“Good value and pleasant place to stay.”

Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Overland Park, Kansas
“Good value and pleasant place to stay.”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

While on a long road trip, my sister and I got a flat tire just north of Des Moines. It was late at night and raining so we used the GPS service on our phones to find the closest hotel. I am so glad we ended up at the Holiday Inn location by Drake University.

The desk person was great. I had an ankle injury and was not very mobile so he made sure to give us a room on the ground floor close to the door. The room was updated and clean and was very quiet. The location seemed very safe and it is next door to the Drake Diner which has a very good breakfast. The room was a good value for our money and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
ExpressDrake, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing us as your home away from home! We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 13, 2011

This is the Filthiest , Malodorous "Holiday Inn" Branded establishment I've ever stayed in! The rooms, yes rooms, I had them move me after I couldn't Unstopper the bathroom sink, to wash my hands! ( How do you clean a sink where the stopper is stuck on th eclosed position? Yuk! ). Fun! The second room came equipped without a sink stopper, so no worries! (Both are code violations, see where I'm going with this?) I'd read another guest's review where the guest's wife didn't sleep well, because of the "Cycling" of some sort of equipment on the premisies, ( A compressor, or Refrigeration Unit, perhaps?). I wish I would have heeded his warning, as sleep was not to be gotten in this room! Now, lets talk about the dozens and dozens of tiny, itchy, "Bite-Like" marks all over my body, which I noticed mid-morning, the following day? Could it be? Bedbugs in an I-35 Corridor Hotel? ( You Decide )Yikes! Oh, I forgot to mention, as I was checking in, my behavior was a bit "Shady" :^), as I eavesdropped on the (otherwise preoccupied) manager while she loudly discused over her cellphone, how "Narcotics and Prophylactics were Manditory" [ this weekend ], ( I would neve assume she meant "On Premises", but still....I will trust my gut next time, and bolt for the door In closing, Yuk, what a filthy dive, I left Saturday, and stayed at another hotel downtown. Be Very Afraid !!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank MidwestTraveler55119
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Thank you for your review. While I do concede to the maintenance issues, which were fixed, I do take exception to the bed bug issue in the two rooms in which this guest stayed. Upon his exit and complaint, the rooms were checked by 4 different individuals on 4 separate occasions (an inspector from the State Board of Health, the GM, a trained maintenance staff member from another location and a representative from Ecolab who specializes in pest prevention & elimination). No evidence was found in any of the rooms of bed bugs presently or in the past. We take the issue of bed bugs very seriously as it is a concern for not only our guests, but us as well.
St. Louis
Reviewed April 7, 2011

i stayed overnight at this hotel in March. The hotel is small and close to Drake University. The rooms were very clean and updated. I could not hear noise from other rooms which is alway a concern in chain hotels. The breakfast was a better than average, with several hot items. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed August 24, 2010

First of all, beware of Trip Advisor reviews where it is the reviewers first and only review. Second, be double beware of a supposed third world traveler that is afraid of phantom spiders.

This is a very nice and clean place to stay if you are visiting Drake. It is very close to campus and is right next door to the very scrumptious Drake diner. A hot breakfast is served and it does get crowded at peak times, but the staff is very friendly. Ask for the 'Drake rate' when booking.

Bottom line, nothing special here but it is clean, safe and very close to Drake.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chief58
dsmiahiexp, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Thank you for your kind words. The Holiday Inn Express looks forward to your future stays with us as well.
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed August 2, 2010

As one of the other reviews stated, the room does not contain a refrigerator or a microwave. The room also has a weird smell. I travel a lot both here in the states and overseas (some third world) and I can’t even begin to place the smell in the room. There is no pool, weight room, or laundry facilities either. The staff is nice, if that can make up for anything. Given that I could pay the same rate at another location here in Des Moines I don't think that I will ever stay at this location again. I suggest that anyone reading this stays away from this location. As for the owner of this property they should consider re-branding this as a Super 8 Express, Holiday 6, Econo Express. Now I will get picky. There is water damage in the ceiling; paint is coming off the ceiling as well in my room. I am aware that the economy sucks, but flat screens in the room would be nice given that the current box has a poor picture and that the cable only works on a couple of channels. It is a good thing that I don’t have a phobia of spiders given that I killed on the glass sliding door that goes to a court yard. Which brings me to my next point; I believe that there is a slight security risk given that there is a large glass door which would be my point of entry if I was going to break into a room. (That is the third world travel side of me kicking in.) Traveler beware, Holiday Inn Express your move.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay. We apologize for any inconveniences you may have faced during your stay. Although I have not discovered any insects in guest rooms despite all the rain we have gotten this past summer, and with our pest control company doing it's routine service as well as a special exterior treatment recently, please get in contact with the hotel to discuss further and satisfactorily resolve your stay at 515-255-4000.
Texas

10) No business center

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
St Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 27, 2010

My daughter and I stayed here while visiting Drake University, which is just one block away. Our room was clean and quiet, the beds were very comfortable and we appreciated the choice of both firm and soft pillows. We enjoyed relaxing in the semi-private courtyard that is accessible from the ground floor guest rooms.
Not a standard Holiday Inn Express, but every bit as good; better in some ways. We considered other hotels in the area that were less expensive, but found this one to be a very good value.
Try the Drake DIner next door.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family