“Nice trendy hotel with a great location”

Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Iowa
“Nice trendy hotel with a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

Stayed at this hotel in February for two nights while at a conference in Des Moines. Simply put, this hotel was a pleasant suprise.

Positives:

1. Beautiful Lobby. The lobby is wonderful and unlike anything you would expect to find in the Des Moines market. The hotel itself is a historic landmark.

2. Room Renovations. When I stayed I was informed that the hotel was in the process of updating its rooms. I was informed by the clerk at check in that she was placing me in a room that had recently been renovated -- what a nice suprise. The updated rooms are nothing like those depicted on the hotel's website. The rooms have a very urban feel with striped wallpaper, nice bedding, light color tile and capret, etc. Very very nice. I am not sure as to the status of the renovations but make sure to request at check in that you be placed in an updated room.

3. Nice hotel bar, decent conference facilities, and great room service.

4. Excellent location within walking distance to court avenue and other shops.

Negatives

1. The hotel room, while beautifully updated, was relatively small by Des Moines standards. Granted, the hotel itself is old and back when it was built, I am sure smaller rooms were the norm. However, it would have been nice to have a little more space.

2. No direct access to parking. Unfortunately, parking is located in the garage across the street. There is not a lot of parking around the hotel, so this makes loading/unloading in inclement weather somewhat difficult.

Overall, beautiful hotel with nicely updated rooms. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Oxford, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

I posted about a bad stay at this hotel two years ago due to barely functioning air-conditioning. In addition, the fold-out bed was awful.

Well, I booked a stay recently on Priceline. A friend and I checked in and were able to get a room with two beds, so no fold out. It was plenty hot outside, but the hotel was cool throughout, and the room was actually cold when we stepped in. We had to turn the air warmer!

The rooms are very large since they are two old rooms put together. At many hotels these would almost be junior suites. The Savery uses "everything washed" bedding, which is very important to me since I don't want bedding that has touched someone else's armpits up around my face.

The bathrooms are a little small and a little sub-par, but nothing awful. They were limited in dealing with an old hotel. On the up side, each room has two bathrooms. The bar downstairs in nothing special, but a nice place to grab a drink and perhaps watch a sporting event (at night the volume is cut off). There is a neat entertainment district two blocks from the hotel.

Now that it's nice and cool inside, you can't go wrong here.

• Liked — Large, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Small bathrooms, but not that bad
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

I have platnium status with Marriot which means that I stay over 75 nights per year with their hotels. I average about 15 nights at this hotel a year. It is a historic hotel, that is why it is a Renaissance. So yes it is older but has been remodeled and is always being updated. The pipes may bang a little but again it is a historical hotel! The staff goes beyond their duties to help. (Including doormen, housekeeping,managers,bartenders front desk to maintenance.) The rooms are always clean. The work out facilities and spa are wonderful. The restuarant and bar are both very clean and offer a great menu. The location cannot be beat in downtown Des Moines and the airport shuttle with a little "please and thank you" will take you anywhere in the downtown area. It is the only place I stay in the Des Moines area.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank tsdavid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

A friend and I stayed for 1 night after going to a comedian and hitting the downtown bars. The hotel was very nice. Our room had 2 little bathrooms in it. I had never seen that before. It was kind of nice I must admit.

The front desk was great at check in and the shuttle gave us a ride to our destination even though it wasn't on his route. We had a couple of drinks and dinner in the bar. It was good also.

My only complaint is that on Saturday morning about 8:00 am I was awakened by someone pounding on something right above me. I think they were doing some construction, but I thought that was little early on a weekend. We also got room service for breakfast and it wasn't great either.

Overall, I would stay again. We enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Manhattan, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2008

My husband and I have been coming to this hotel for over a year now and we love it!! We were hooked from the beginning with the beautiful lobby. Last time we stayed, they upgraded our room free to a King suite w/ a giant closet and a kitchenette. The rooms are beautiful and the beds are sooo comfortable! The room service is pricey (as to be expected) but the food is fast and delicious. It's in the perfect downtown location near many nightclubs and restaurants. The only drawback is everytime I've stayed there, I have yet to see the salon open. Perhaps I sleep in too late, I'm not sure! Other than that, It's a wonderful place to stay!

• Liked — The classical beauty of this historic hotel
  • Disliked — The salon was never open
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeLay01
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

I was tempted to give it a 1 rating (ie; terrible), but on balance for the price my company paid a 2 is just about ok - but I have already asked not to be put there again.

This looks like a classic example of an upgraded/improved lobby area, not matched by any work on the rooms. For a one night stay I can live with a relatively small room, but aside from that the fixtures and fittings all looked old, especially in the bathroom (more on that later). Room service took a while and there were things missing + same for b'fast as well.

The big issue was the bathroom (actually, shower room). During the night heard some gurgling noises from pipes, but didn't think much of it - but in the morning when I pulled back the shower curtain found dirty water in the shower tray coming up from the waste pipe. Front desk said they would send someone to unblock. but I said that I wasn't going near the shower, given what was in the bottom of it + then they said I could shower in the gym downstairs ... when I was by this time running late for a meeting. Eventually, someone came up and gave me the key to another room on the same floor - to which I had to move all my stuff and then shower etc - and that room, although larger, was as dated as the one that I had just left.

To give some credit, at check-out I got a reduction for the inconvenience, although no big apology for what had happened. Reading an earlier review, looks as though the property may have some wider plumbing issues to sort.

I appreciate that room choice in Des Moines is limited, but until a refurb is carried out here, there are better choices than this.

• Liked — Location for business meetings
  • Disliked — Plumbing, service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
los angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2007

I was shocked by this hotel. i am familiar with marriott and the renaissance brand. this hotel has NO business claiming membership in that family! The accommodations were substandard, the entire hotel claims to be non-smoking, yet my room stank and there was burns all over. food from room service was slow in arriving and of poor quality.
Staff was not helpfull, and was downright combative when i tried to get them to rectify their issues. I will sooner stay at a hotel 6 than come back to this hotel. boo marriott, i expected more of your company.

• Liked — close to business
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business