“Nice place - would stay there again”

Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed September 27, 2007

We stayed here 2 weekend nights during the Iowa State Fair. We got a great rate on a king suite with sleeper sofa and kitchenette. The bed was amazingly comfortable - and I often have great trouble sleeping in any bed but my own. Not here! I slept like a log.

We were originally going to stay just one night, but asked if we could extend our stay another night. At first I was told that the rate I had would not be valid, and we would be charged the regular rate. When I said thanks, we'll look elsewhere, the clerk went into the room behind the front desk, then came back and said they would honor our discounted rate. Very nice staff, by the way. Also great cookies by the elevator in the afternoon!

There was a shuttle bus to the Fair just a block from the hotel, which ran frequently and was extremely convenient. A couple blocks from the hotel is a restaurant and nightclub area. We went to a brew pub/restaurant that was great (sorry, don't remember the name).

There were some minor problems - only 1 elevator was working (and there are only 2 to begin with), but we didn't experience any major delays. Also, the place that is supposed to serve Starbucks there is only open during the week, and the nearest Starbucks is several blocks away.

All in all, a very nice stay!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel

Reviewed September 17, 2007

The Renaissance Savery Hotel is in an older building in downtown Des Moines, Iowa. Even though the building is older, the interior has been updated quite thoroughly. The small bathroom was quite modern, with a marble-tile walk-in shower. The room was very clean, tastefully decorated and the bed was comfortable. The person who checked us in was courteous and friendly.
There's a LAN port in the room. There was also a TV with cable. A small sofa and desk were also part of the room's arrangement.
They have a limited aerobics room in the basement, but the equipment seemed to work. There's also swimming pool and jacuzzi down there.
A restaurant was adjacent to the check-in area (which we did not eat at). A lounge/bar was across from the check-in desk. It had a nice, easy-going atmosphere and the bartender was prompt and competent in his service.
The location, right downtown, was perfect. It was an easy walk to the Farmers Market (held every Saturday, apparently). And the farmers market was quite impressive. There was a great selection of different foods and veggies for people to buy.
Even if you're just passing through for the night, treat yourself, and stay here--and then, if you arrived Friday night and have time on Saturday morning, go see what the farmers market can offer you after a nice, refreshing sleep.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lobotrip
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I usually stay at the Embassy Suites, but this time the Embassy was sold-out, so I tried the Renaissance which is part of the Marriott now. This is a classy place; nice rooms, the bed and linens are great and the service friendly. I was upgraded from a regular room to a king bed, nice, but not a great differnce. The breakfast was included and was just OK, nothing special. The parking is valet, $15, and the wireless Internet free. The location is excellent, within walking distance to restaurants and stores. My bathroom had only a shover, without a tub, (which was), however, when I showered, the water runs all aver the place; hope I didn't flooded the room below. Nice toiletries and good quality also. I am panning to return.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Laurel99
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Overall our stay at the hotel was fine. The room was spacious and comfortable. We had 2 bathrooms and a sitting area. However, we were disappointed that the room did not have a refrigerated snack bar/liquor cabinet. Also, the ice machine and soda machine were not working. Despite calling the front desk about the machines, neither one was repaired during our stay. There was a huge stain in the ceiling and we questioned whether there would be a water leak from the slight bulge in the ceiling.
On another note the bartender was very friendly and accomodating. However, although Chopin Vodka was showcased in the martini bar, they ran out of it on a Friday night.
The most disappointing aspect of our stay was the food. We decided to go to breakfast and had a terrible experience with our waitress. We asked for cream for our coffee not once, not twice but 3 times, only to be served an almost empty creamer from another table whose patrons had left. (is that against health regulations?) We again asked for fresh cream for our now cold coffee. As our waitress left to retrieve the cream we heard her mutter to herself "You're not the only ones!"
When the food arrived the eggs were practically raw and the toast soggy and cold. We both agreed this was indeed the worst breakfast we had ever eaten. Not a very good experience for a $30 breakfast for two.
We would stay again due to the nice room and friendly service but would not eat there again.

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank cliffordchicago_IL
Reviewed May 9, 2007

We pricelined this hotel and didn't know a thing about it other than it was downtown. Except for someone who gave us directions from the south instead of from the north, we made it there just fine.

Upon check in I asked if there were any adjoining rooms available. (Priceline customers cannot arrange this in advance at most hotels.) After some brief chcking, the agent said we would be upgraded to a suite. Woo-hoo! And she wasn't kidding.

She put us in two suites adjoining. One had two beds, a sofa, and two bathrooms. This led to a living room with another sofa and a kitchenette. This room had amazing views of the capitol. It looked beautiful all lit up at night! The living room had it's own hall and connected to the second bedroom. Each bed had tons of pillows, some of them down. The linens were elegant. The carpet and areas of the wallpaper were a bit dated but the entire place was clean and well kept those things aside. The bathroom was exceptionally clean and I'm fastidious about that. An extra perk: their complimentary toiletries were very nice and mostly naturally based; no SLS, or glycols. The square footage of the suites had to have been bigger than our first house! 4 beds, 4 baths, 3 sofas, a living room, a kitchenette, and 3 tvs. Wow!

Exploring the hotel was fun. It's a historic hotel. The fitness center was dated but it was fun to check out nonetheless. The pool was closed for maintenance but looked nice; indoors. The spa was nice too. There was a steam room and a dry sauna as well. It also listed a jogging track which we determined to be the hallway itself! I suppose it would do if one were really in need of a jogging track but we're just not that dedicated to jogging.

Down the road was a fantastic pub. We had to pay to park in the garage across from the hotel but it was relatively inexpensive; less than the hotel had thought.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank wanderlust512
Reviewed May 7, 2007

It is always a pleasure to stay in a hotel that not only meets your expectations but exceeds them. My Mom and I went to the nearby town of Pella, Iowa for the Tulip Festival. It rained nearly the entire 4 hour drive from Minneapolis. To top it off, when we got there, the tulips were mostly dead already. (Very disappointing.) So what a nice surprise when we got to Des Moines and pulled up to the hotel. Very nice lobby. And even though there were a number of people checking in at the same time, I didn't wait but two minutes for service, and the clerk immediatly acknowledged me, even though she had another guest. When we got there, I had parked on the street, right across from the front entry of the hotel next to a parking meter. Since we were downtown, I assumed we would need valet parking, but the clerk informed me downtown parking was free on the weekends, and we had found a prime spot. So it was nice to save a little money. On the way to our room, we noticed everything in the hotel was really clean and in good condition, including the elevator and hallways. I had booked on-line, and asked for a room with two double beds and "a view" if possible. We got a room on one of the top floors overlooking the state capital. And to our pleasant surprise, we not only had two beds but two full bathrooms, as well!! And the room was HUGE!! More like a suit. And very clean and quiet. There was a major thunderstorm going on into the early morning hours, and we slept right through it. That's how quiet these rooms are. I stayed at a hotel downtown Des Moines about 6 months ago and I paid 50% more for much less convenience, cleanliness and courtesy. If you need to book a hotel room in Des Moines, I would highly recommend you check out the Renaissance Savery Hotel. I will be back.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank elle55407
Reviewed May 6, 2007

This is an old hotel that is in need of updates. The room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. You can almost sit on the bed and stretch your legs out and touch the walls on both sides. The bathrroms are old tile and forget about opening the door if you are sitting down, because it will hit you in the legs.
I would not stay here ever again. It is way over priced and way too small.

Stayed: April 2007