“Terrible Experience”

Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Room 503 had cracked mirror tiles on the walls
We were given a room with 2 beds (for our anniversary?) I had even sent an email to the hotel before we arrived explaining that this was our anniversary and received no response
No free local calls
No complimentary breakfast bar,
Doors slamming all night long due to teens roaming the hallways (track meet in town).

I asked the front desk if they would cancel our 2nd night reservation or put us in a king room. Their response was no.
The hotel is billed as being downtown, its on the other side of the highway,
The bar was dirty and sticky from spilled drinks, and the bartender was even more rude.

This was a terrible experience

Room Tip: Dont bother, go stay at the Marriott, its worth it
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JimInKC
holiday1050, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2011

First I want to thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Downtown. I am sorry that you feel that your experience was a DISASTER, however looking at the history of the reservation it was made for a two double bed room, if we would have known ahead of time that it was your anniversary we definitely would have made it a special evening for you. I am sorry about the crack in the mirror there was tape on it for protection. I do hope that you do give us another try when you are in Des Moines.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

This hotel is conveniently located in the downtown (for all corporate offices) and near by the airport. I was sweetly surprised by the welcome goody bag that contains some snacks and water bottle which helped me a lot as I reached the hotel past midnight due to flight delays.

Morning breakfast was awesome and service is cordial. There is a bar located in the lounge which is the best place to pass the time if you don't get sleep.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Rajani975
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Myself, 3 teenage girls & another female friend recently stayed here for a tournament we were going to in Des Moines for the weekend. From the moment we arrived at the hotel until the time we checked out we were provided with the most friendly, sincere service I have received at a hotel in a long time. We went to the front desk several times for different things (an extra cot, toothpaste, extra towels, etc) & each time treated with great & friendly service. The room & bathroom were very clean & the roll away we asked for was even surprisingly comfy! We will definitely stay here whenever we are in Des Moines in the future!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank dlm1005
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Unfortuanly we were stay there to be close to the hospital for my mothers heart surgery. We had the jr suite(large room with king bed, couch, chair, frig and microwave) the 1st night because we had points to use. When we asked where we would have to move for the next 3 nights, they let us stay in the orginal room for the hospital rate they gave my dad.
The pool and lobby was very nice. So was the bar and restuarant.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madtravler711
Reviewed November 29, 2010

If you're looking for value, this may be the hotel for you. But don't expect alot from of this outdated, 3 star hotel, except a clean and comfortable stay. There are no flat screen TV's in your room, the furnishings are old, the windows are worse than drafty, there's a full-blown breeze. But hey! Thats what your private thermostat is for.
We have stayed in updated 3 star hotels in the area, but also paid more for the privilage. Granted, there were issues that, if we were staying for more than one night, would have been a major concern...like the clogged bathtub. It is true, if you have read prior reviews regarding this hotel, the outside highway traffic noise is rather loud. But again, I refer back to the crappy windows.
Before leaving, we had breakfast and ordered from the menu. Again, nothing special. I thought my food was ok, but nothing to rave about. My wife thought the food tasted "freezer burned".
All said....I believe we got a decent value for our money. However, we did go through Priceline.
Honestly, we'll probably check out other hotels in the area when we return. But we wouldn't disgard this hotel as an option in the future.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank midwesttravelerMpls
Reviewed November 22, 2010

While the rooms at this hotel were nothing special corporate rates with their convenient shuttle service sure made up for it.
But the crown jewel had to be their first class breakfast offered free of charge to Priority Club members. Between the fresh fruit buffet and either hot or cold cereal it' s the best thing I' ve ever had at Holiday Inn yet !
I' d stay here again

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank xCNKen
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I stayed here one night as my son and I were in town for a sporting event. You can't beat the price, but just know going in that it is an average hotel. The room we stayed in was clean and had all the typical amenities you expect in a hotel. Reception on a few of the TV channels was poor as we tried to watch some college football games. The one complaint I had was the heating/air system. When we got to our room, the thermostat read 68 degrees. This was in early October on a somewhat cold/windy day. I turned it up into the 70's. After an hour it still read 68. I called the front desk and was told they still had the air conditioning system on, so I couldn't run the heat, but they offered to have a space heater brought to the room.

The breakfast buffet had all the usual offernings, but I didn't think the food was that good. The cinnamon toast sticks tasted like they were leftover from the day before and the price seemed a little high for the quality.

The staff I encountered were all very nice and helpful, which is always great to have when you're out of town.

The best part of the stay was the complimentary internet access. I'm always amazed at the high-dollar hotels that charge high fees for internet access and then the places that are often the cheapest to stay offer free internet service. Again, another customer service perk that should be standard in every hotel.

Again, the price of staying here is great. For a single night, I would stay here again, but for an extended stay I would probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family