“Nice exterior, disappointing interior” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University

Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Colorado
“Nice exterior, disappointing interior”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Chose this HIE due to its proximity to where my business would be taking place. It doesn't look like your typical HIE from the outside - obviously somethign else was converted into the hotel. On the inside, the rooms are okay, but no upgrades to suites are available. The least they could do for upper Priority Members is offer a fridge/microwave or extra points. The carpet is stained, but the rooms look freshly painted. I got very limited coverage on my cell phone - data or service - and had to go stand by the window to talk. No pool, no fitness room, but it is quiet so far. There's a diner next door for a meal, and a few other places on University Ave, but fairly limited in eating choices nearby. All in all an average HIE stay - I've stayed at better HIE's but I've stayed at worse, too.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I just took over as manager here and appreciate the feedback so I know the items I need to get corrected. We have just installed new 37" flat screens in all of our hotel rooms. We have also ordered some refrigerators to have when requested. Future upgrades are planned, such as possible exercise room, new breakfast room and several other ongoing rennovations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Wheaton,IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed 1 night at this hotel, the hotel was very clean, nice & quiet, the bathroom lighting was not bright enough & it need to have a fan in the bathroom to take the steam out.
Other Holiday Inn Express allow dog,but not this 1. I rather it does,cuz I have a small puppy.The breakfast room area is very small,only fit a few tables, mainly 2 people table. There is no elevator at this hotel,it's best to stay on the 1st floor & somewhere in the middle away from the front lobby

Room Tip: no elevator.,best on 1st floor,middle away lobby
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

I just returned from staying at the Holiday Inn Express near Drake University because my son will be attending Drake University. When I first drove up I was pleasantly surprised how well this hotel was maintained and how it fit so well with the neighborhood. The front desk staff was friendly and greeted me as I entered the lobby, and made me feel welcomed. My room was spacious and very clean. Breakfast in the morning was hot and delicious. I enjoyed the pancake machine they offered. I’ve traveled to several universities for my son to visit, and I would have to say this hotel was truly the best by far. I’ve read some of the recent TripAdvisor comments and the only thing I can say is these people are SCAMMERS and are trying to get something for free. This is a GREAT place to stay and would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a nice hotel in Des Moines.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

For a visit to Drake University you can't get any better in terms of location and friendly staff. Staff can direct you to local sites and give you valuable information about the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

I was staying there on business with another business associate. The room we were given was the handicap accessible room. It was musty & hot. The bathroom smelled like urine. When I went to get into bed I noticed there was poop on the box spring & bed skirt. The manager told us there weren't any more rooms available & only removed the skirt. Upon pulling back the sheets I noticed three dark hairs. We reported this & it was after that that the manager offered to find us another room in his hotel. We insisted on moving to another Holiday Inn. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed June 2011
7 Thank Kissmybutt
I just took over as manager here December 2011. I assure you if these claims are true, which seems highly unlikely, I will ensure any problems like this are never repeated. I have been here a month and I have had nothing but praise for my staff and the rooms are very clean.
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

While on a long road trip, my sister and I got a flat tire just north of Des Moines. It was late at night and raining so we used the GPS service on our phones to find the closest hotel. I am so glad we ended up at the Holiday Inn location by Drake University.

The desk person was great. I had an ankle injury and was not very mobile so he made sure to give us a room on the ground floor close to the door. The room was updated and clean and was very quiet. The location seemed very safe and it is next door to the Drake Diner which has a very good breakfast. The room was a good value for our money and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ExpressDrake, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing us as your home away from home! We hope to see you again soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

This is the Filthiest , Malodorous "Holiday Inn" Branded establishment I've ever stayed in! The rooms, yes rooms, I had them move me after I couldn't Unstopper the bathroom sink, to wash my hands! ( How do you clean a sink where the stopper is stuck on th eclosed position? Yuk! ). Fun! The second room came equipped without a sink stopper, so no worries! (Both are code violations, see where I'm going with this?) I'd read another guest's review where the guest's wife didn't sleep well, because of the "Cycling" of some sort of equipment on the premisies, ( A compressor, or Refrigeration Unit, perhaps?). I wish I would have heeded his warning, as sleep was not to be gotten in this room! Now, lets talk about the dozens and dozens of tiny, itchy, "Bite-Like" marks all over my body, which I noticed mid-morning, the following day? Could it be? Bedbugs in an I-35 Corridor Hotel? ( You Decide )Yikes! Oh, I forgot to mention, as I was checking in, my behavior was a bit "Shady" :^), as I eavesdropped on the (otherwise preoccupied) manager while she loudly discused over her cellphone, how "Narcotics and Prophylactics were Manditory" [ this weekend ], ( I would neve assume she meant "On Premises", but still....I will trust my gut next time, and bolt for the door In closing, Yuk, what a filthy dive, I left Saturday, and stayed at another hotel downtown. Be Very Afraid !!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank MidwestTraveler55119
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Thank you for your review. While I do concede to the maintenance issues, which were fixed, I do take exception to the bed bug issue in the two rooms in which this guest stayed. Upon his exit and complaint, the rooms were checked by 4 different individuals on 4 separate occasions (an inspector from the State Board of Health, the GM, a trained maintenance staff member from another location and a representative from Ecolab who specializes in pest prevention & elimination). No evidence was found in any of the rooms of bed bugs presently or in the past. We take the issue of bed bugs very seriously as it is a concern for not only our guests, but us as well.