“Frumpy....”

Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center
Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel at the end of my visit to be close to the airport. Room 207. When checking in I got a little bit of attitude from the clerk when I asked for a room around the pool. I was told there weren't any (don't think she even looked) because the hotel was almost filled up. Don't know how many rooms there are, but this place is huge. I did notice many different groups and a lot of activity.

My room was on the second floor facing the parking lot and airport, very close to the entrance.
Expecting the worse, I was actually surprised. The room was sort of updated. Flat screen t.v. nice desk area and outlets! Lot's of outlets!
Next to the bed, on the desk....Great!

The bathroom was typical. A tight squeeze, no fan. There were little shampoo, lotion and soap, but no conditioner. Thought that was strange.
There were newer bathroom fixtures, but the towel rack was in the shower instead of over the toilet (which I don't like anyway).
I thought, great now all the towels are going to get wet. To my surprise they didn't and I actually liked the towels being so handy and right where you can reach them.

I decided to do some laundry and a Trainee at the front desk was pleasant and helpful, and had no problem giving me the change I needed.

The walk to the laundry room was long and not easy to find since there were no signs posted.
It's on the ground floor and that hallway was stank!
It reeked of stale cigarette smoke, even though the hotel is all non-smoking. Must be a throw back from when you could smoke.
Needs some serious cleaning to get the smell out. I couldn't breathe.

The washer was broken and they offered to do my laundry in their housekeeping laundry room. Which was very nice, but found out it couldn't be done because their washers were all setup to automatically add bleach.

A wasted hour and a half. Not happy. My bet is it's still broken.

The food I had was good , a french dip, and pricey as usual.

They have a free shuttle to and from the airport which is available 24/7 whenever needed.

Overall, it wasn't bad, but it still felt....dowdy? And way over priced at $189.00 a night.

I was in Des Moines in 1984, and I'm almost positive I stayed at this hotel, but it was a Holidome and the set up was a little different.

Even though it has been updated, it still has an old feel to it, just can't put my finger on exactly what.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank pilotswifecincinnati
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I have stayed at this location numerous times for business. The bed was comfortable, room was clean but could use some updating. The staff is always exceptional. This place is not my first choice but it's not my last as well. I will be back......

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Nice room a little pricy. Excellent breakfast freshly prepared. You could order from the menu. Great staff. Near airport and downtown. We spent two nights and enjoyed our stay. Has a holidome with pool, gameroom, and hot tub.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was surprised to see all of the positive reviews. I typically do not review the hotels I stay in for business but I did in this case because it was so bad.....

I stayed at the Holiday in Conference center as my usual first four choices were book up with Farm Ex......It was a quicj in Quick out one night stay. I picked Holiday inn from my few options as i perceived it to have the highest and most consistent standards to the alternatives.

So, I found the hallways to be musty, an stale smelling.....Not cigarette smoke but really old Gym sock smelly.

Room was a huge concern.......Again musty and not particularly clean. The bathroom was disgusting with actual mold present in the grout of the bathtub.

Sorry Holiday Inn.....you did not get this stay right at all. I will avoid this property at all costs in the future

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear scooter34,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, Des Moines, IA.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a well cared for 40 year old facility. The rooms are nicely appointed, the beds (and pillows) are first rate. The bathrooms have been updated and are both clean and comfortable. Our room featured both a microwave and a mini-fridge. Typically I believe these make the room look junky. These were tastefully done and somewhat matched the decor of the room.

The hotel is built around a large covered pool area. My guess is at one time this was outdoors but was enclosed in the early 80's (which was a bit of a trend back then).

This place is great for conventions and kids. It seems as though the conventions fill the week and families fill the weekend.

Service at the front desk and housekeeping area was not notch. Friendly, helpful and unobtrusive. I cannot comment on the restaurant and bar as I did not give them a try. And, in my opinion, Des Moines has too many great restaurants for a person to eat at their hotel.

Room Tip: The pool side rooms could be noisy if that kind of thing bothers you...
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Room size, cleanliness, service, accessibility, and layout....all had the makings of a great destination. The central atrium was multi-purpose to include a swimming pool, fountain, dining area, gathering area, and access to hotel services. The restaurant served tasty, excellent and affordable breakfasts. The hotel's location in the DM metro area gave us quick access to downtown, the airport,the zoo, and Summerset Vinyards in Indianola. The rooms were quiet and properly furnished to include a mini-fridge and microwave, big flat screen TV and easy access to ice makers. The beds were comfortable, and pillow choices were both soft and hard. Front desk personnel, and restaurant and service staff all were friendly. Free internet access is a plus...especially in the lobby and offices (since I left my computer at home) OK, there was one minor drawback: the hotel provided shampoo, but not conditioner, as part of room amenities. We had to ask for, and were given, conditioner. Minor detail...but watch for it.

Room Tip: some rooms open to the atrium, others to the building exterior. the south side was the most quiet du...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bob C
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our room was nice sized. We enjoyed the internet in our room. The only bad thing was that they didn't have hair conditioner. You would think that a 3 star hotel would have had that. The hair dryer was new and worked well. The plus of a small refrig and microwave is also a plus.

1  Thank LCHS1972