This is a great hotel for location if you’re visiting Drake University. We were in Des Moines for the Iowa State Fair (only a 10 min ride from the fair grounds). This is a fairly basic and small hotel. We selected this hotel because they have dual queen size beds and the room rate was very good at state fair time. The front desk service was good. I was impressed with the lobby breakfast and the care the staff made in making sure the breakfast was well stocked and supplied. The rooms are a nice size and clean although the bathrooms need to be remodeled. The AC units also need serviced, when the AC unit kicked on it sounded like a jet engine was taking off. Wireless service was included and performed well in the hotel. The neighborhood around the hotel seems to be on the rough side. I would recommend eating at the Drake Dinner which adjacent to the hotel. No reason not to use the Holiday Inn Express at Drake University if you’re looking for basic and clean accommodations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Greetings from Des Moines, Iowa, home of the Drake Bulldogs and Drake Relays. Holiday Inn Express at Drake is at the heart of this city's renaissance neighborhood and ideally located right on campus. Seconds away are the Knapp Center, and Drake Stadium. Dining is available next door at the retro-themed favorite, Drake Diner. Follow your meal with an independent film a jaunt away at the Varsity Movie Theatre. Come visit the campus, the community, and us; we'll make you feel at home.Plenty of entertainment awaits off campus as well. Attractions include Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino, Adventureland Amusement Park, Iowa State Fairgrounds, Principal Park, and Blank Park Zoo. Also nearby are the Civic Center, Convention Complex, Veterans Auditorium, Hy-Vee Hall and Wells Fargo Arena. We are moments from the Historical Building of Iowa, the State Capital, Living History Farms, Terrace Hill, Salisbury Mansion and Hoyt Sherman Place. Centrally situated among all of the Metro's retail districts --- four major malls, many boutiques and antique shops. Seasonal attractions are plentiful and near. Other areas of interest include The East Village, Historic Valley Junction and Downtown Court Avenue District, where nightlife is at its best. Free Wireless Internet available in all guest rooms and public areas. Whether it is business or pleasure that brings you our way, our team is ready to serve you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, IHG, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Hotwire, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University Hotel Des Moines
- Holiday Inn Des Moines
- Des Moines Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University Iowa