“Worst Holiday Inn Express Ever”

Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Worst Holiday Inn Express Ever”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This property is located in a neighborhood quite a bit off the interstate. The surrounding houses do not make me feel comfortable walking around by myself at night, although there were no situations while we where there. The hotel does not feature a pool or hot tub. The breakfast room is really more a corner of their lobby. The only nice feature this hotel posesses is a fenced in court yard. Of corse my request to have a courtyard room when booking wasn't honored. The room was not very clean and I will not be returning. My guess is the only reason this hotel is still operating is because there isn't another property close to Drake University.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Betty F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Betty F,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property.

However, I sincerely apologize that you did not find our location to your liking and deeply regret the dissatisfaction you had with the room condition. Comments such as yours are very important as it allows us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements.

It is our hotel's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We value your custom and as always we remain at your disposal.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in order to be close to Drake University, where she had some business. It is very close to the university, but in a rundown neighborhood. It was difficult to find a parking space at times during the day. I was concerned that we would hear street noise from our room, but was delighted to have near-total quiet, thanks to all rooms facing an inner courtyard and being screened from the street by an enclosed inner walkway. The room was very clean, and we found the beds exceedingly comfortable. Breakfast was quite good in terms of including many selections. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flagtraveler
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 2, 2013

What a disappointment. We stayed at this hotel during the annual Hyvee Ironkids race.

Pros: Great continental breakfast, good front desk staff
Cons: No pool, hotel is in a former university dormitory

We stayed here with three young children on a Friday evening. We were somewhat concerned about the location of this hotel as it is near Drake University and many of the homes around it are lower income and look run-down. When we checked in the front desk staff was very nice.

This hotel is actually rented space from Drake University. It is a two-story former dorm and feels like it. I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay here unless they were doing business at Drake or they were a sports team playing there. The rooms smelled overwhelmingly of air freshener, and despite being a 100 degree dry day in August, the room was damp and musty, even with running the air conditioner non-stop. We tried to vent the room by opening a window but then we had trouble getting the window shut later.

I did not notice when booking online that this property has no pool. Don't ALL major hotel chains have pools now days? For $114 per night, I would expect it. My kids were sorely disappointed when they found out we couldn't swim.

MLK/Fleur was under construction the next day but the front desk staff had no clue how to direct us around it.

My only positive is that the front desk staff was courteous, and the morning staff worked hard to get breakfast served earlier than normal for a crowd of kid athletes and their families who had to be at an event by 7 a.m. The guys servicing the breakfast was great at replenishing healthy items like bananas and milk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear kcprgal,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. It is regrettable we fell short of your expectations this particular day. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Connie D
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Pros:
Per night rate was very reasonable
Typical breakfast selection
Clean room
Comfortable bed
Friendly Staff
Large TV
Good amount of channels

Cons:
Old fixtures and furniture
Old style heating/air unit
Needs more power outlets

While the hotel rooms looked older than most ive stayed in, for the price this hotel was good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Topanga, California
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Was in Des Moines for both work and recreation and chose this Intercontinental Hotels Group property due to both location just outside downtown and mainly positive TA reviews. This location is just a few minutes from downtown Des Moines and maybe 20 minutes to the airport on surface streets. You must have a car unless your only destination is Drake University. There are small restaurants and shops close by. It took me only a few minutes to drive to a Dahl’s to pick up some groceries.

The hotel is located in an older tree lined neighborhood. The hotel is nicely kept and clean. The staff are polite and correct even if not particularly friendly. My room was clean and good sized though one could spot signs here and there of wear and tear on the carpets, furniture, lampshades, etc. The AC was on the loud-ish side but not an issue for me. The shower stream was strong and welcome after a day in the heat outside. No problems with the Wi-fi. I didn’t get a chance to use the business center. Plenty of parking outside and no problems with cigarette smells. My room was pretty quiet.

The breakfast included with the room rate was more than adequate. The coffee was merely passable but the biscuits and sausage gravy really got the day going. Also fruit selection, toast and pastries. They also had a pancake-making machine which I didn’t try. The breakfast area only has a few tables and unwiped spills, clutter, and empty coffee carafes indicated that it wasn’t as well looked after as in many other comparable lodging properties.

Keeping in mind that this is an “Express” brand hotel meaning it won’t be offering the kind of luxury services of more the more high brow properties, I thought that room rates could also be more aligned with its “Express” branding but overall I like this property primarily for its location near but right in downtown.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Biwabik, Minnesota
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The hotel is the only hotel in the Drake neighborhood. It is convienient if you have business at Drake. The place is clean, staff are nice, the breakfast was not the greatest...but it is free with your room rate. The Drake Diner is right next door
..I would recommend eating there. The beds were very comfortable. A/C was a little loud...but I could deal with it. The price is high...but all the hotels in this area (comparing with downtown) are in this price range. So...not unreasonable in comparision. I would stay here again. I recommend if you need to be at Drake.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel was pretty nice. Cheking in and out was quick and easy. The room was clean. They give you nice toiletries, I like that they include a makeup removal wipe.
The free breakfast was generous. The sausage, biscuit, and cinnamon roll I tried was good. The scrambled eggs were grotty! The oragne juice was watered down and nasty. Maybe the machine was on the fritz? I would avoid those two items, but there was a wide enough variety to still make it a great amenity.
But that's about all you get. I paid $100 on Hotwire, and even at that "bargain" I felt that was a bit much to pay for an average hotel in a neighborhood in Des Moines, IA.
Speaking of Hotwire- I live in Des Moines and intended to book a hotel downtown for a "stay-cation" and was annoyed to find that they considered this hotel to be in the downtown area even though it's a couple neighborhoods away. Something to keep in mind.

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear mpaulette,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel. As for the rates, we strive to provide a competitive rate in the area. It is not our intent to inconvenient our guests instead provide rate options that make sense. Nevertheless, I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.