I stayed at this hotel at the end of my visit to be close to the airport. Room 207. When checking in I got a little bit of attitude from the clerk when I asked for a room around the pool. I was told there weren't any (don't think she even looked) because the hotel was almost filled up. Don't know how many rooms there are, but this place is huge. I did notice many different groups and a lot of activity.
My room was on the second floor facing the parking lot and airport, very close to the entrance.
Expecting the worse, I was actually surprised. The room was sort of updated. Flat screen t.v. nice desk area and outlets! Lot's of outlets!
Next to the bed, on the desk....Great!
The bathroom was typical. A tight squeeze, no fan. There were little shampoo, lotion and soap, but no conditioner. Thought that was strange.
There were newer bathroom fixtures, but the towel rack was in the shower instead of over the toilet (which I don't like anyway).
I thought, great now all the towels are going to get wet. To my surprise they didn't and I actually liked the towels being so handy and right where you can reach them.
I decided to do some laundry and a Trainee at the front desk was pleasant and helpful, and had no problem giving me the change I needed.
The walk to the laundry room was long and not easy to find since there were no signs posted.
It's on the ground floor and that hallway was stank!
It reeked of stale cigarette smoke, even though the hotel is all non-smoking. Must be a throw back from when you could smoke.
Needs some serious cleaning to get the smell out. I couldn't breathe.
The washer was broken and they offered to do my laundry in their housekeeping laundry room. Which was very nice, but found out it couldn't be done because their washers were all setup to automatically add bleach.
A wasted hour and a half. Not happy. My bet is it's still broken.
The food I had was good , a french dip, and pricey as usual.
They have a free shuttle to and from the airport which is available 24/7 whenever needed.
Overall, it wasn't bad, but it still felt....dowdy? And way over priced at $189.00 a night.
I was in Des Moines in 1984, and I'm almost positive I stayed at this hotel, but it was a Holidome and the set up was a little different.
Even though it has been updated, it still has an old feel to it, just can't put my finger on exactly what.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Des Moines Airport Holiday Inn & Conference Center, Iowa places you minutes from area attractions including Des Moines International Airport with 24 hour free shuttle, Blank Park Zoo, Science Center of Iowa/IMAX theatre, Iowa State Fairground Varied Industries, Wells Fargo Arena, Hy-Vee Hall, Knoxville Raceway, Cownie Soccer Complex, Adventureland, Gray s Lake, and Prairie Meadows Casino. Our hotel is also convenient to businesses such as Wells Fargo, Allied Insurance, as well as area colleges such as Drake University, Des Moines University, Grandview College, DMACC, and Simpson College. If shopping is what you are looking for be sure to visit Jordan Creek Town Center & Mall, Valley West Mall, Southridge Mall, and historic Valley Junction Our hotel has over 200 beautifully decorated guestrooms, each with free wireless Internet, many with high-speed hard wired Internet as well. Many guestrooms come with microwave/refrigerator units, and our hotel has more than 20,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space with ample free parking for groups of 10-500. For your enjoyment we have an indoor pool, whirlpool, video game room, and ping pong in our tropical courtyard. Stop by our Grill restaurant, offering breakfast anytime, hot & cold sandwiches, along with steaks and seafood dinner entrees. Unwind in our bar and catch your favorite sporting event on our huge 68 big screen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn - Airport Hotel Des Moines
- Holiday Inn Des Moines
- Des Moines Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center Des Moines, Iowa