Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
$180
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$72
$97
$167
$152
  • Pool
$147
Doubletree.com
Baymont Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$72
$164
$92
$101
$82
Groupon.com
Des Lux Hotel(Des Moines)
$199
$193
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Used this hotel as a launching pad for the Iowa State Fair. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful including a very convenient valet service. The hotel itself is dated. While historic, there are things that could use updating such as the AC units (didn't work in my room), the bathrooms (no exhaust fans), and the elevators. It got to the point where you had to shower with your MAIN door open so the room didn't fill with steam... The restaurant had a very good buffet and the bar has a great atmosphere during happy hour. Also it is closely located to all of the nightlife of Des Moines. With a small renovation this would be a 4.5 star property.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark H, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear Saiklo

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us here at the Renaissance Savery Hotel. Thank you for you many nice comments! In regard to your notes about the need for an update, we heartily agree. We recently purchased the hotel and are in the process of the approval of the proposed design of the renovation that we are soon to start. Our Ballrooms will be first along with the exterior of the Hotel. Then, the guest rooms and restaurants are to be done.

We look forward to having you see the renovation and hope that you can come to us soon!

Regards

Reviewed August 3, 2014

My first trip to Des Moines and I thought I'd try something downtown. While it was a bit of commute to where I was working, I thought being downtown would allow me to explore a bit more of this mid-western city. In truth, upon arriving back at the hotel every night, it was too late to go exploring. So my focus is on the hotel not the amenities around it. It's a nice older building that has seen an update in the not too distant paste. The age means the rooms can seem a bit small, but I was traveling alone and my room was more than sufficient for me. It was cool to see pictures from the old hotel in the room and in the common areas. The staff was very cool and nice. The valet was super nice. I'd recommend this for the business traveler who needs to be in downtown Des Moines. If you're traveling to West Des Moines, pick one of the chain hotels in Jordan Creek. If you're traveling for fun, I'd find a nice B&B or boutique hotel in the city.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Mark H, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear John,

We truly appreciate hearing from our guests! Of course, it is even more so when we have pleased them during their stay. Thank you very much for the review and for the kind words about the staff as well as our property.

We are very proud of the fine heritage that is found at the Renaissance Des Moines Savery! For example, many of our guests may not know that the Renaissance is known for:

Being the first skyscraper built in Iowa ( and yes, 100 years ago 11 floors did constitute a sky scraper)

Being one of the first hotels in the nation with all rooms being air-conditioned

Being the first hotel built with a bathroom in every guest room

We truly appreciate your business and we look forward to being of service to you in the near future!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We made a reservation over the phone for a king larger studio room. When we arrived, we were given a double bed larger studio room. When we went to the front desk to alert the manager, he stood there looking at his cell for about 30 seconds until he finally looked up at us. he never made eye contact and told us that it said right on my confirmation that the room was "not guaranteed". No apology. They had another room with a king bed but it would not have fit a roll away bed for my daughter. So we were stuck with the double. We got used to the room except for the bathroom. It was so small that only one person could be in there. There was NO COUNTER space on which to put toiletries. The stall shower was maybe 2'x2' with water pressure so bad it took forever to wash our hair. On the wall of the bathroom was a charming photo and story of how things were back when the hotel was built - including how impressive it was to have a private bathroom. Did they think this made up for the ridiculously small and dysfunctional bathroom? I really wish we had booked the Hyatt instead. Never again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a guarantee on the room you book or they will do a bait and switch.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BoutiqueHotetraveler
Mark H, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies that you were not satisfied with your recent stay. We strive to provide excellent accommodations to all of our guests and obviously we were not able to do so in your case.

Being an historical hotel the property has undergone a number of renovations in the course of its near 100 years. We have many room types and configurations some of which have the original sized rooms, some had been transformed from two rooms to one room thus bathroom sizes can come in a large variety.

I am sorry that the room that you received was not to your liking and I hope that you understand that depending on the booking engine used to make your reservation, that specific room types may or may not be guaranteed. I assure you that it was not an arbitrary decision on our part. I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to host you again on another visit to Des Moines. We would love to be able to show you something more to your liking.

Regards
Mark

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Was there for a family wedding the weekend of July 12th. Had a slight problem with my room and it was taken care of quickly. Was also offered a discount for my inconvenience. Everyone at the hotel were polite and went out of the way to make our stay a comfortable one. Great location for downtown activities. Fabulous Farmers Market.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Mark H, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Justusindiana,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us and tell us of your most recent visit. I am sorry that you had an issue with your room, but love d hearing that we resolved it swiftly. Also I could not agree more about the Farmers Market, I was there this weekend and the Chef and I were able to buy a number of farm fresh items that we are going to feature on the menu as specials this week! I hope that you get a chance to visit us again real soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

To begin with, we arrived at the hotel and the doorman watched as we struggled to unload our various suitcases and bags without botthering to help- I have never had that experience before.
The check-in was easy enough and we were offered complementary champagne-nice touch.
There are only two rather slow elevators so prepare to wait, to get to where you are going.
The room was an executive suite on the 10th floor, room 1009 had a fabulous view of the air conditioning units other building-
There was an odd musty order to the room, which as a frequent traveler I have called "the hotel smell"
Two tiny tiny bathrooms with no room to put out any toiletries-I have had larger bathrooms on a cruise ship barely room to turn around.
The furniture was stained and sparse and the room could have used a coffee table in front of the couch.
The air conditioning did not work and the remote did not work.
The hotel engineer was unable to resolve the remote control issue but did fix the AC.
The bed only had one nightstand, which was inconvinient.
I had to argue with the hotel staff to get sheets and blankets for the pull out bed, she kept insisting
They were in the closet-they were not.
Service at the bar was slow.
We had the breakfast buffet the next morning-don't bother, horrible the worst food I have had.
Stale pastries, sparse fruit choices really pathetic.
Sticky floors in this supposed high end restaurant.
The other odd thing was in the ladies bathroom next to the restaurant.
Rather then a door in the first stall there was a terry cloth shower curtain for privacy.needless to say no one used that bathroom.
On a positive note the staff for the most part were helpful and pleasant.
For the money not worth it-

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandy H

Dear Sandy -

I appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to tell us of your stay. I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We work very hard to provide excellent service to our guests and I am very sorry that in your case we did not rise to an acceptable level during your stay. This is obviously not normal for us as you can see from the many other reviews. I sincerely hope that we can have the opportunity to show you the quality of service that we normally deliver on your next visit to Des Moines.

Again, I apologize for the quality of your experience.