Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
  • Restaurant
$99
$88
$81
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$72
Baymont Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$109
$179
EmbassySuites.com
$159
Hyatt.com
$164
$169
Des Lux Hotel(Des Moines)
$199
$193
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I stay here 3 nights yearly for a business conference. Each time I have stayed my room has been different - in size, layout, and amenities such as microwave and fridge, but the bed is comfortable and has extra pillows, the shower heads are huge and the pressure is just right, and the wireless internet (no charge) is appreciated. This year I had a larger room than some years, but I am always comfortable and since it's just me, I don't need a lot of room. I also treat myself to room service breakfast so I can eat healthy and resist the not so good for you foods served at the meetings. The egg white omelet with spinach, tomatoes and feta cheese is my favorite and you can customize with other ingredients if you want. I had dinner by room service twice as well. (Be sure to check the restaurant/room service website for seasonal specials.) This year I especially noticed the hotel staff was very accommodating and helpful, from the young man who saw me struggling with my luggage and helped me down the steps from the Skywalk, to the people who delivered my room service meals. The food is wonderful - my complements to the chef. I enjoy the hot tub and use the fitness center - both are average and adequate. I missed having a refrigerator this year, but it's possible if I had asked, they might have accommodated me on that. The hotel is accessible from the Skywalk which is very convenient.

Room Tip: Since the hotel has rooms of various sizes and layouts, if space is important to you, mention that when making your reservation. Some rooms (not just suites) also have more than one bathroom. When you check in the staff can tell you what your room is like, and may be able to relocate you if you have a special request.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

Thanks you for your kind words. You are absolutely right about the different room types. The Savery is a historic hotel that used to be a 300 room property. It was the first hotel in Iowa to offer a private bathroom for each room. Over the years many renovation have made us the 211 room property we are today. Thanks for discovering us!

Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is the second year in a row we stayed here b/c we run the marathon & the start line is just outside the hotel. Both years the initial room they tried to put us in was the size of a closet...really. One of the rooms we could barely walk around the room b/c the bed took up the whole room & the layout was so awkward & weird. Their reservations clerk at check-in commented a bit sarcastically that it is a historic hotel so that is how it is. Well if that is the case then those rooms should be offered at a huge discount. They did move us into better rooms both years but the views in all four rooms were of air conditioning units and other industrial looking machines. The second room was okay but nothing special. We enjoyed the food very much, however, and that was probably the best part of both stays. We are going to try other hotels next year b/c even with a discount it is just not a great value.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank LizzieSoCal
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed at the Savery for a business conference that was on site. The first room I checked in to was next to a mechanical closet. I could hear a slight high pitched ticking sound and thought "this will drive me crazy at 3 in the morning" I went to the front desk and without question and was moved to a room at the end of the hall that was twice the size with a gigantic shower. Plenty of work space in the room. Nice Aveda toiletries. The staff was one of the nicest I've encountered in a long. long time. The only down-side is that the hotel is not really near any department stores, drug stores, etc. The valet parking was less expensive than the public ramp which is a rarity. A very lovely refurbished old hotel.

Room Tip: I had dinner in the bar instead of the restaurant (same menu) Excellent cucumber martini and the best prime rib I've ever had - seriously
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Rooms are ok, nothing to write home about. Staff is friendly, location is good, stayed here for 2nd time, I will try another hotel next time.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel is being renovated which is badly needed. My bed was VERY comfortable but I could hear a lot of noises from my room so they must not be well insulated. Wireless did not work well in the room. I ate breakfast at the hotel which as fair.

1  Thank Julie60393