“Clean and comfortable”

Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The two queen beds are clean and soft. Our room, 210 is away from the street and is very quiet. The lobby is small and includes the breakfast area. The hotel clerk is efficient.

Free is good, WIFI, parking, coffee available at front desk, and breakfast. Parking lot is well lit.

The room appears to be updated recently. The new bath room wall paper was peeling a little. Maybe it was because the bathroom fan is not very strong or not working. But bathroom is clean and there is no bad smell at all in the room.

One draw back, the elevator is not working tonight. Not a big problem since it only has 2 floors.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed 4 nights during fair time for business (did not attend the fair). With the hotel being booked each night I was there... they did a great job keeping up with everything. It's an older property and could use some freshening up, but it's not bad by any means. I'm just used to the newer properties that have a fridge and microwave. I was told they have them,... just need to ask and they will put one in the room ($10/nt or free for card members).

Staff was great (Sarah and MJ). Talked with both each night I was there and they both gave great ideas about where to eat... Thank you for that. I get bored traveling so much so I usually bother the front desk people so thanks for putting up with me.

The only thing I had a very small issue with was that the breakfast was the same for the first three mornings... Friday did finally change .. But that's it

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is a great hotel for location if you’re visiting Drake University. We were in Des Moines for the Iowa State Fair (only a 10 min ride from the fair grounds). This is a fairly basic and small hotel. We selected this hotel because they have dual queen size beds and the room rate was very good at state fair time. The front desk service was good. I was impressed with the lobby breakfast and the care the staff made in making sure the breakfast was well stocked and supplied. The rooms are a nice size and clean although the bathrooms need to be remodeled. The AC units also need serviced, when the AC unit kicked on it sounded like a jet engine was taking off. Wireless service was included and performed well in the hotel. The neighborhood around the hotel seems to be on the rough side. I would recommend eating at the Drake Dinner which adjacent to the hotel. No reason not to use the Holiday Inn Express at Drake University if you’re looking for basic and clean accommodations.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This Holiday Inn Express is directly across from Drake University, and offers all the amenities of a Holiday Inn Express, which is to say great stuff...great breakfast, and reliable high-speed wireless internet.
However, what sets this hotel apart is the friendly staff! I had to attend a phone conference that required that I have internet access with my computer, and as I was driving in to Des Moines, I ran into heavy traffic (construction). I knew that I'd be cutting it close, so I called ahead to the hotel, and when I got there is literally took me 30 seconds to check in, and the check-in included a bag of free goodies!
Can't say enough about the courtesy of the staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Can recommend this hotel for a stay when you visit Drake. Very clean, friendly and very close to University

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We arrived around midnight and the desk clerk was out back smoking with what appeared to be a campus security guard.
I wish he would have been there the next night when my car was one of three broken into. One was in the handicap space RIGHT in front of the lobby. The officer said the clerk didn't know how to view the security tape and little could be done.
I contacted the manager and he said they couldn't do anything for us regarding the cost since we booked with Orbitz. He credited my cc for $50.
We drove back to Chicago with plastic in the window.
There was a spider in the tub, the vending machines were spotty at best and the carpet felt wet under foot.
We come to Des Moines a few times a year and are staying downtown from now on. Park in that lot at your own risk.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank stupidscreenname99
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

As this guest mentioned we do have a security company that makes rounds several times a night as well as surveillance cameras in our parking lot. This is not a common occurence at our hotel. We have asked campus security to make more rounds as well as our regular security company to help make our parking lot more secure.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

This hotel is consistently staffed with very friendly and helpful staff. The location is a bit off the beaten track, but personally I enjoy this because it is quiet. The rooms are always clean, a nice selection for breakfast, and spacious rooms. The first floor rooms have patio access to a small patio area. There are several local resturaunts in walking distance, and again, it's quiet!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Thank you for your postive review. We appreciate your loyal patronage and hope you can come back and check us out after we complete some rennovations this summer and fall. We will be adding an elevator, fitness room, larger breakfast area and expanding our lobby to make our hotel an even better place to stay.