched up poorly.

I will say that it is clean enough.

The front desk staff (2) seemed to be having a difficult day and trying to handle too many things at once. The conversation constantly flowed between phone conversations, themselves, and customers at the desk. It was confusing and didn't make the process smooth or welcoming.

It took about 10 minutes to get checked in. That would have been understandable if there was a crowd checking in, but it was just myself and one other guest.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool for a quieter location.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel at the end of my visit to be close to the airport. Room 207. When checking in I got a little bit of attitude from the clerk when I asked for a room around the pool. I was told there weren't any (don't think she even looked) because the hotel was almost filled up. Don't know how many rooms there are, but this place is huge. I did notice many different groups and a lot of activity.

My room was on the second floor facing the parking lot and airport, very close to the entrance.
Expecting the worse, I was actually surprised. The room was sort of updated. Flat screen t.v. nice desk area and outlets! Lot's of outlets!
Next to the bed, on the desk....Great!

The bathroom was typical. A tight squeeze, no fan. There were little shampoo, lotion and soap, but no conditioner. Thought that was strange.
There were newer bathroom fixtures, but the towel rack was in the shower instead of over the toilet (which I don't like anyway).
I thought, great now all the towels are going to get wet. To my surprise they didn't and I actually liked the towels being so handy and right where you can reach them.

I decided to do some laundry and a Trainee at the front desk was pleasant and helpful, and had no problem giving me the change I needed.

The walk to the laundry room was long and not easy to find since there were no signs posted.
It's on the ground floor and that hallway was stank!
It reeked of stale cigarette smoke, even though the hotel is all non-smoking. Must be a throw back from when you could smoke.
Needs some serious cleaning to get the smell out. I couldn't breathe.

The washer was broken and they offered to do my laundry in their housekeeping laundry room. Which was very nice, but found out it couldn't be done because their washers were all setup to automatically add bleach.

A wasted hour and a half. Not happy. My bet is it's still broken.

The food I had was good , a french dip, and pricey as usual.

They have a free shuttle to and from the airport which is available 24/7 whenever needed.

Overall, it wasn't bad, but it still felt....dowdy? And way over priced at $189.00 a night.

I was in Des Moines in 1984, and I'm almost positive I stayed at this hotel, but it was a Holidome and the set up was a little different.

Even though it has been updated, it still has an old feel to it, just can't put my finger on exactly what.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank pilotswifecincinnati
Burlington, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this location numerous times for business. The bed was comfortable, room was clean but could use some updating. The staff is always exceptional. This place is not my first choice but it's not my last as well. I will be back......

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rock Hill, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Nice room a little pricy. Excellent breakfast freshly prepared. You could order from the menu. Great staff. Near airport and downtown. We spent two nights and enjoyed our stay. Has a holidome with pool, gameroom, and hot tub.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family