“Late booking for wedding”

Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We attended a wedding at the Savery and missed the group booking deadline. When I called the hotel directly, the staff was less than friendly. But for the wedding, we would have stayed somewhere else because of the brusque folks I spoke with by phone. The staff at check-in was professional, but not particularly welcoming.

Like other reviewers, I found the bathroom old with some nasty looking grout. The bathroom was definitely the downside of our room. In addition to the dingy bathroom, I noticed a blood spot on the dust ruffle of our bed.

The hotel is historic with a nice downtown location. The pillows were great! The food served at the wedding reception was above average banquet fare.

The public parking garage at Fourth and Grand, unlike hotel parking, is free on Saturday and Sunday. The public garage also has a skywalk to the hotel. Beware of the three or four stairs that lead from the skywalk to the area where one finds the hotel elevator. It is handicap and luggage accessible, via an awkward enclosed lift which a second person has to operate as far as I could tell.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 12, 2008

I would not go out of my way to stay at this hotel, it is just average. The room was fine in terms of comfort and amenities, but the bathroom is about 10 years beyond it's time. Maybe 20 or 30, come to think of it. The bed was fine, the size of the room was fine, but overall it was just an average stay. The worst part of the experience was the restaurant. The food was really awful and I don't say that often, I'll usually eat most anything! There were 4 of us and honestly, none of us enjoyed the meal so avoid the restaurant. The front desk staff was fine, the lobby is ok, not really sure what the great significance is as far as the lobby in previous reviews, pretty average for a building of this era. Overall, nothing special, just average.

• Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I've previously stayed at the Renaissance Savery, and was looking forward to feeling pampered during my most recent stay. However, we encountered numerous problems which drastically lowered my overall opinion of this hotel. We stayed in a king room on the eighth floor for two nights. The tub did not drain at all in our room and the hand towel bar fell off the wall during our first night. After notifying the front desk on our way out the door in the morning, the items were promptly fixed. Normally a highlight of our vacations, we were dissapointed to discover that BOTH hotel hot tubs were broken. It would have been nice to be notified of this instead of trekking down in bathing suits to discover this on our own. Finally, there was very loud construction going on near our room -- perhaps the floor above. The hotel is large and had a large number of unoccupied rooms during our stay. If construction was planned, they shouldn't have placed people in rooms near the activity. I believe this was planned construction because the sounds happened both mornings of our stay. My husband disliked the room layout -- the bathroom (with a door that didn't fully close) was about 2.5 feet from the bed. Some of the positives include a great bed with different styles of pillows, a great downtown location close to restaurants, and a stylish lobby. My opinion is that this is a formerly great hotel with some issues that need to be addressed by management.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2008

This was my first trip to Des Moines - normally, I stop in St. Louis on my way to and from my hometown or Oklahoma City and where I live now in Chicago. But, this time I decided to mix it up and visit friends in Wichita and Kansas City and then overnight in Des Moines. Getting there after a long day on the road at nearly 10 PM, I found the Savery a most welcoming place to stop. The staff as excellent, the room service was excellent, the bed was very comfortable. The staff apprised me in advance that the room would be small - but, actually, it was about the same size as my bedroom in my bungalow in Chicago - so, I can't complain about that. The staff also told me that wing was being renovated, so the noise the following morning didn't bother me - I knew there'd be noise. If I was to find a complaint about my stay, it was that the soda machine on my floor ate my money - but, I reported it to the staff, and they gave me my whole dollar back - if that is a complaint, then they are doing very well! I liked it enough that I decided to stay on another day instead of fight my way through the storms along the way between Des Moines and Chicago. I will definitely stay again the next time I am in Des Moines.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I stayed here with my daughter and another mom and daughter. I picked this hotel because it had the skywalk system available to the Iowa Events Center. We were in town for a National Dance Competition so staying out the weather elements when your daughter is all makeup'd and in a costume was awesome. We didn't have to worry about event parking, rain, etc. Just left our room and headed down to Vets.

The room was a bit small but functional. The bathroom was very small. Only one person at a time in it, unless the other person was taking a shower, then two could fit. The room had 2 large closets. The bedding was great and all the pillows were awesome! Huge fluffy pillows and a lot of them!! Had in room coffee maker with coffee or tea, ironing board and iron, and a nice large hairdryer, not a cheap travel size one. Older tv set, not flat screen, but worked fine. The only complaint about the tv was from my daughter because it didn't have Disney Channel.

The A/C worked awesome. In fact had to turn it down because it was so cold. The staff was very accomodating. Asked for more towels and received them within 15 minutes. Asked for a wake up call and got one at the right time. The only flub up I got was the receipt at our door in the morning had 2 long distance phone charges on them. We never used the phone except to call for a wake up. The front desk fixed it immediately and gave me a new receipt.

I recommend staying here. It was a historic hotel and nice to see it being taken care of so well. It's nice to see the older styles and especially nice to see the doors to your room so heavy and real wood!! Really blocked out hallway noise. Great place to stay in Downtown. Would reserve another room in a instant.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Stayed at this hotel in February for two nights while at a conference in Des Moines. Simply put, this hotel was a pleasant suprise.

Positives:

1. Beautiful Lobby. The lobby is wonderful and unlike anything you would expect to find in the Des Moines market. The hotel itself is a historic landmark.

2. Room Renovations. When I stayed I was informed that the hotel was in the process of updating its rooms. I was informed by the clerk at check in that she was placing me in a room that had recently been renovated -- what a nice suprise. The updated rooms are nothing like those depicted on the hotel's website. The rooms have a very urban feel with striped wallpaper, nice bedding, light color tile and capret, etc. Very very nice. I am not sure as to the status of the renovations but make sure to request at check in that you be placed in an updated room.

3. Nice hotel bar, decent conference facilities, and great room service.

4. Excellent location within walking distance to court avenue and other shops.

Negatives

1. The hotel room, while beautifully updated, was relatively small by Des Moines standards. Granted, the hotel itself is old and back when it was built, I am sure smaller rooms were the norm. However, it would have been nice to have a little more space.

2. No direct access to parking. Unfortunately, parking is located in the garage across the street. There is not a lot of parking around the hotel, so this makes loading/unloading in inclement weather somewhat difficult.

Overall, beautiful hotel with nicely updated rooms. Would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2008

I posted about a bad stay at this hotel two years ago due to barely functioning air-conditioning. In addition, the fold-out bed was awful.

Well, I booked a stay recently on Priceline. A friend and I checked in and were able to get a room with two beds, so no fold out. It was plenty hot outside, but the hotel was cool throughout, and the room was actually cold when we stepped in. We had to turn the air warmer!

The rooms are very large since they are two old rooms put together. At many hotels these would almost be junior suites. The Savery uses "everything washed" bedding, which is very important to me since I don't want bedding that has touched someone else's armpits up around my face.

The bathrooms are a little small and a little sub-par, but nothing awful. They were limited in dealing with an old hotel. On the up side, each room has two bathrooms. The bar downstairs in nothing special, but a nice place to grab a drink and perhaps watch a sporting event (at night the volume is cut off). There is a neat entertainment district two blocks from the hotel.

Now that it's nice and cool inside, you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business