Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Kansas
“Great stay”
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I was here for a meeting w/ a coworker. The property was great. I went down the water slide & enjoyed a meal & drinks by the pool. And the NASCAR in the game room was fantastic- I was there for business; however, I am looking forward to taking my kids and grandkids there sometime in the near future.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Cedar Rapids
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We had over 15 rooms, they screwed up half our reservations, won’t allow you to bring food or drink into the pool area and don’t have any place for you to congregate as a family if you do want to have food or drink. They have Nazi style management patrolling every move constantly telling you to go back to your room to drink you beer… but drinking “their” beer is totally fine… They threaten to tow your vehicles, their customer service is some of the worst I’ve ever experienced. The front desk is scared to death of their own policies because they know the complaints are going to be numerous. Don’t give them your money, go somewhere else!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jvestweber
JOHNNYXED, General Manager at Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. As we discussed during your stay, we do not allow outside food & beverage in our water park area as we have a Tiki Bar in the water park and a adjacent full service restaurant for our guests. We have plenty of space for our guests to gather as a group to enjoy the water park, the Tiki Bar and our Castaways Bar & Grill. Most, if not all, businesses serving food & beverage would not allow outside food to be carried into their establishment. It was explained to you though that you could do this in your room if you desired.

Our free parking passes and our free shuttle service was explained to you by both my AGM and myself during your stay and you were assured your car would not be towed. Our parking passes are distributed on our busiest days as we try to control one registered guest from having 5-10 other cars all coming to one room making parking difficult for the other 165 rooms. We discussed that your reaction to this made my AGM uncomfortable, not the policy. I appreciated that you apologized to me for this and offered to aplogize to my AGM.

I understand you do not agree with these policies but do hope we will get another opportunity to serve you in the future...

John Sullivan
Iowa
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I'm not sure where the negative reviews for this place are coming from. Having stayed at similar hotels w/ waterparks, this ranks as one of the higher ones in the area.

My review factors in what we experienced at the Ramada compared to Wasserbahn (Amana Colonies), Honey Creek Resort (Rathbun), and Great Wolfe Lodge (Kansas City).

From a water park perspective, the Ramada has more to offer than Wasserbahn and Honey Creek, but not quite the level as Great Wolfe Lodge. There are much more areas of activity than what you'll find at Wasserbahn and Honey Creek. Kids liked alternating among the 3-4' pool, the pirate ship slides, the two big slides and the hot tub. Just a lot of available options there.

From a cost and value perspective, you can't beat the price. We were able to get rooms for around $90 a night. Stays at Wasserbahn have run us $125, Honey Creek a little over $100 and Great Wolfe a cool $200.

The rooms are recently renovated and it reflects extremely well. Everything is modern and updated from the beds to the large LCD tv, to the modern bathroom fixtures. The rooms were clean and didn't have the musty or old smell that you can get from these types of places. Honestly, makes Wasserbahn and Great Wolf seem run down. I would put it on par with Honey Creek's rooms.

Other big pluses were the fridge and microwave that came with the room. And the inroom safe was terrific and large enough to fit a purse and gaming system, etc. Really liked that feature.

There were a couple of minor things that I didn't care for, but not deal breakers. They only allow Hotel ordered/provided food in the pool snacking areas. The showers didn't have a glass door completely enclosing the nicely tiled shower. The back half was open.

The staff were extremely nice to work with. While in the game room, one of the staff members put a few extra coins in one of my kid's games allowing them some extra tickets to cash in. There is also a Nascar simulator that looked like a lot of fun, but didn't have time to try it.

Lastly, the location is perfect as you're not far from restaurants, grocery, shopping, movies, etc.

Would highly recommend this hotel and plan on returning.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
JOHNNYXED, General Manager at Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate the kind words and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to serving you in the future...

John Sullivan
chicago
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I stayed at Ramada N.W. Plaza Inn and Suited over night .
I can't say enough good things about it. From the first phone call to make reservation to until
check out time.
The room was clean, beatutifuly done and water park was fantastic.
Also, All the staff was very, very friendly and professional.

Troy,KS
Reviewed March 11, 2010

We had a two day meeting, great sevice, food was outstanding,part of our group used the water slides,and the car racing is fun!!!!!!! I recommend this place to everyone.

Topeka
Reviewed March 10, 2010

When traveling to a hotel, you want a good guest room. The ownership at this hotel understands because the beds and rooms are fantastic. The hotel looks brand new and you would never, ever guess it was only recently remodeled. I would definitely stay at this hotel again when traveling to Des Moines. I didn't get in the pool but everyone else seemed to be having a wonderful time. The food was great, on and on!

Des Moines Iowa
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Worst stay ever! Only thing good was breakfast and bed..they dont help the customer..called the front desk 4 time for 4 diffent issues..none were addressed!! Will never go back!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Baymont Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown
Staybridge Suites Des Moines Downtown
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport

Been to Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines? Share your experiences!