“Great Hotel at Drake University”

Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Eagan, Minnesota
“Great Hotel at Drake University”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

The room was spotless when I arrived...housekeeping was fantastic. I did an inspection of the room and found no hairs or stains. The front desk associate MJ was very nice and answered all my questions. Staff was friendly. Complimentary breakfast was delicious and the variety was appreciated. Definitely ask about restaurant hot spots as there are quite a few in the area of Des Moines. The Drake Diner is right next door to the hotel and they offer excellent food. They are currently remodeling so extra amenities are being added (new elevator and a fitness center). I highly recommend this property to any friends/family of Drake students. I have family who attends Drake so I will be staying here from time to time when I come and visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank hammerofthor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Piscataway, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I can not believe that they call this place a Holiday Inn, it makes the name look bad. We stayed here for a full week and it was torture. Every morning the man who made the breakfast always burned the eggs, scrambled and the omelet. Even when I asked if he could maybe make the properly in a polite way he would not listen. It is time for this hotel to hire one person who makes the breakfast instead of making the manager do it. The rooms were ok at most they felt very dirty and dusty. When I tried to use the desk I figured out someone else broke the drawer that is typically underneath the desk. So this cheap hotel just decided to turn it around. The amenities oh what am I talking about there are none aside from breakfast no pool, fitness center, laundry. I was left asking the front desk What do you have? I would not recommend this place especially for the money it is not worth it and this is probably my worst Holiday Inn experience to date. In the room the beds were ok but they felt old and you could feel the springs. The bathroom door in my room would not even open without a very strong jerk to pry it open. Also there was no ventilation system so if someone took a shower the moisture would spread into the room making it feel very muggy and uncomfortable. This hotel should be rennovated and should not be called a Holiday Inn. I have been a Priority Club Member for 8 years now and this was unacceptable based on the standards that have been met by other Holiday Inn's.

Room Tip: Dont Stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank the98dude
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear the98dude,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide a good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the overall dissatisfaction of your stay. I am very sorry for the unacceptable service you received as well as for the level of cleanliness at our hotel. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and I am confident they will take necessary steps to improve our guest experience. Despite your disappointment, I hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Pros:
- the hotel is right in a neighborhood
- breakfast was good
- friendly staff
- patio in the courtyard
- clean

Cons:
- bed and pillows a bit lumpy
- patio needs attention; they've given up on growing anything and weeds are growing up through the cracks (but I still enjoyed the fact that they had one)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We were very impressed with the service and the rooms. When we asked to switch from our original room because it was next to the elevator and soda machine, the desk staff was very accommodating. The room was large, pleasant, and quiet. Everything worked well. I particularly liked being able to open the windows to let in outside air. The breakfast was minimal, but it was nice to count on juice and cereal in the morning. We will be returning on our next visit to family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Avondale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I flew into Des Moines on business and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Holiday Inn Express at Drake University. Great stay! I am a business traveler and I truly look forward to a decent in-room coffee pot, long vanity for travel essentials, and lots of towels for showering twice a day. This was all in order and everything that I needed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

A short distance from I-235 this Holiday Inn Express sits in the middle of a neighborhood of some faded glory, close to Drake. The service was excellent and we both received a goody bag for being Priority Club members. Beds comfy, amenities typical but nice as was the breakfast. For under $90 a great deal!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Caligranny
Sioux City, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

If your looking for a place to stay near Drake, this is about as good as it gets. Walking distance from the campus and a diner next door. Breakfast is the usual poor choice and the coffee is pretty bad. The MARS coffee shop is about a block away though, so that's my choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear jnobz,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. While I am pleased to hear that our location suited your travel well, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations in regards to the breakfast served during your stay. I can assure you that your experience is not indicative of the quality we are known to provide.

I have taken note of your comments and we have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B