“Great Hotel”

Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I normally do not stay at Holiday Inns; however, it was booked last minute and was the only one available. I was pleasantly surprised. The front desk employees were so welcoming and actually seemed like they cared. The bar / restaurant area was beautiful and the food was delicious! I normally do not take the time to write reviews, but I was so overwhelmed with how all the employees were so friendly. They really made the stay enjoyable. The rooms were good. I only stayed a night was had been up over 24 hours, so the bed felt wonderful to me. I would go back again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear C C,
I am so happy we had the opportunity to accommodate you during your recent stay in Des Moines. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our staff. We strive to provide the best service and to be the best Holiday Inn around. It was so kind of you to take the time out of your busy to review your stay with us. I sincerely hope we have the pleasure of accommodating you again in the future. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I've stayed here twice when getting my son off to school at Drake U. Great location for that as you can get to the school in 5 minutes via 235 which is right next to the hotel. There is nothing to see in the immediate neighborhood as you are across the expressway from downtown and all the restaurants etc. but is is a very short drive to downtown. I would say this is a more upscale type of hotel with a great price compared to say a Marriott or other nice hotel chain. But given the better price it is missing a few things. While the rooms are quite clean there is a bit of wear in the bathrooms. The lobby etc is quite nice. They need a breakfast bar with decent coffee and muffins etc. The wireless is very slow and I had to use the computers in the lobby for Internet. Staff is very nice. Room was quiet. Overall this is a great place if you want something nicer than a budget hotel but want a reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2013
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Marilee28,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Des Moines. I appreciate your kind and candid review. I am happy to see the high marks you gave us as well as the suggestions you offered. I have passed your comments along to the General Manager as well as the owner. I was especially happy with your comments regarding our staff. We take great pride in our hotel and the service we offer. Your comments help us to improve for the future. We hope to be of service to you again in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I just came in one night and was gone the next morning, however I was pleasantly surprised to find that though this property is dated, the lobby and bar area have been redone. Rooms were lovely, bathrooms small, parking free and so was the internet. Staff extremely nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MBB66066

Dear MBB66066,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown while you were in Des Moines. Thank you as well for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the renovated lobby, restaurant, and lounge. I am especially happy to hear that you were pleased with our staff and service. I hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel has great potential. The rooms were extremely clean which I loved, my most highest concern . The hospital has a great location and provides great views if you get a downtown view. The hospital had a revolving restaurant and a bar on the top floor which would have been awesome if it were open. But due to recent times it is isolated to conventions and such. Was denied access to the premises. Overall was a good hotel but in addition there is no complimentary breakfast and the bar bleeds you with ridiculous prices. But thank you goes out to Justine who took care of my room in housekeeping, she was the saving grace for this facility.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear kevin c,

Thank you for your feedback. I highly appreciate your compliments on our rooms and I am glad that you liked our location.

On the other hand, I apologize if you found some of our rates to be expensive. Nevertheless, we thank you for your valuable feedback and the special mention you have made to one of our staff. It was real pleasure to learn that you were satisfied with most aspects of your stay.

We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon for another enjoyable stay.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 4, 2013

In spite of ongoing renovation I found the property to be just fine. The staff was wonderful, the bar and food at the bar was awesome, and I appreciated the underground parking and central location. I didn't find the beds overly comfortable but they were adequate. I had two queens and I much preferably a king room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Jim A,
Thank you so much for offering your thoughts regarding your stay with us. I am happy to see the high marks you gave us in regards to cleanliness and service. I have shared your review with all staff members so we may improve for the future. I am so glad you chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown while in Des Moines. I hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have mixed emotions about this particular hotel.

I used this hotel due a medical emergency with a family member. It provides family of loved ones in Mercy a very close place to stay, with a shuttle to take you to and from the hospital. This is a great partnership that the hotel and hospital have.

I felt the rate was pretty steep ($89) considering the partnership, and I believe that if you’re loved one is not in ICU or CCU, better rates and hotels are not much of a drive.

The staff was extremely friendly!

We got in late from the hospital so we thought we would order room service, the hotel booklet had two menus. We did not know it, but one was no longer accurate. We ordered what we thought was two entrée’s and a sandwich with drinks. Should have been roughly $40 with tax and gratuity, the bill was $65. Apparently the “new” menu the entrée’s don’t come with the sides so we were charged for multiple items that we believed to be included. I would have to say for a $10 sandwich it was disgusting….my wife and son enjoyed the chicken strips. It took three separate times to get our bill corrected. I would utilize other restaurants or even the hospital cafeteria if I was going stay there again.

The staff member took our booklet and kept it, that wouldn’t have been a big deal, but not being from the area, a lot of valuable information was in the booklet. I’m not sure why the old menu just couldn’t be removed?

The room we had was on the first floor, and being next to a hospital, we heard sirens all night long. I would try to get a room at a much higher level in the hotel and maybe the sound wouldn’t be as bad. I was also not much of a fan of the beds, so between the beds and sirens it was a very long night. The rooms where okay, defiantly one of the worst we’ve ever stayed in for a Holiday Inn, but not the worst room we have stayed in.

My last complaint would be the air in the room. We felt the room was warm, so we adjusted the thermostat down to 66 in order to cool it off. The room temperature never got below 71 degrees. 71 is a comfortable temperature, but it felt much warmer than that in the room.

Certain situations this hotel would be ideal due to location alone, but most times I believe better could be found.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at a higher floor level, that might reduce the noise level.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank iowaguntrader

Dear iowafreak,
I want to thank you for taking the time to offer your review of your recent stay with us. We take every review, good and bad, seriously as they help us to improve for future guests and hopefully your next stay with us. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations as we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. I have shared your review with all of our staff, and I thank you for offering it.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I recently stayed here for a single night due to a 2-day seminar I was attending. Service was decent, rooms are okay but need renovating. This hotel is right along HWY 235 going through the main downtown area of Des Moines. It is also located on the Mercy Hospital campus so it you need a close hotel for doctor's appoints, this is actually within walking distance of some of the medical buildings. Also close to the Wells Fargo arena & Hy-vee Hall; both are used for large tradeshows, conferences, concerts, etc.

There is a bit of hwy traffic noise and the walls are rather thin so be prepared with earplugs or headphones if noise is a bother. Main floor has a restaurant & bar that has lunch & dinner options. Conference rooms have been remodeled on the main floor but the rooms upstairs on the "tower" floor have not been re-done yet.

All in all, an okay hotel to stay in . . . will be better in the future after remodeling has been completed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear JanetCat73,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the noise during your stay and the renovation. We will look into this point. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.