Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed August 20, 2013

It was myself and a friend staying in one room with our daughters, enjoying a girls only vacation. Each time I called the hotel the staff was friendly and eager to answer my questions. When checking in Brian was quick to assist me and made sure I had all the information I needed. He even printed of directions to a restuarant downtown for me. When I requested extra shampoo and conditioner it was delivered within ten minutes. My friend and I got to enjoy a couple drinks next to the pool while our girls played on the water slides and exhausted themselves. The room was average. I did pay a little extra for a bigger room but it was more than enough space for what we used it for. The bathroom was large and very nice. The location seems to be in a good place with many dining options and shopping options in the area. All in all we had a great stay and this will be the hotel we return to every year.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,125)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel off and on for a while now for work. This past weekend I had booked 2 rooms for my parents and my family to go to the state fair and when my folks and I get back to are rooms my folks have to call the front desk and ask if they could get a diff. bed cover because the one that was on the bed had a big blood stain on it. The guy that brought it to the room knocked on the door and handed it to them so the had to remake the bed themselves. Then after that whole deal I started looking at the room closer and noted that things are not all that clean unless you like the look of clean but not really clean then this is the place for you. I talked to the front desk the next day about the whole deal and asked if they were going to make up for this bad deal and they told me they were sorry!! Never again will we go there!!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Room was average. Pool area was nice, but the water was cold. The hot tub was not hot. Room service did not vacume floor or make the beds.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is our second trip to the Ramada Tropics and it was just as fun as the first. It's great location close to the interstate makes seeing the sites of Des Moines very easy. We once again LOVED the pool. It has tons of fun things for the kids to play on and also has a centrally located hot tub so keeping an eye on the kids while enjoying yourself is easy. The rooms are very clean and hotel staff is ready to help if you ever need anything. Also we love that it's pet friendly so we can bring our puppy but they keep it so clean you'd never know.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel is perfect for families w/kids. Everyone had a great time. The only thing I would suggest is to lower the price on the non-staying guest(s) wristbands. This is a perfect place to have a kids birthday party, family reunion, etc. however, for those members of the family who live locally the wristband cost (depending on number in party) could be an issue.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Came here for a quick weekend get-away with our children. We arrived, checked in with no issues, found our poolside room to be clean and comfortable. WiFi really slow in the suite of the bedroom. Got the kids changed and headed to the water park. We all played for a couple of hours, then went to get dinner.

Upon returning, we decided to let the kids play just a little bit before bed. About 15 minutes before the pool area closed, we warned our kids it was "last call" for slides & such. Our three year old went up the pirate ship (for the 10-15th time) and attempted to go down the slide. He slipped, and bashed his head on one of the cement corners that protrudes roughly 3' from the bottom, at eye level of most young children.

When my son stood up, there was blood absolutely gushing from his eye area. The teen "lifeguards" didn't even notice me SCREAMING for my husband or carrying a bleeding, screaming child from the pool. A girl went down right behind him, even as the blood was mixing in with the pool water.

A nurse who was also a guest recommended we bring him to the ER, which we did. We ended up spending 10pm-1am in the ER with our 3 year old. He needed 6 stitches just below his eyebrow, plus suffered a corneal abrasion from the cement scratching his eyeball. As he had stitches, he could no longer swim for a week. Mini vacation, over. Our "quick' vacation has cost us almost $800 for the ER bills.

While the fall is obviously NOT the hotels fault, the fact that the equipment is unsafe is a concern the company should address. I did speak with the manager (?) the next morning who was happy to comp our room rate and offer us vouchers for breakfast (which was ok, aside from the loud TV).

I sincerely hope that the staff has had a chance to cover those two protruding corners to ensure safety for future hotel guests. We would stay here again if they fix that issue and train their lifeguards to be more aware and responsive.

Room Tip: We had no issues with our first floor, poolside room.