Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
  • Restaurant
Great 4.5/5
Great 4.5/5
2,209 results
All reviewswater parkpirate shipindoor waterparklife guardsbirthday partyordered pizzaolder kidsbreakfast buffetwalk in showerbeds were comfortabletikiwaterslidescastawaygrandkidsgameinterstate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I was excited to take my two year old daughter to an indoor water park during the Christmas break. I was hoping for a smaller version of Great Wolf Lodge, but I was surprised to find out that it is a parent's nightmare. If you're going for the pool experience, you better have older children that can hold their own.There is no control or supervision at the pool. (Although some employee seemed to appear for about five minutes, yell at some kids, and then disappear.) Older kids were allowed to go down slides designed for younger kids and as a result chaos ruled the pool area. Pushing, shoving, and cutting in line was very common. Loud music played in the pool area, so it was difficult to talk with anyone nearby. Obviously, I was with my child in the water, but many parents used the pool as their personal babysitting service (with no lifeguards) and drank alcoholic beverages nearby. My husband and I only allowed our child to stay at the pool for 30 minutes before we went back to our room. As an old lifeguard, this pool is a tragedy waiting to happen. I would have been happier at a hotel with a plain pool.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
JOHNNYXED, General Manager at Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2011

We do have 4 CPR certified pool attendants in our pool area during our busy times, identifiable by the black pirate T-Shirts, and management staff on duty also that are CPR certified. "No Life Guards on Duty" signs are posted throughout the pool areas to help further encourage parents to monitor their children, especially the very young ones. Inattentive parents are addressed by management staff as the safety of the children is very important to us.

Your children will absolutely love the place but please do your part in ensuring their safety. We will help in that process...

Thanks

Ramada Tropics Resort & Conference Center Staff

Reviewed February 16, 2011

We stayed three nights in Feb 2011. We had a two queen room, not pool facing. The room was clean and comfy. The hotel is located right on I-80 and was easy to find and to get around. There is ample parking ,but close spots are hard to get when the hotel is full. The hotel was sold out the Friday and Sat. of our stay. I thought this was odd as I didn't realize Iowa would be so popular in February, but the hotel said it is actually pretty normal.

The bathroom has a pocket door and a shower only. At first I was a bit annoyed at the shower. It looks gorgeous, but has no curtain or door over the back half of the shower and a thick fixed glass plate over the front half. You can count on some water getting out if you have squirrely kids. However, the shower was a lifesaver when we had cousins over to swim and I had to herd 4 kids under the age of 5 into it. The lack of door became a total asset.

The hotel is FULL of children. If you are looking for a romantic or peaceful gettaway, stay elsewhere. If you are looking for a great kids hotel, this was fun. It does come with children screaming, pounding feet and crying babies. This is pretty much what we have at home, so it was no issue for us, but it may not be for everyone.

The hotel has a full service restaurant with a bar and a pool bar. It serves pizza on the weekends. We tried the cheese pizza and it was terrible. I would not suggest it. We did not eat any other meals at the hotel, but the menu looked nice. A breakfast buffet is available on the weekends. It is $10 for adults and I think $5.99 for kids. There are multiple restaurant options very close to the hotel. Some are within walking distance including a McDonalds and a Wendys.

The water park was great. There are multiple pools. The zero depth entry kids pool has a pirate ship with several slides and crawl through tunnels. It sprays water everywhere. There is a seperate ship themed slide also in this pool. My 2 year old and 5 year olds had a blast. The is a "sports" pool with a vollyball net and a basketball hoop. The older kids had fun with this. There are also 2 large water slides that drop into a third pool. There is also a little room to hang out on the end of this pool. The fourth pool is a regular rectangular pool next to a pretty big hot tub. There are no life guards on duty and this place gets to be chaos when the hotel is crowded. There are ample tables and chairs around the pools to keep an eye on kiddos. You receive 4 wristbands per room/ per night. Additional wristbands were available for purchase for $15, at the front desk.

There is also a pretty large game room, for a hotel. Most of the games are the type that you win tickets on, not video games. Tickets can be exchanged for prizes at the adjoining gift shop. Overall, we had a very nice stay. All hotel employees were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kinzab
Reviewed January 29, 2011

It was a nice hotel with a nice room and convenient parking. Little kitchenette (that I didn't use, so I can't remark on it). I had no problems.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for business for one night. I was very pleased with the quality of the room. The bathroom looked like it had recently been remodeled. It had a tiled walk in shower. The bed was very comfortable and had several pillows to choose from. This hotel has a water park that looked like it would be a lot of fun. The exercise room had 2 treadmills, an exercise bike, elipse and weight machines. It was clean and well maintained. There is some noise from the interstate. It didn't disturb me thought. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2010

This place was great!! Very clean and staff was very nice. The water park area is nice and the Tiki bar is even better. Will recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business