“Good value and taste for the money”

Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Really nice hotel; not overly busy. Its historic character gives it a unique sense of place -- you're in Des Moines -- not like the usual anonymous hotel that could be anywhere. The recent modernization of the hotel was very tasteful, maintaining its character while having all the up-to-date conveniences you would want. Fitness center needs some work, though.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed March 31, 2009

I booked this hotel because we wanted to stay downtown in a nice hotel with a fair price. Had no idea that the room would be as small as it was, but it was really cute! Great bed and bedding, amenities, and I lucked out with a great view of the capitol (my sister, however, overlooked the buildings hvac units). The bathroom had a shower (no tub) and was super clean. My room was on a corner and in an alcove, so was really noisy - my neighbors were coming and going alot and the door slamming and conversations sounded like they were in my room (my sister's room was at the end of the hall and was very quiet). The second night was quiet and very enjoyable.
I was surprised to come back to my room on Saturday and find that it had not been made up by 3:30 p.m. The housekeeper showed up around 4:00, but I declined service because I had made up the room myself.
I never received the newspapers each morning, or got the credit for not getting them.
When we checked in, we had the option of free valet or appetizers in the bar, which was a nice perk! My sister took the valet service and I took the appetizers (try the cheese/corn dip with pita chips)! The bar/lounge is very comfortable and the staff are great.
The bellstaff was the absolute best! Everyone we had the pleasure of meeting were so professional and helpful. Friendly, too!
This hotel is connected by a skywalk to all areas of downtown DM, but the maps need to be updated!
Will stay here next time I am in DM!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and the room was nice. The bed was very comfortable, the comforter was nice and fluffy great for sleeping under because they froze you out, we could not get the heat to come on in our room. We had to snuggle down under the comforter. It was one of the down comforters so it was nice and warm, the really good kind so it was great. They had this wonderful set up where the coffee pot was by the tv on a pull out tray so that too was convenient and easy to use. The room was pleasant, the bathroom nice, kind on small, no hairdryer or other ammenities like that like most hotels have now. either. The other thing that we did not like either is for the money we paid we did not get any maid service for the time we stayed. They did not come in and make up the bed. In any other hotel they would have come in and made up the bed if we stayed for more than one day. I have never not had them come in and make up the bed and like give more coffee and the cream and sugars. We never saw the maid service the whole time we were there. I was not happy about that at all. And the rooms were not inexpensive so we feel the maids should have come in. Also, there were alot of kids running up and down the hallways and we had noisy families on each side of us and above us so we had to listen to them slamming doors, run around and stomp the floor until late. That was so annoying. Who could sleep? They went long into the night. So all in all I dont know if we will stay there next year when we need to for what we go to Des Moines for. We will rethink this decision. But they did have a great restautant down the street that serves great seafood that everyone should go try.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2009

Grand old building, and very friendly desk staff. It has seen better days though. I have stayed here for years, and there are clear cutbacks in service.
The main thing I would add to previous reviews is that the Savery is NOT in a safe neighborhood after dark. Hard to believe in Des Moines, but it is near the YMCA, which attracts a number of transients. We had problems with people asking for money, and then turning angry. Other friends had to run part of the way back to the hotel.
Overall, the hotel and area are in decline. Stay further down Grand at the Marriot, or better yet, in West Des Moines.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2009

This is an old building with National Historic Landmark status.

There are basically two types of rooms. Singles which are VERY small. These open to the inside of the building (IE not street). The doubles are actually two rooms put together and are very nice size. I also like the corner rooms.

PROS:

Great staff especially the valet.
Excellent location downtown.
Rooms all recently redone.

CONS:

Old water based heating systems can be VERY loud.
Walls are THIN.
Small rooms are VERY small.
Pricey

Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2008

Super friendly staff, very comfy rooms, nicely decorated with great amenities. Room was a little smaller than expected but still wonderful. Room service was fabulous. I'm going to book this hotel again for next April!

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed September 26, 2008

I truly enjoyed my stay at the RS. A few notable points.

The staff was very professional, attentive, and helpful.

My room was absolutely gorgeous, request it if at all possible - 1026 - a king suite. It is a perfect, breathtaking view of the state capitol, and you will not want to leave the room, it is really that nice.

My little peeves - not a lot of counter space in the bathroom for makeup/toiletries, it is one of those round sinks. Also the showerhead was low, and I am about 5'10' so if you are taller it might be a bummer. But the beauty of the room made up for it for me.

Bed was soft and covered in luxurious bedding and pillows.

There is a free trolley to pick up/drop off at the airport - you can also book the trolley for transportation to other nearby locations if you have a medium sized group that could benefit from that. (I beleive there is a 40 dollar charge for those types of trips.)

Location is very close (walking distance) to "Court Avenue" - a popular restaurant and nighlife district in Des Moines. This is really convenient if you want to go out.

There is a free city trolley that picks up right across the street (runs until 6pm) that takes you to the capitol or "East Village", another plus with convenience.

Last point - I was there for a meeting that my org. hosted, and the catering and sales staff are very organized and attentive. I would recommend holding a meeting or event here.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)