“Easy Highway Location and Clean”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Kansas City, Missouri
“Easy Highway Location and Clean”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

This hotel was listed on the IHG Rewards PointBreaks list through June, so we decided to give it a shot when we were in town for a race. We only paid 5,000 points for the night, but it was so worth it. Check-in was super easy and the staff was incredibly friendly. We got an upgrade room that a nice mini fridge and a microwave and they were able to grant us late check-out. The building hasn't seen an update in a while it seems, but the rooms were clean and the bed was really comfortable. My only beef is that the bedside lamps don't have extra power outlets in them and there wasn't one easy to access near the bed... but they did have free wifi. They have a very small fitness center, but it seemed clean and functional, as well as a pool. No problems with parking and this hotel is RIGHT off of 80/35, so easy to get to. We enjoyed our stay so much and it was so convenient that we have already rebooked for another say at the end of the month.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed May 9, 2014

While traveling to a business meeting we were delayed by emergency abdominal surgery. The hotel fixed our dates, moved us the the first floor and provided a wheelchair for us to use while we were at the event. (The wheel chair needed its axle greased but it worked fine.)
The pool was a little chilly after the sun goes down and their is a steep step down into the whirlpool. But it is opened late so you can relax after dinner.

Room Tip: We had first floor room that was outside the smoking area by the front entrance and there was no noi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed April 28, 2014

After leaving the Days Inn across the street, I started calling hotels. This was my first call and I booked right away. Upon walking into our room, I was overjoyed. There were two large beds, amazing bedding (which I am SUPER picky over) and a beautiful bathroom. The room was clean, and everything was fantastic! I called first thing the morning of check in to see if they were able to get be an earlier check in time other than 3:00. The man that answered the phone on Saturday the 26th, was polite, friendly, and responsive. I was only expecting an hour earlier and he made it happen by noon! It felt good knowing that I wasn’t a bother, or they were going out of their way to help me. The fitness center was just right! Although the only thing that was a bummer was the cleaning crew of the pool that night kicked us out about ten minutes earlier than closing. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things! I would definitely stay here again and plan to in the future!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Austin, Indiana
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel because I was stuck in Des Moines due to a snow storm. I have enjoyed my previous couple stays because the staff is very nice and helpful and the restaurant on site makes it comfortable since I did not have to go back out into the storm. I also like how it is explained that what type of Holiday Inn it is. I would have never known that certain ones have free breakfast and others have the restaurant like this one if it was not explained. The gift shop selection is fantastic as well.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I travel for biz and typically stay at Hilton properties, but the closest to this area was booked. I have stayed at Holiday Inns and thought I'd try this one.

Pros:

Friendly front desk staff
Large sitting area in lobby
Great location - close to expressway
Conference rooms
More than adequate light in room
Quiet

Cons:
Dated interior (lobby, rooms, etc.)
Cracked tub surface
Dust hanging from bathroom fan vent
Baseboard detached from wall

Overall I didn't feel the room was very clean. The drain didn't close on the tub and there were cracks on the bottom of the tub. When I first turned the tub faucet on, the water was rusty in color.

As a woman traveling alone it's important to feel that the hotel is safe and this one made me uncomfortable.

All of these things were compounded by the price. Corporate rate was $99. The corporate at the Hampton Iowa City - University was $89 and provided several breakfast options. There was even a guy who came through the parking lot to brush the snow off of the cars.

Had I been charged $65 at the Holiday Inn, I probably wouldn't be writing this review - I would have got what I paid for. If you plan to stay here, pass on room 510.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Kathy D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Kathy D,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were glad to see the positive comments for the Front Desk staff as well as the high scores for Service and Sleep Quality. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Waverly, Iowa
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was a return-visit to this property, and once again, it was outstanding. Most hotels are developing to the west of the metro (Jordan Creek shopping area), and it's hard to find good, clean, nicer properties on the north/Urbandale/Johnston-side of Des Moines. This is one! Formerly a Sheraton years ago, most all the rooms have been renovated, and the bathrooms, while still small, are excellent -- the front desk said they'll do another "freshen/renovation" over the next couple years too! What I like is this is an Iowa-based hospitality property -- Kinseth, I believe. They do a nice job, and the attached Bennigan's is an added-value.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This hotel (technically in Urbandale, I think) was ok. They allowed our pet to stay with us for an extra $20.00, although we had to bring our pet in and out of the back door only. The room and bathroom were clean and had all of the amenities and toiletries. They had good water pressure and hot water in the shower, but no towel racks in the bathroom. The decor was in need of some upgrading and probably a deep clean around the edges of the carpeting, but otherwise, we thought the room was relatively clean. They had a business center off of the lobby, and provided coffee in the morning. They also had HBO, which was nice after a long road trip. The heater in our room was on "high" even when switched to "low", so it was a very hot sleep but we survived. It was ok for one night.

Room Tip: It is always a good idea to make sure the windows are locked when you check into your room, if you a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WhirledTravels28
MikeH4Hol-Inn, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Whirled Travels28

Thank You very much for taking the time to post your comments. We certainly appreciate the positive comments about the hotel cleanliness, shower, HBO and business center. I have also taken note of your suggestions as well. We very much appreciate your feedbck and take every comment seriously. I am gratified to hear you had a good stay overall and look forward to the opportunity to be of service to you in the future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Moines
Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown
Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Urbandale

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest? Share your experiences!