“3rd Stay in 2011”

Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Iowa
“3rd Stay in 2011”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Okay, so the hotel is listed on the National Historic Register. It's cool, but not THAT cool. This hotel reminds me of a quaaint, boutique European, albeit larger, hotel that has a very small town, proprietorish feel. Tha said, the personalities of the staff are corporate, but its iowa...so everyone is nice.

The key to this place is location. It;s within a 5 minute walk of Court Avenue, which is home to a multitude of high end restaurants, diners, pizza joints, even a crab ragoon pizza!

Seriously, the rooms are nice; redecorated and comfy--but Europeanish in their quirky angles, smallish bathrooms, smallish counters, etc. So what! It's down town Des Moines. The price is reasonable, and you can walk to everything. Like I said---it's Europe!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Joe F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Lenox, Iowa
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I stay here 3 nights yearly for a business conference. Each time I have stayed my room has been different - in size, layout, and amenities such as microwave and fridge, but the bed is comfortable and has extra pillows, the shower heads are huge and the pressure is just right, and the wireless internet (no charge) is appreciated. This year I had a larger room than some years, but I am always comfortable and since it's just me, I don't need a lot of room. I also treat myself to room service breakfast so I can eat healthy and resist the not so good for you foods served at the meetings. The egg white omelet with spinach, tomatoes and feta cheese is my favorite and you can customize with other ingredients if you want. I had dinner by room service twice as well. (Be sure to check the restaurant/room service website for seasonal specials.) This year I especially noticed the hotel staff was very accommodating and helpful, from the young man who saw me struggling with my luggage and helped me down the steps from the Skywalk, to the people who delivered my room service meals. The food is wonderful - my complements to the chef. I enjoy the hot tub and use the fitness center - both are average and adequate. I missed having a refrigerator this year, but it's possible if I had asked, they might have accommodated me on that. The hotel is accessible from the Skywalk which is very convenient.

Room Tip: Since the hotel has rooms of various sizes and layouts, if space is important to you, mention that w...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thanks you for your kind words. You are absolutely right about the different room types. The Savery is a historic hotel that used to be a 300 room property. It was the first hotel in Iowa to offer a private bathroom for each room. Over the years many renovation have made us the 211 room property we are today. Thanks for discovering us!
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is the second year in a row we stayed here b/c we run the marathon & the start line is just outside the hotel. Both years the initial room they tried to put us in was the size of a closet...really. One of the rooms we could barely walk around the room b/c the bed took up the whole room & the layout was so awkward & weird. Their reservations clerk at check-in commented a bit sarcastically that it is a historic hotel so that is how it is. Well if that is the case then those rooms should be offered at a huge discount. They did move us into better rooms both years but the views in all four rooms were of air conditioning units and other industrial looking machines. The second room was okay but nothing special. We enjoyed the food very much, however, and that was probably the best part of both stays. We are going to try other hotels next year b/c even with a discount it is just not a great value.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank LizzieSoCal
Minneapolis,MN
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed at the Savery for a business conference that was on site. The first room I checked in to was next to a mechanical closet. I could hear a slight high pitched ticking sound and thought "this will drive me crazy at 3 in the morning" I went to the front desk and without question and was moved to a room at the end of the hall that was twice the size with a gigantic shower. Plenty of work space in the room. Nice Aveda toiletries. The staff was one of the nicest I've encountered in a long. long time. The only down-side is that the hotel is not really near any department stores, drug stores, etc. The valet parking was less expensive than the public ramp which is a rarity. A very lovely refurbished old hotel.

Room Tip: I had dinner in the bar instead of the restaurant (same menu) Excellent cucumber martini and the bes...
Long Beach, California
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Rooms are ok, nothing to write home about. Staff is friendly, location is good, stayed here for 2nd time, I will try another hotel next time.

Wild Rose, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel is being renovated which is badly needed. My bed was VERY comfortable but I could hear a lot of noises from my room so they must not be well insulated. Wireless did not work well in the room. I ate breakfast at the hotel which as fair.

1 Thank Julie60393
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I travel a lot for work and it has been a long time since I've been stuck in a hotel this bad. The room I was given in this hotel (with only a double bed) was smaller than rooms in most NYC hotels. This does not measure up as a Marriott property!

1 Thank David C
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Thank you for your response to your stay with us. This hotel when it was built in 1919 was the first hotel in Iowa with a bathroom with every guestroom. We were originally a 300 room hotel and all of the rooms were of European size. We are now a hotel of 211 rooms of 30 differrent room types. Many are quite large, but we do have a few Europeans left. They are quite cozy in nature.
Thank you again for your comments.