“great spot”

Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
kansas city
“great spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2006

A very nice spot in the middle of downtown close to everything. The staff was very friendly and informative. Its best to park in the parking garage across the street its free during the weekend. Overall it was a great place to stay and I plan on staying there in the future.

• Liked — close to everything
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Midwest, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2006

I stayed here for two nights on Gov't travel in early Sept. 2006 and based on my experiences, would gladly stay here again.

First impressions mean a lot and as I hopped into the complimentary airport shuttle at DSM, I received a friendly welcome and enjoyed good conversation with the amiable van driver. She was personable, humorous, and informative, without going overboard. Nice.

Check-in at the front desk followed suit - again I was greeted by sincere, friendly, professionals. A tray of cookies next to the elevator also grabbed my attention as I made my way to the room (I recommend the over-sized chocolate chip ones).

I am a fan of upper floor rooms with a view and my room on the 8th floor got half of that equation right. While I did have an "upper floor" as requested, the interior "courtyard" view looked out on walls, windows and the hotel's huge A/C unit and was less than inspring. This location also left the room exceptionally dark, even as I threw open the curtains on this sunny afternoon. Lamp and light placement didn't help much either...the room was generally a bit dimly lit. If you want a brightly lit room with a possible city or river view, be sure to ask for an even numbered, "outside facing" room. I will do this next time.

The blah view aside, my spacious room with two double beds was well appointed. The beds themselves, with newer pillow-topped mattresses and high thread count sheets, were VERY comfortable, offering good competion for the "Heavenly Beds" experienced at rival hotels. I slept really well both nights - not always the case when I travel. The beds' white down comforters, designer throws and huge decorative pillow assortments also made for a good visual focal point in an otherwise "normal" looking hotel room. Take heart - the room photos on the hotel's website must be slightly outdated -- Happily, the reality was a bit more modern and higher quality than expected.

A separate kitchenette area to the right if the room's entrance provided a mini-fridge, microwave, and wet bar along with the usual ice bucket and coffee maker. This "service area" was an unexpected nice touch, too, and the fridge did come in handy for some leftover pizza.

The room also featured two closets, once of which had the usual room extras including an iron, hangers, etc. The bathroom's entrance was tucked in the far left corner of the room and that space, while compact, was classy and well designed. No bathtub, but I definitely liked the oversized rain-style shower head as well as the "Lather" brand toiletries provided.

Noise from adjacent rooms was something of a factor. Guests in a room next door kept their TV on and at a moderately high volume overnight. I considered calling to complain, but instead made use of my foam ear plugs and slept well anyway. Water pipe and shower noise in room above mine was also startlingly loud early the next morning, but I soon got used to that as well.

I did not spend any time in the hotel's bar or restaurant(s) but I did have a small room service breakfast in my room as I prepared for work my first morning in town. My tray arrived on time and the young lady who deivered it was friendly and highly professional. The cereal, toast, coffee and OJ were all fine (and priced at the usual room service rates) but I was a little bummed to find that the banana that's supposed to accompany the other goodies had gone missing.

The hotel's public spaces and exterior were clean and classy and its location on the east side of downtown (just across the Locust St. bridge from Des Moines' funky East Villiage) was perfect.

In summary, the Renaissance rates a solid 3 to 4 stars. It's attractive, well maintained, classy, friendly, comfortable and well situated. Should I return to Des Moines, I will very likely pick this property again!

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank Topher202
Waterloo, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2006

I have stayed at the Savery several times during the past two years for business and pleasure. I can say that all the positive reviews of the Savery are very accurate. The staff is friendly and unobtrusive. They don't even bat an eye when a same sex couple asks for a king bed.

However, please please please... before you check in, make sure to ask to see a room before you finalize the check in. As this is a very old hotel, the rooms vary a great deal in size and amenities. Some rooms look onto brick walls... some bathrooms are teeny tiny etc. Also, the wallpaper and the drapes could use an update.

Other than that the place is great. Don't be afraid to ask for the best deal. Call the hotel directly for reservations. Anyone should be able to get a great for 79 to 89 dollars.

• Liked — The rooms and the entire hotel property are pleasant and attractive
  • Disliked — The bathrooms are TINY.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask to see the room before you commit.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank TomRiedmiller
Western Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2006

My wife and I and another couple were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary with a short weekend outing around Iowa. I know not TOO exciting, but all the time we had at the moment.

Anyway, I had two Marriott Rewards certificates for a free night at any 1-4 level Marriott locations which I used to make a reservation at the Renaissance Savery (a level 3 Marriott) in Des Moines on a Thursday evening for two rooms. I had sent a letter prior to our stay to ask about paying for an upgrade to the club level for my wife and I to surprise her for our 25th anniversary.

We arrived around 1 p.m. on Thursday and the only room they had cleaned yet was for our friends, room 1201 and we would be in room 1200. NICE to have side by side rooms I thought.

It only got better, the desk clerk said we would need to take the private elevator near the desk as it was the only one that would go to the Penthouse.

Now that sounded like a sweet upgrade, so we truck off to see our friends room. Up the SERVICE elevator to the 12th floor and this floor only had two rooms, our friends and ours. 4,000 square foot of rooms. Their room was 1,500 square foot, with 4 separate living areas, a huge kitchen, large master, large two shower bath and fireplace and a great view of the Des Moines capital building.

Later we got access to our room, which was adjoining the other suite, through double doors. Our room had 2,500 square feet, over 800 square foot bedroom alone, bath, living + fireplace a small sitting area with a crystal chess set on a table, kitchen, 8 person dining table area and a deck which had over 1,500 square foot beyond the 4,000 ft of indoor living.

We also had free access to the club lounge which is all I really wanted. We did have drinks that evening in the lounge, but they waived the cost as it did not show up on the checkout.

The whole evening was spectacular, and unbelievable experience for us all. The only glitch was the fire alarm was accidently pulled by the maid service and they evacuated the building and we had to walk down 12 flights of stairs, with a loudspeaker telling us to NOT get in the elevators because a fire had been detected in the building. I would walk down those steps twice a night to do this again! Kudos to the Renaissance Savery for an EXCELLENT ADVENTURE!

• Liked — The price
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kevin H
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2006

The (Marriott) Renaissance Savery is a nicely renovated historic hotel in an ideal downtown Des Moines location on the corner of Locust and Fourth Streets – 1 block to the Civic Center theater, 3 blocks to the riverfront, 1 block to the Saturday farmers’ market, and a few blocks to the convention center or science center/imax.

A city parking structure is just across the street on Fourth St., and parking there is free on week-ends (or $3 from 4pm to 6am week-days). One does not need to use the hotel’s $15 valet overnight parking.

The staff is very well-trained and friendly. They gave us a large (almost 600 sq. ft.) corner room with two queen beds and four windows even though we purchased the room on a deep Priceline discount that was less than half the advertised week-end special rate.

The room included a large sitting area, a desk with high-speed internet access, a small but serviceable bathroom (about 40 sq. ft.), and a shallow closet. The room also includes coffee and tea making amenities. The climate control is very quiet and works well – but bring a sweater or jacket in the summer since the a/c is kept cool in the public areas.

Our corner room was a bit larger than average, but based on the fire escape floor plan, other rooms also appeared generous in size. The décor is quite traditional and elegant – dark woods, a plethora of decorative pillows, peach walls, and heavy draperies. Other than the bathroom fixtures, everything appeared to be relatively new.

There is a pleasant and reasonably priced restaurant off the lobby. We had a delicious caesar salad and grilled salmon with tropical fruit chutney dinner for $18 ($9 per person plus double tip) because this is the only Des Moines hotel restaurant that offers 2 for 1 dining to Iowa public television members (if you happen to be a local). Check-out time is noon, so that one can enjoy the morning and not feel rushed.

We enjoyed our stay thoroughly and hope to return, even though we live only an hour away.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank efsch
Eastern Iowa Native
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Savory the first weekend in March 2006. Pam at check-in was very helpful and polite. Our room was very clean and spacious. They provided shampoo, conditioner, lotion and a hairdryer. They have free hookup to the internet with your laptop computer. We had a king sized bed that was made for one of the most comfortable nights sleep I've had away from home!! There is a reasturant and bar in the hotel. We didn't eat at the reasturant this year (we did last year when we stayed at this hotel and it was decent food). The breakfast buffet had a line into the lobby at 7:30 in the morning. The buffet opens at 7:00 a.m. and is $12.00 per person. No one I talked to complained that they were not full!! Sky walk is on the 2nd floor of the hotel, which takes you to many places downtown. The only complaint we had is that on Friday the hotel bar closed at midnight. The place was full of people at that time. Just thought it to be strange.

9 Thank EastIowa
Concord, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2006

I used to live in Des Moines and have seen many hotel rooms in Des Moines and have stayed in many hotels since moving away. Without a doubt, the Savery is the best. I had booked my room thru priceline for three nights and had only stayed one night when I got a call that my mother had passed away. The Savery comped me for the two additional nights at a later date. On my last trip we had a wonderful stay. The Staff is the BEST, the rooms are clean. Be sure to ask for a room with two baths if you are travelling with someone because you will get a larger room. The rooms with only one bath are rather small. THe breakfast has a wonderful buffet too. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business