The hotel was pretty nice. Cheking in and out was quick and easy. The room was clean. They give you nice toiletries, I like that they include a makeup removal wipe.
The free breakfast was generous. The sausage, biscuit, and cinnamon roll I tried was good. The scrambled eggs were grotty! The oragne juice was watered down and nasty. Maybe the machine was on the fritz? I would avoid those two items, but there was a wide enough variety to still make it a great amenity.
But that's about all you get. I paid $100 on Hotwire, and even at that "bargain" I felt that was a bit much to pay for an average hotel in a neighborhood in Des Moines, IA.
Speaking of Hotwire- I live in Des Moines and intended to book a hotel downtown for a "stay-cation" and was annoyed to find that they considered this hotel to be in the downtown area even though it's a couple neighborhoods away. Something to keep in mind.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Greetings from Des Moines, Iowa, home of the Drake Bulldogs and Drake Relays. Holiday Inn Express at Drake is at the heart of this city's renaissance neighborhood and ideally located right on campus. Seconds away are the Knapp Center, and Drake Stadium. Dining is available next door at the retro-themed favorite, Drake Diner. Follow your meal with an independent film a jaunt away at the Varsity Movie Theatre. Come visit the campus, the community, and us; we'll make you feel at home.Plenty of entertainment awaits off campus as well. Attractions include Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino, Adventureland Amusement Park, Iowa State Fairgrounds, Principal Park, and Blank Park Zoo. Also nearby are the Civic Center, Convention Complex, Veterans Auditorium, Hy-Vee Hall and Wells Fargo Arena. We are moments from the Historical Building of Iowa, the State Capital, Living History Farms, Terrace Hill, Salisbury Mansion and Hoyt Sherman Place. Centrally situated among all of the Metro's retail districts --- four major malls, many boutiques and antique shops. Seasonal attractions are plentiful and near. Other areas of interest include The East Village, Historic Valley Junction and Downtown Court Avenue District, where nightlife is at its best. Free Wireless Internet available in all guest rooms and public areas. Whether it is business or pleasure that brings you our way, our team is ready to serve you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University Hotel Des Moines
- Holiday Inn Des Moines
- Des Moines Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University Iowa