“"Lots of charm"”

Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a very unique, charming hotel. It has been renovated, but, some of the character has been left. The bathroom had the toilet on an angle and the flush handle was on the wall...It appeared to be the original...Very cool. The beds were very comfortable, but, a little small. I think they were full or double and we are used to a king size bed at home. The pool and spa area were very nice. We arrived late and had very little use of either. I just do not think they should close the pool and spa when people are in them relaxing. :( There were some mystery stains on the carpeting..Parking was a hassle. Overall, a very nice hotel, but, be prepared to somehow deal with parking in a garage or on the street as the hotel has no parking of their own. We enjoyed our one night stay.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ExploringMom
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our hotel. I will certainly address the issues you had with your room immediately.
Thanks again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is a great hotel, very nice but we ended up with the handicap room and the bathroom is very poorly designed. The water from the open shower did not end up in the drain but in the floor right in front of the toilet. Poor design. Other than that, it was very clean and beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I thought the hotel was very nice. It is an old building (which is charming), but the lobby, lounge & restaurnat are all very modern & decorated in an artsy New York Style. The staff was very nice as well.

Our room was actaully a very nice size! We had two double beds and lots of open spece ( enough for all our luggae, a pack-n-play and room for the kids to play). Reading some of the reviews, we lucked out? Very clean, as well.

Ordered room service twice and it was prompt & excellent. I actually thought the prices were more than fair. Considerably less than Boston, Philly & Chicago. Also - both times, the waiter kindly told me the gratuity had been added in...that never happens (being told, it usually is & they want you to tip twice). It was an 18 % gratuity, btw, not a service charge.

Elevators were a problem...only two & slow. There was a wedding going on, so we had to wait a few times. Fortunately, we were not in a hurry.

Were were there over the weekend - so parking in the city garage was FREE. It's right next door...don't valet, save the $32!

decent gym...but the pool is indoor & in the basement...and it's a little creepy down there.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank RoadWarrior0219
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel has some positives, the lobby and lounge are nice, the restaurant was just ok. $16 a day to park a motorcycle in an open valet lot was a little rough. There are only two elevators and they are both old (of course), small and slow and at times only partially functioned. I had a large double room with two bathrooms on seventh floor. Friends had a King room which was very small. Walked over to the Marriott and would stay there next time. There is little charm you might expect given the age of the Savery.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel because even if it is in a small city, it is expensive and with very limited service. You pull over in an open area right on the street, so if it is raining (it was when we came in) you will get wet. No one in sight to help with bags or lend an umbrella. When the bell boys were called to help, they did not like being disturbed for whatever they were doing. You have to go back out after check in and drive your car to a parking garage, so you get wet again.
Dinner was closed for the night at 9 or so, so we had to go to the bar to order some food, there was a total of one person working at the bar, for about 20 people ordering drinks and food.
My room was spacious and clean, but again, not worth the price, this is a 3 star hotel max.
Not recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Very Nice Classic hotel in great downtown location. Close to events center, civic center, State capitol and Des Moines river. (Concert on the river the weekend we were there)

Usual Renaissance very comfortable King bed w/6 pillows.

Only drawback was lack of shelf space in bathroom and lack of drawers and clothes storage in the room.

Excellent staff and service!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We booked our room through hotels,com (that's a whole other story that I won't go into here) but the reservation indicated we would have 1 king bed or 2 doubles. Upon arrival, we were given a room with 1 double bed. 1 double bed? Where am I, Motel 6? The room was so small (the bed took up most of it) and the rest of the room included 1 night table (that blocked the closet door from opening the whole way which was a problem because unless we put our luggage in there we would have been tripping over it the entire time) and a work desk which doubled as the other night table and was covered with so much stuff (ice bucket, telephone, breakfast tray, coffee maker and fixings, lamp, etc.) that I'm typing this review while I'm sitting with my laptop on the bed. The TV is mounted on the wall at the foot of the bed, and you have to be careful when walking by it that you don't smack your shoulder on it. There are no drawers anywhere in case you wanted to put folded clothes. Again - this is a room at a Renaissance? Don't get me started on the bathroom - old school toilet and a small sink with no room to place toiletries except on the toilet lid (quite sanitary!) Sorry ladies - there's not one full-length mirror in the room either. The mirror above the sink in the miniscule bathroom will need to do when checking your outfit before going out.

The only redeeming factors are proximity to downtown, the Aveda products in the bathroom and the room is clean. But frankly, my husband and I do alot of traveling and if I were a Renaissance employee, I would be embarrassed to be renting a room of this type in my hotel. When we complained to management they kindly gave us free valet parking (which is $16!) and free breakfast, which was average. Hotel staff told us the sales person has been trying to get the description resolved with hotels.com for quite a while. Really? My husband replied, "Right. I'll bet they go out and laugh about it over a couple of scotches and agree to deal with it the next time they meet." I work in IT. It's not rocket science to get a description fixed.

I wouldn't stay here again purely based on the fear that we'd end up in another room designed by the little old lady who lived in a shoe. Book at your own risk.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms with double beds. You have a view of the air conditioning unit.