“Pretty nice hotel”

Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Atlanta
“Pretty nice hotel”
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I usually stay at the Embassy Suites, but this time the Embassy was sold-out, so I tried the Renaissance which is part of the Marriott now. This is a classy place; nice rooms, the bed and linens are great and the service friendly. I was upgraded from a regular room to a king bed, nice, but not a great differnce. The breakfast was included and was just OK, nothing special. The parking is valet, $15, and the wireless Internet free. The location is excellent, within walking distance to restaurants and stores. My bathroom had only a shover, without a tub, (which was), however, when I showered, the water runs all aver the place; hope I didn't flooded the room below. Nice toiletries and good quality also. I am panning to return.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Laurel99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
chicago, IL
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Overall our stay at the hotel was fine. The room was spacious and comfortable. We had 2 bathrooms and a sitting area. However, we were disappointed that the room did not have a refrigerated snack bar/liquor cabinet. Also, the ice machine and soda machine were not working. Despite calling the front desk about the machines, neither one was repaired during our stay. There was a huge stain in the ceiling and we questioned whether there would be a water leak from the slight bulge in the ceiling.
On another note the bartender was very friendly and accomodating. However, although Chopin Vodka was showcased in the martini bar, they ran out of it on a Friday night.
The most disappointing aspect of our stay was the food. We decided to go to breakfast and had a terrible experience with our waitress. We asked for cream for our coffee not once, not twice but 3 times, only to be served an almost empty creamer from another table whose patrons had left. (is that against health regulations?) We again asked for fresh cream for our now cold coffee. As our waitress left to retrieve the cream we heard her mutter to herself "You're not the only ones!"
When the food arrived the eggs were practically raw and the toast soggy and cold. We both agreed this was indeed the worst breakfast we had ever eaten. Not a very good experience for a $30 breakfast for two.
We would stay again due to the nice room and friendly service but would not eat there again.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank cliffordchicago_IL
Houston
Reviewed May 9, 2007

We pricelined this hotel and didn't know a thing about it other than it was downtown. Except for someone who gave us directions from the south instead of from the north, we made it there just fine.

Upon check in I asked if there were any adjoining rooms available. (Priceline customers cannot arrange this in advance at most hotels.) After some brief chcking, the agent said we would be upgraded to a suite. Woo-hoo! And she wasn't kidding.

She put us in two suites adjoining. One had two beds, a sofa, and two bathrooms. This led to a living room with another sofa and a kitchenette. This room had amazing views of the capitol. It looked beautiful all lit up at night! The living room had it's own hall and connected to the second bedroom. Each bed had tons of pillows, some of them down. The linens were elegant. The carpet and areas of the wallpaper were a bit dated but the entire place was clean and well kept those things aside. The bathroom was exceptionally clean and I'm fastidious about that. An extra perk: their complimentary toiletries were very nice and mostly naturally based; no SLS, or glycols. The square footage of the suites had to have been bigger than our first house! 4 beds, 4 baths, 3 sofas, a living room, a kitchenette, and 3 tvs. Wow!

Exploring the hotel was fun. It's a historic hotel. The fitness center was dated but it was fun to check out nonetheless. The pool was closed for maintenance but looked nice; indoors. The spa was nice too. There was a steam room and a dry sauna as well. It also listed a jogging track which we determined to be the hallway itself! I suppose it would do if one were really in need of a jogging track but we're just not that dedicated to jogging.

Down the road was a fantastic pub. We had to pay to park in the garage across from the hotel but it was relatively inexpensive; less than the hotel had thought.

• Liked — Elegance, friendly staff, amazing views, and we were upgraded!
  • Disliked — We couldn't find good dessert at any of the hotel restaurants. What a pity.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank wanderlust512
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 7, 2007

It is always a pleasure to stay in a hotel that not only meets your expectations but exceeds them. My Mom and I went to the nearby town of Pella, Iowa for the Tulip Festival. It rained nearly the entire 4 hour drive from Minneapolis. To top it off, when we got there, the tulips were mostly dead already. (Very disappointing.) So what a nice surprise when we got to Des Moines and pulled up to the hotel. Very nice lobby. And even though there were a number of people checking in at the same time, I didn't wait but two minutes for service, and the clerk immediatly acknowledged me, even though she had another guest. When we got there, I had parked on the street, right across from the front entry of the hotel next to a parking meter. Since we were downtown, I assumed we would need valet parking, but the clerk informed me downtown parking was free on the weekends, and we had found a prime spot. So it was nice to save a little money. On the way to our room, we noticed everything in the hotel was really clean and in good condition, including the elevator and hallways. I had booked on-line, and asked for a room with two double beds and "a view" if possible. We got a room on one of the top floors overlooking the state capital. And to our pleasant surprise, we not only had two beds but two full bathrooms, as well!! And the room was HUGE!! More like a suit. And very clean and quiet. There was a major thunderstorm going on into the early morning hours, and we slept right through it. That's how quiet these rooms are. I stayed at a hotel downtown Des Moines about 6 months ago and I paid 50% more for much less convenience, cleanliness and courtesy. If you need to book a hotel room in Des Moines, I would highly recommend you check out the Renaissance Savery Hotel. I will be back.

• Liked — Very clean hotel, very courteous staff, AND WE HAD TWO BATHROOMS!!
  • Disliked — What's not to like?
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank elle55407
minneapolis, MN
Reviewed May 6, 2007

This is an old hotel that is in need of updates. The room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. You can almost sit on the bed and stretch your legs out and touch the walls on both sides. The bathrroms are old tile and forget about opening the door if you are sitting down, because it will hit you in the legs.
I would not stay here ever again. It is way over priced and way too small.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank MNmidwesttraveler
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed April 26, 2007

Got a great last minute Priceline rate, which means I'm not going to complain about it being overpriced.

No doubt that this is an older hotel (late 1800s or early 1900s)...the fun thing is that most of the rooms were once actually two small rooms, so most rooms have two bathrooms. The beds, carpet, TV and decor is well updated and very nice.

Bathrooms are okay - small and crowded - with what looks to be the original sinks(kind of cool) and older toilets. The shower/tub was updated, but paint was peeling. The only thing that got me was that the toilet seats looked darn near original. The paint was peeling. I can't help but think that with all the updates they have done, the toilet seat could have been updated fairly inexpensively.

While our service was fine, it seemed that they always had one knowledgeable person at the front desk working with an individual who was completely clueless. I'm not sure what the deal was there...that was true both when we checked in and when we stopped down for snacks from the pantry.

One final thought here. The walls are thin. We heard the women in the room next to us having a nice conversation. Since this was a get-a-way with wife sans the little guy, I'm guessing they might have "heard" us as well...if you know what I mean. ;)

• Liked — Classy old hotel with character
  • Disliked — Toilet seats that need replacing, thin walls between rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed March 4, 2007

Stayed at the Renaissance Savery Hotel in Des Moines this past weekend. It wasn't the greatest stay and I wouldn't recommend it. I stay several places and I wouldn't purposely go back here.
We were put in a room where there were two bathrooms...a plus? Well, if you are taller than 6 ft, you might feel a little cramped. These bathrooms were tiny and they had what looked like 7 foot ceilings and were very outdated. My tub wouldn't drain and when we were done showering, there was a ton of hair that backed up into the shower..gross. Barely enough room to even move around. The carpet was VERY worn out and dirty. The beds were super comfy though but it didn't matter. The hot water heat that the hotel has ticks/clicks EXTREMELY loud about every 15 minutes when it kicks on and I am not exaggerating when I say loud. It sounded like a hammer was being pounded onto it 20x in a row and then it would quit for 15 minutes and then start up again. Talk about the most annoying thing when you are trying to get a good nights sleep. We maybe slept for a total of a couple of hours due to the loud sounds of the heater waking us up 4x each hour.
The lobby was nice. The staff was nice. But overall, the rooms were just okay. I'd spend the money elsewhere.

• Liked — Having two bathrooms in one room...it was handy.
  • Disliked — The overall dirty carpet, outdated bathrooms, and the annoying loud heater!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple