“Costs too much for what you get”

Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
“Costs too much for what you get”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel was pretty nice. Cheking in and out was quick and easy. The room was clean. They give you nice toiletries, I like that they include a makeup removal wipe.
The free breakfast was generous. The sausage, biscuit, and cinnamon roll I tried was good. The scrambled eggs were grotty! The oragne juice was watered down and nasty. Maybe the machine was on the fritz? I would avoid those two items, but there was a wide enough variety to still make it a great amenity.
But that's about all you get. I paid $100 on Hotwire, and even at that "bargain" I felt that was a bit much to pay for an average hotel in a neighborhood in Des Moines, IA.
Speaking of Hotwire- I live in Des Moines and intended to book a hotel downtown for a "stay-cation" and was annoyed to find that they considered this hotel to be in the downtown area even though it's a couple neighborhoods away. Something to keep in mind.

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear mpaulette,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel. As for the rates, we strive to provide a competitive rate in the area. It is not our intent to inconvenient our guests instead provide rate options that make sense. Nevertheless, I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I'm not sure what "what an awful hotel" was talking about-this is a great hotel. Yes, its small and does not have a pool, fitness center, etc. How much time were you spending there; get out and enjoy the city! We have student at Drake and were very leary about staying at a hotel on campus. We were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. The front desk staff was very helpful and answered any and all questions we had. We have traveled to many hotels and experiences "breakfasts". This one was definately the best of the best.
If you consider staying there for an event at Drake make your reservation far in advance as they fill up very quickly. That also tells me that others are also happy with this hotel.

Room Tip: For special events at Drake, make reservations early; they fell up quickly
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WisFisch
Iowa
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a very nice place in a nice neighborhood in central Des Moines. Much better for us than the suburban wasteland places, and cheaper and less ostentatious than the hotels right downtown. We found it very convenient to downtown and East Village, or to the Art Museum and Isotope ave. Though hot breakfast is free there's a nice diner next door. And the service was excellent. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The room was spotless when I arrived...housekeeping was fantastic. I did an inspection of the room and found no hairs or stains. The front desk associate MJ was very nice and answered all my questions. Staff was friendly. Complimentary breakfast was delicious and the variety was appreciated. Definitely ask about restaurant hot spots as there are quite a few in the area of Des Moines. The Drake Diner is right next door to the hotel and they offer excellent food. They are currently remodeling so extra amenities are being added (new elevator and a fitness center). I highly recommend this property to any friends/family of Drake students. I have family who attends Drake so I will be staying here from time to time when I come and visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank hammerofthor
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I can not believe that they call this place a Holiday Inn, it makes the name look bad. We stayed here for a full week and it was torture. Every morning the man who made the breakfast always burned the eggs, scrambled and the omelet. Even when I asked if he could maybe make the properly in a polite way he would not listen. It is time for this hotel to hire one person who makes the breakfast instead of making the manager do it. The rooms were ok at most they felt very dirty and dusty. When I tried to use the desk I figured out someone else broke the drawer that is typically underneath the desk. So this cheap hotel just decided to turn it around. The amenities oh what am I talking about there are none aside from breakfast no pool, fitness center, laundry. I was left asking the front desk What do you have? I would not recommend this place especially for the money it is not worth it and this is probably my worst Holiday Inn experience to date. In the room the beds were ok but they felt old and you could feel the springs. The bathroom door in my room would not even open without a very strong jerk to pry it open. Also there was no ventilation system so if someone took a shower the moisture would spread into the room making it feel very muggy and uncomfortable. This hotel should be rennovated and should not be called a Holiday Inn. I have been a Priority Club Member for 8 years now and this was unacceptable based on the standards that have been met by other Holiday Inn's.

Room Tip: Dont Stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank the98dude
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear the98dude,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide a good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the overall dissatisfaction of your stay. I am very sorry for the unacceptable service you received as well as for the level of cleanliness at our hotel. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and I am confident they will take necessary steps to improve our guest experience. Despite your disappointment, I hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Pros:
- the hotel is right in a neighborhood
- breakfast was good
- friendly staff
- patio in the courtyard
- clean

Cons:
- bed and pillows a bit lumpy
- patio needs attention; they've given up on growing anything and weeds are growing up through the cracks (but I still enjoyed the fact that they had one)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We were very impressed with the service and the rooms. When we asked to switch from our original room because it was next to the elevator and soda machine, the desk staff was very accommodating. The room was large, pleasant, and quiet. Everything worked well. I particularly liked being able to open the windows to let in outside air. The breakfast was minimal, but it was nice to count on juice and cereal in the morning. We will be returning on our next visit to family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family