“a very nice stay”

Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed January 22, 2006

was surprised to have everything go right with my stay after reading all the others who had problems while staying here.

the hotel is no longer a holiday inn; it is now a ramada inn. they just changed names last week. got a nice rate of 29.95 per night. great. room had internet in it. rooms could be entered from the parking area or the lobby on the inside. had a couple of machines for exercies and a nice pool. woould stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2006

Reviewed November 22, 2005

Upon my arrival, I asked the maid where the elevator was, "we don't have an elevator." Who doesn't have an elevator at a hotel? I went into one room, right above a loud maintenance room of some type, so they moved me to a quieter room. I was burning up and there was no air conditioning unit to cool the room down. I then went to the window, oh wait, the window is screwed shut, so there is no way for any air flow or in case of a fire, I can't get out and then I'd have to barrel down a flight of stairs. Hairs were all over the bathroom floor, I don't think they even bothered to clean the floor. Gross! My mother tried to lock the deadbolt in the first room we were in, and we were locked in it for 15 minutes. It was broken and somehow we managed to wiggle it loose. The second room we were in, the deadbolt wouldn't even lock. After deciding I wanted out of there, they would not refund my money because I booked it through Orbitz. They said, and I quote "you can leave, but we will still collect our money." Very rude! I will never stay at another Holiday Inn nor book through Orbitz. Neither will my family and friends. It's funny how they don't look at if a customer is unhappy to fix it rather than have a very mad person blab their mouth to potential customers. All to save a buck for them! Was it worth it?

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank jozinachoquita
Reviewed March 12, 2005

I ended up spending one night at the Day's Inn Merle Hay after having to leave another nearby hotel because of the disgusting conditions.

Upon entering into Holiday Inn you see the very stylish yet small lobby. I was greeted quickly and in a very friendly manner. I told them about my horror story from my other hotel and they actually apologized and said they'd be sure to take care of me there. They certainly did. My husband who would be joining us later in the afternoon would qualify us for a government rate but even though he wasnt' there to check in they gave us the government rate with no trouble. The clerk then apologized that she couldn't give us a room closer to the pool, she seemed to genuinely care that our stay was great. She then said she would keep the extra key for my husband to pick up later.

The room we had was nice. They had a nice TV with internet access,pay movies,pay CD's,and even pay nintendo available. Everything seemed newer and was very nice. The pool area was clean and the pool and jacuzzi were both very nice. There were ample towels and seating available as well as a ping pong table. There was a small exercise room with a elliptical machine, treadmill, and bike, along with a TV. It was nice other than it was very warm.

I also have to mention the lobby had complimentary cookies and brownies etc. that were EXCELLENT! There is an attached restaurant that offers room service and kids staying with you eat free with a paying adult. We didn't have a chance to check out the restaurant but it looked nice.

The best part of the hotel was the friendly staff. Every single worker we came in contact with was super nice and offered us anything we needed. We'd definately stay again.

• Stayed: March 2005
2  Thank boohead
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 4, 2005

My family and I stayed here 1 night for a college tour. This hotel is a great place to have a good night sleep, take a swim, exercise, and have a filling breakfast. Holiday Inn's seem to work nice for our family on small occasions. Don't expect a Plaza staff or a Ritz diner. It has a wonderful pool area, with a nice breakfast/brunch, including bagels, milk, cereal, fruit, and much more. This was the perfect hotel for our short trip.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed February 1, 2005

This is not a new hotel but the rooms are adequate if you are seeking a competitive rate. OK for clean and the staff seems to try hard to make things work, good attitude. Not the Ritz but the value is there.

Reviewed January 31, 2005

Great Hotel Great Staff look forward to staying again. Near Newton so very easy to get Maytag HQ and the next Maytag AGM.

Reviewed January 26, 2005

we stayed here and the AC went out in the whole place - we were told each hour that it would be on the next hour - this went on for over 18 hours and the windows do not open at least in our second story room.
They did give us fans to use to sleep at night, but only comped 50% of the room - it was a terrible hot and sticky night

The pools had way too much chlorine and made it difficult for the children to want to stay and swim. However, going back to the hot room was not a good option either. The finally did offer to move us to another hotel, but it was after nine in the evening and we had already unpacked everything and we figured by the time we did pack up and get over there it would be close to 11, and too late for the kids.

While I go to Des Moines a lot, I will never stay at that Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed: April 2003, traveled on business
#16 of 48 in Des Moines
Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Des Moines Downtown
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest

Been to Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines? Share your experiences!