Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$180
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$72
Doubletree.com
$164
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Baymont Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$72
$92
$101
$82
Groupon.com
Des Lux Hotel(Des Moines)
$199
$193
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrestaurant connectedihg hotelsmeeting spacean older propertymerle hay roadmicrowave and fridgefree internetweekend stayhot tubbooked this hotelnice roomeasy accessbeds were very comfortableup to datebenniganssheratonaltoona
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here on our way to Nebraska. I am glad I did not read the reviews first or I would not have stayed here. Our room was okay....could use some new furniture. The bed was comfortable however, and that is always important. We always bring our dog so we need pet friendly hotels and it limits our choices. The bathroom was the tiniest I have ever been in at a hotel and in dire need of a remodel....We ordered room service which was very prompt and the food was average. We could have had free breakfast, but did not have time for that. The staff was very friendly.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
MikeH4Hol-Inn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Muktown,

Thanks for staying at Holiday Inn & Suites Des Moines Northwest. I am glad you found many thiings about our hotel appealing and also found a few items to critique. Your honest feedback is important and appreciated. We in fact are currently adressing the items you mentioned, and I believe you would discover a suprising difference your next stay. And we are certainly pet friendly.

Thanks again for your comments,

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had a horrible experience at your hotel. We will not stay at one again. I was told my room would cost $86. That included my state rate and my extra person. I was told I could have a refrigerator. When I got to the hotel it was an extra 15 for the individual with me and an extra 7 for the refrigerator. I was also informed there was NO breakfast. Wow!!! This cost me double what it does at the Sleep Inn. I got better service there, a cheaper rate, breakfast and no HIDDEN fees. I'll stay there from now on. What a disappointment! The place also reeked because of the remodeling.

• Stayed: November 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear eidimb81,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Des Moines, IA

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 23, 2012

It seems that maybe the hotel has been remodeled. Not sure because the bathroomds seemed outdated and the ceilings were very gross in the room. the beds were uncomfortable, but they did have the newer style bedding. There were those small pillows on the bed and they came in firm and soft. There was also a duvet cover instead of a comforter. Flat screen TV's were nice. The toliet in the batroom was unstable and I felt as if I might fall off. The toliet bowl it self was very dirty as if there was still feces still stuck in the bottom. The water pressure was awful. It did not seem that my bathroom was fully cleaned as there was an open shampoo container left in the shower.
The desk chair was falling apart and was stable to even sit in. I weigh 125 and am 5'5, FYI.
The overall smell of the hotel reminds me of an assited living facility.

Ok so my bigger issue was with the resturaunt attached to the hotel. I ordered room service and the lettuce on my salad was all brown and wilty. The sweet potatoe fries which had an excellent flavor were cold.

The plus is that they way overpoured on the wine I ordered. ;)

The next morning we went to have breakfast at the same resturaunt and the service was awful.
We waited for about five minutes before someone came to seat us. The person I was with ordered a roll and the waitress reported there was no icing left so she just made some up. Not sure what it was made out of but it wasn't sweet and it was lumpy. I had oatmeal and bacon. Neither was great. Our waitress was somewhat rude and short. It seemed like she did not want to be there.

The front desk customer service was ok. They were kind and willing to help. They even joked around with us. I like that.

I think the place is trying but a lot of stuff seems left out. I would not stay there again if I have the choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I've been travelling cross country the past month and I see a pattern in chain hotels in this price range: it's the end of summer and the hotels are pretty beat up! Like other hotels I stayed in this month, the Holiday Inn is in need of some downtime and TLC. The paint/wallpaper is scratched and peeling, carpets need cleaning, bathroom needs deep clean. My bathtub was very clogged, and while the desk attendant was willing to switch me to a different room, it should have been something that was taken care of before I arrived. Also mold growing on low ceiling in bathroom (yikes!).

Yes, the lobby is nice and the gym is just ok. I've seen a lot better in other hotels. I see that they hold weddings there-- I'd be embarrassed to have my guests stay!

I'm very happy I got a 50% price deal on another website, because that's all it was worth to me.

If you're paying full price, go down a few exits to Urbandale where there are newer hotels or stay downtown.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear bethana,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret that our hotel did not live up to your expectation. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured that these will be used to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've been in the hotel for 3 weeks now in one of their junior suites (relocating to the area). In no way have I been disappointed by the hotel (maybe a little by the attached restaurant, but I won't hold that against them). The counter staff has been the undoubted reason that this has been a great stay.

I don't consider myself high maintenance, which probably means I am, but the team has gone above and beyond to make my long stay here as comfortable as possible. Whether from ensuring that my room is perfect, supplying free detergent (It's a long stay), to taking an interest in why I'm in town so long, the team has made me feel at home. I could move to any hotel in town, as my company is paying, but I choose to stay here because of the staff.

While the building may be old, it definitely has the feel of a hotel that has been recently upgraded. The room has new furniture, updated single-cup coffee makers, and new largish flat screen TV's. And while it looked fine to me, they just re-carpeted every floor, too. Oh, and for you fellow workout enthusiasts, they have a VERY updated gym: large dumbbell assortment, and all of the cardio equipment is equipped with personalized TV's with headphone jacks.

I spend quite a bit of time in hotels, and I could not be more impressed by any operation I have seen. I am actually looking forward to the two more weeks I have here.

Holiday Inn Management: If you're reading this, please pass my regards to your front-line staff.

Room Tip: The junior suite is WELL worth the price. At least double the size of a standard room, with the amenities to make it worth your while.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business