“Noisy, dirty and terrible services”

Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is next to an express way and a hospital. Unfortunately, the windows are so old that they don't provide any sound proof. Ambulance and helicopter noises are also part of the location problem. The toilette in room 708 has a black rim at the water level while the toilette in room 121 has disgusting yellow marks. The coffee maker in my room didn't work. And daily room service was limited to changing a few towels. The basement walkway from the garage to the elevator smelled so moldy and was worsened by some fruity fragance. It is the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I will never return to this place.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank VNwildrose
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear VNwildrose,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We take great pride in our property and our service, and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations as well as our own. I appreciate your detailed review, and it has been shared with all of the staff so we may address your concerns. I wish you had made us aware of your issues before you left, so we would have had the opportunity to address the problem and improve your experience while you were still here. I sincerely hope that you allow us the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future. Thank you again for your review.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel is situated in a great location to enjoy downtown and to get other places around the greater Des Moines area. The downfall of the location is the expressway and the hospital nearby. I had a room that overlooked the expressway and in the middle of the night was awoken a couple of times for ambulances rushing to the hospital. In addition, my room was directly across from the elevator so I did not have a good nights sleep. The hotel was being renovated and what was completed was beautiful and the staff helpful but I am not likely to return the next time I am in town.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SpartanJess
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear SpartanJess,
I want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to offer your thorough and candid review of your stay. We take every review very seriously and appreciate the input offered. I am so happy to see the high marks you gave us in regards to value, location, cleanliness, and service. I am also glad to hear that you were pleased with the renovation of the public space. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good night's sleep. I want to let you know that we are currently working with the hospital to find ways to decrease the noise level around the hotel in order to improve our guests' experience. I hope you give us the opportunity to show you the effects of our efforts the next time you are in Des Moines. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I did not spend much time inside of the hotel other than showering, having a drink at the bar and then returning after a wedding and reception.
The hotel was easy to find--right off of the interstate. Very simple to get to and from.
I found the room to be clean and the staff helpful. The bar was nice, with decent prices.
I would definitely return to this hotel for an extended stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear JDS09,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while you were in Des Moines recently. I also want to thank you for your kind and candid words regarding your stay. I am especially happy to hear that you found our staff to be helpful, your rooms clean, and the location to be ideal. We would be thrilled to have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future. Thank you again for taking the time out of your day to offer your input in regards to your stay with us.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've Stayed here many times on business the past seven years. Always a great stay. Last night we attended a wedding reception on the top Tower floor. Everything was first class! Pork loin dinner was superb! The speed at the way the meal was served was amazing! One of the servers I recognized from normally working mornings in the restaurant. This morning she was working in the restaurant after getting home late last night. Front desk crew and catering director were top notch as usual. Breakfast was delicious and just as I ordered with substitutions. My favorite hotel in Des Moines by far.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Cy2015,
Thank you so much for your wonderful and thorough review of our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you found the food at the wedding to be great, as well as breakfast in the restaurant. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the service received by the front desk staff and our Director of Catering. We love to hear that we are your favorite hotel, and we can't wait to serve you again in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel, overall, isn't worth staying at until they finish the renovations (hopefully the rooms and hallways are next). The bar, restaurant and lobby are very nice - clean lines, nice decor, modern and well maintained. The room was the polar opposite. I stayed in a junior suite with a king bed. The bed was okay, the carpet is old, crispy in spots, the windows leak and have paint chipping and rust areas. Overall the room smelled somewhat foul or as if it had been a smoking room for years and changed into a non-smoking room. Also, I attempted to iron a shirt in the morning on an ironic board with a severely wrinkled board cover :(

On an up note, the staff was very attentive, very nice, great attitudes and very good service. If the rooms were under $100 per night, I'd consider this hotel a good value but at $150, it was a waste of money (and I was traveling on business so didn't pay myself).

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank JasonMais

Dear JasonMais,
I am pleased to find out that you enjoyed the renovated lobby, restaurant, and bar. I am especially pleased to hear that you found the staff and service received to be great. Unfortunately, it sounds as though you found the guest rooms to not meet your expectations. In 2010 every guest room was renovated which consisted of new carpeting, new showerheads, new beds and bedding, flat screen televisions, and soft and firm pillow options. We are constantly striving to improve our product and services in order to enhance our guests' stay and experience. I appreciate your taking the time to review your recent stay, and hope to have the opportunity to greet you again in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Recently stayed here for a soccer tournament after we had to leave the Holiday Inn Des Moines Northwest because they oversold their rooms. This is a recent,y remodeled hotel that is nice for a Holiday Inn. Alicia at the front desk was excellent in checking our team in and is an asset to this property. The main level is new and open, the rooms were clean and the underground parking was nice. Our team also ate at the restaurant where Jennifer, the restaurant manager, welcomed us. She is such a pleasant and customer-focused employee. Her and the front desk added to our overall pleasant experience of this property. The hotel is next to a hospital, so there is some siren noise, but it is not too bad. Overall, a nice property.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear nrg132,
Thank you so much for your kind review of our property. I am especially pleased to hear that Alecia and the front desk staff, as well as Jennifer and the restaurant staffed enhanced your experience at the hotel. We truly enjoyed having you as a guest, and hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here for a big soccer tournament. Rooms were adequate. Bathrooms are very small and have paper thin walls. The restaurant downstairs "Genivieves" is on restaraunt.com so check that out for a discount. Front desk staff hustled and worked pretty well with our large group. The restaurant was good for breakfast, but the bar staff was incredibly pushy.
Beds were comfy and housekeeping did a nice job. I think they are in the process of remodeling. Internet and parking were complimentary

Room Tip: To avoid hwy noise, ask for a room on a high floor that overlooks the parking lot
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cschuten
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear cschuten,
Thank you for offering your candid thoughts regarding your stay. I am glad to hear that found the location, cleanliness, restaurant and front desk staff, and the food to meet your expectations. I am sorry to hear about your feelings in regards to the lounge staff. We appreciate all reviews, and your comments will be shared with our staff in order to improve for future guests and hopefully your next stay with us. Thank you agian for taking the time to review your stay here.