Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown
$85
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$78
$208
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
$169
Des Lux Hotel(Des Moines)
$199
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmercy hospitalstay at holiday innsthe shuttle driverconvention centerwedding receptionwells fargo arenaonsite restaurantpleasant staybed and pillowsfree shuttlenice lobbylobby areaan older propertyroom was clean and comfortableroom was largestaff was friendlydowntown
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is a nice hotel with good amenities, but our room, located on the 8th floor and facing the highway, was surprisingly noisy. We heard traffic all night, and especially in the morning as the rush hour started.

Our room was very comfortable with good Internet access and plenty of outlets for computers and gadgets. The view of the City was outstanding. The rate we got on hotwire dot com made this a very attractive place to stay and a good value, but as I said, the noise was very off-putting.

There is no complimentary breakfast and no place nearby other than driving. The buffet was expensive for what it was.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bocaboy2591
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Bocaboy2591,
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Holiday Inn Downtown while you were in Des Moines recently. I appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your stay. I am pleased to see the high marks you gave us in regards to cleanliness and value. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our amenities. I am sorry to hear that noise was an issue for you. I do apologize for any inconvenience that caused. I also appreciate your input in regards to breakfast. I have passed your comments along to management. I hope we have the opportunity to not meet but exceed your expectations in the future. We would love to have you as a guest again.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed on 8th flr loved the view. Room was clean and very comfortable. Front desk was friendly and check in was a breeze. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant and it was obvious they did not have enough help for the shift. JJ the server was fantastic and tried as best as she could to serve all the tables in the restaurant. JJ had a smile each time she came to check on our table.

Additionally, I noticed a young man named Matt who could see the restaurant was short staffed and jumped right in and helped bus all the tables and helped the manager ensure all the customers were taken care of. This young man demonstrated such team work it was noticed by my husband and myself. We were so pleased to see how well the staff worked together although short staffed and ensured our experience was a positive one.

Please thank Matt and JJ for their outstanding commitment to customer service and team work!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Conita60515
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Conita60515,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you found your check in, guest room, and service to be satisfactory. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the view too. I have passed your review along to all management and Matt and JJ as well. All of us here at the Holiday Inn Downtown take great pride in our hotel and the services we offer. It is so nice to hear that our efforts were noticed by you and your husband. We truly appreciate your business and hope to have you as a guest in the future. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The lobby service was great. We walked in and my kids commented on how posh the lobby appeared. Our room on the 5th floor was excellent but the hallway looks dated. The shuttle service to the airport was speedy and friendly. The hotel is a quick walk to downtown. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear gl0balmama,
I want to thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We appreciate every review as they point out what we are doing well and what we can improve on for the future. I'm happy to hear your children enjoyed the remodel. I appreciate your input about the hallways and the high marks you gave us in regards to rooms and service. I have passed your review along to all management and staff. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel was picked for me for a conference as I would not choose to stay downtown or at a hotel without free continental breakfast. There's some wear in the bathrooms, the beds are pretty bouncy, the restaurant is pretty expensive, the internet is slow, and my room is a bit small, but at least it's clean and the shampoo smells nice.
The biggest problem I've had so far is temperature control. I arrived about 5:00 and turned on the air to get my room cooled off. When I left at 6:00 the temperature was only down one degree but I didn't think much of it. I then left until 10:00. When I returned, my room was actually two degrees warmer than when I'd left. I called to the front desk to see what was up and was told that they had switched the temperature controls to neutral due to the cooler weather. Apparently you can't choose your own temperature control setting, you can only have more or less of what they are offering.
The suggestion I received was to open my window. First of all, my window faces the interstate, which was already noisy. Secondly, the latch on my window was stuck and they had to send someone up to open it. Thirdly, there is no screen. To add insult to injury, I can't open my window more than three inches due to a clamp on the slider (in case I decide to jump from the building I suppose). This means that my room is not cooling off very quickly since the wind direction is not in my favor. Since it's also late, I'm anticipating that since I'd like to continue to cool down my room I'll need to leave my window and curtains open which means I'm in for a noisy night filled with light pollution from the city.
So far, it's not been a very pleasant experience. I'd rather be across town at one of my preferred "two star" hotels with fast internet, temperature control, continental breakfast and better mattresses.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd numbered room as they are opposite the noisy interstate.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear velcrofingers,
I appreciate your taking the time to offer your thoughts regarding your stay with us. All of us here at the Holiday Inn Downtown take great pride in our hotel and services and strive to be the best Holiday Inn there is. We take all reviews, good and bad, very seriously as they allow us to know what we do well and where there is room for improvement. I am sorry to hear we fell below your expectations. I have passed along your review with all staff members so your issues may be addressed. I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Parking is easy (and free). Check in was nice. Lobby is nice and there are restaurants in the lobby. Room nice and clean and and as expected for Holiday Inn. Others have noted the noise from the express way- and that is very true. Road noise really is significant. Normally I just turn on the fan for some white noise, but I didn't see this as solution in this room. Also- other noise--- I could clearly hear the TV and conversations of the people in the room next to mine. They were not shouting, but just normal conversational tones. I was working long days so came back to have a rest between my shifts and it was noisy in the afternoons too. This time it was the cleaning crew having conversations in the halls and it seemed that the vacuum was run continuously outside my door for the hour I was trying to sleep. Just plain noisy and poorly insulated for sound. I got a breakfast voucher. I don't think everyone did because some were paying a tab. I am Holiday Inn platinum so sometimes we get perks like that. The breakfast bar was quite good. The pool looked inviting, but I didn't use it. Internet worked very well.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear roadtripper10,
Thank you so much for offering a thorough and candid review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of the free parking, that check in went smoothly. I am so sorry to hear about the noise issues. I have passed along your input to management so we may better address these issues in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay. I hope we have another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.