Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown
$85
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$78
Doubletree.com
$159
Hyatt.com
  • Breakfast included
Des Lux Hotel(Des Moines)
$199
Hotwire.com
$169
Cancelon
$208
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmercy hospitalstay at holiday innsthe shuttle driverconvention centerwedding receptionwells fargo arenaonsite restaurantpleasant staybed and pillowsfree shuttlenice lobbylobby areaan older propertyroom was clean and comfortableroom was largestaff was friendlydowntown
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Stayed here during the 2008 Farm Progress Show, which was taking place 45 minutes up the road in Boone. It was a fairly nice hotel - pretty much isolated from any meaningful surroundings however. I think it would be a great place to stay if you were visiting someone in the hospital directly across the street. Nevertheless, the interstate was very easy to access from here.

A big plus for this hotel was its people. They run a shuttle essentially wherever you want to go downtown, and, better yet, they will pick you up. Sure, it will ding you a few dollars in tips, but this is a perk that really helps to make the price worthwhile, especially if you're not from the area. The driver even took us to the mall, which was a long ways out of his way (I don't think he was supposed to).

Oh, by the way, don't bother eating in the restaraunt, it's NOT that good.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2008

After the poor reviews that this hotel has gotten in the past, we were a little concerned. So we stopped by to see for ourselves.
Granted, they are an older property, but what they lack in newness, they make up for in cleanliness and hospitality. We were greeted by a fresh, modern lobby, attentive reservationist, and an excellent manager, who was willing to show us rooms, listen to our concerns and assist us in finding the perfect room in his hotel.
I find the staff very pro-active and willing to go the extra mile.
I recommend this hotel for sure!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2008

This hotel was booked for me by an agency and I didn't have much choice, as caucus time in Des Moines means hotel rooms are at a premium. I had a room with one king bed, a mirrored wall (boy, don't need that in the morning) and bath. No fridge or microwave, which became very tiresome during the week I had to stay there. It can be extremely cold in Des Moines in January and the long slog from a distant parking lot when the first lot filled up got old. There is parking under the hotel but it filled up as well, and was kind of creepy. The hotel restaurant staff members were lovely but the breakfast buffet remained unchanged day to day, plus it is an extra charge on top of your room charge, unlike the big chains like Hampton. You will need a car because the location is not convenient to anything, though you would need a car at any Des Moines hotel as it is not a city with much public transit. I did not have the problems with a smell of smokers as reported in other posts. It was difficult to get the temperature right in the room - either I was freezing or roasting.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2008

I travel to Des Moines a lot for business and its always difficult to get a room. I've stayed at the Holiday inn a few times as a last resort but never enjoyed it. The food is bad, the bar is smokey and the rooms are old. Its far from town - but not far enough to take a cab. They have a shuttle but you can wait a long time before it comes to get you. I will likely stay here again - but only after i've called all my other usual places

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Found ourselves in downtown Des Moines needing a room and saw the Holiday inn from a distance. We went in and asked if there were rooms available... courteous staff was very helpful.

Of course, as soon as we got to the rooms we knew it was a mistake... everything was so old and dated -- the rug looked like it would have gotten up and walked out if it could have managed it. The bathroom was tiny - and yes that shower head is VERY low! The beds were lumpy and the bedding was terrible. Sirens from the freeway woke us up throughout the night.

The worst problem, however, was the smoke! We were on a non-smoking floor but it felt like I was sitting in bed with a carton of ciggies. While taking my shower I actually thought there might be someone sitting on the john smoking -- the smell came right through the vent into the room.

All of our clothes reeked of cigarettes when we left and this was after less than 12 hours in that place.
Stay away unless you like your second hand smoke heavy!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family