“Lots of fun and great service”

Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here with my son and grandchildren. Staff was friendly and helpful. Beautiful facility, updated, and very clean. Waterslide pools were very suitable for young swimmers. Enjoyed the child friendly restaurant inside the facility.

Room Tip: Rooms away from pool would be quieter but pool rooms are convenient.
2  Thank pakRfan62

Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

I had to attend a convention and I live three miles set, but was informed I was staying there.
At the desk, checking was a breeze and I went to my room and relaxed. We were all getting together this evening, so mid afternoon I had nothing to do. Decided to go to the pool area they have a hot tub. To my surprise Wanda was there in her one piece suit and strawberry blonde hair. I could tell she had been in the water. She intoned me the hot tub was pee warm her words. It was that warm. I talked her into going down a water slide. I forgot she would get her hair wet. Once it happened it was no big deal. We played in the water park and pool most of the afternoon. Head back to our room to get ready for this evening.
The hotel catered to us, and I heard no one complaining. They have like a breakfast area for you to eat. It was great too, and fresh fruit. The conference never ran out of coffee. We were treated very well and I heard of no problems. I stayed over night on Sunday, and Wanda and a few others stayed too. We spent time in the pool and water slides. Thee was a bar by the pool that we could drink at, soda for me, drinks for the rest. No food or drinks are allowed in pool area. Really the little bar is where to go, and we could in swim wear. It was enjoyable for all and my company plans to use it again. thank you....

• Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank Scuba132
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Hard to get any sleep in this terribly noisy environment. Also had problems with television reception which was very spotty.

4  Thank SanP_18_12
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Room was clean and the updates looked great! The bed was super comfortable and the room was quiet. The water park was great fun and perfect for a small getaway for a family. We also ate at the restaurant located in the hotel and it was excellent and reasonably priced, especially the breakfast buffet, which we did both mornings we were there. We will stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: Ask to not be poolside as the water park is open until 10 or 10:30 pm, depending on the day of the w...
1  Thank suzq595
JOHNNYXED, General Manager at Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2012

Glad your family had a good time at our hotel. We appreciate that you chose us for your stay and look forward to serving you in the future..

Reviewed May 12, 2012

In August, we had stopped at this property on the way to take my son to college. It was a mid-week stop and we liked the property, so decided to try it again on our way back this time. We were there on a Saturday night and it was a zoo. There were big groups of people all over and the pool was full. We pulled in around 8 PM after a full day of driving. We decided to get a bite to eat in the restaurant since we had liked it last time. The menu has changed since we were there in August and we did not like it as well. There were also a couple of tables of big groups who were very loud.
Back at the room, we had kids running up and down the hall making lots of noise until pretty late. I called the front desk at about 11PM and it finally quieted around 11:30 PM. One other thing in our room was that the carpet in front of the air conditioning unit was sopping wet.
Needless to say, we will not be staying here again. We will try something else on our way back in the fall.

1  Thank traveljunkieDenver
JOHNNYXED, General Manager at Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

I am sorry your visit this time didn't go as well as your previous one. Our hotel is very busy on Saturdays year around. We will make sure we spend more time in the hallways after hours.

We are in the process of redoing our menus and should have those completed in a couple of weeks. I appreciate your comments and we will continue to address issues shared with us so we can make our hotel your hotel of choice when in the area...

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Have stayed a few times at this hotel. Unfortunately last time I was here there was a flood in the parking lot luckily we escaped ha. Anyways back to this stay, the lady at front desk was very helpful. Staying on a Saturday we was excepting it to be very busy, and we were right! It was PACKED! Sunday was slightly better but mostly just smaller children. I would say this would be better for a vacation with children not much of a couples resort even thou it says children not allowed in hot tub after certain time all kinds of children were jumping in and out splashing couldn't relax at all and on one night there was a very disgusting odor coming from the hot tub, Very nasty... The room was pretty nice, although some of the kids kept getting locked in the bathroom due to the sliding door had some sort of jam. We also switched to the Jacuzzi suite room it was very nice not getting splashed from the one out in the pool area :) As for the arcade room most of the games where a rip lost a few coins in the game of course once there gone there gone, the women working at that desk seemed to not care about us. But Kids had a great time so that's most important. We did try some of the food it was average for a high price. All in all we had a great time would recommend this to family's!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Glad your kids had a great time! Thank you for your recommendation..

Thank you for sharing your comments...

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Our family had a great experiece at this hotel. Waterpark was great, restaurant service was great, staff all friendly, room was clean, no complaints. Bathrooms were awesome! We upgraded to a pool-side room; we were there on a Monday night so it was very quiet. When we were at the pool there was probably a total of 10 people. I wish they would put up a sign that said "no children without adult supervision"; there were some quite young kids there without adults, only older siblings. The three staff members had quite a time keeping an eye on them. The big slides were a little fast for my youngest, he ended up going under, but they are great for older kids. The youngest enjoyed the pirate ship. The kids beggged to stay another night.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind comments. We hope to see your family again in the future...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Moines
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown
Adventureland Inn
Adventureland Inn
#7 of 11 in Altoona

Been to Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines? Share your experiences!