Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I was rather reluctant to stay here given the poor reviews on Tripadvisor, however a last minute trip to Des Moines during the Iowa State Fair left me no other hotel choice within 40 miles. The price was far higher than it should have been but it seems like every hotel in the area raises their prices at that time of the year. The hotel was completely full the night I was there so obviously they're able to get the price they're asking for but I've stayed at much nicer hotels for the $179 per night that I paid.

Check in was smooth and I appreciated that they accomodated an early check in at 1:30 on a day they were filled to capacity. The clerk complained that my reservation didn't indicate I was traveling with a dog when I told him to add the pet fee, however there was no step anywhere on the Holiday Inn website that asked for that information when I was making the reservation.

The room itself was nicer than I expected. I had a suite, which was the only option available with my last minute booking. I didn't notice any musty smell that other reviewers have complained about. The kitchen included a small stove, microwave and a full size fridge. This would make it a great base for families attending the fair who like being able to cook for themselves. The furniture in the living room looked fine at first glance but there were a large number of nicks and scratches in the sides of the desk and table and the arms of the armchair looked worn and dirty. The bedroom furniture looked in better shape, although one lamp in the bedroom didn't work.

The restaurant has a Bennigan's attached and also a room service delivery option. I didn't eat there so I can't comment on the food. The surrounding area has a large number of fast food restaurants. Fewer sit down places but there are more if you're willing to drive ten minutes to surrounding neighborhoods. The neighborhood seemed OK, although Saturday night when I came back from dinner there was a long line of cars on the street in front of the hotel with a bunch of young males just hanging out in front of them and there were two men who didn't appear to be hotel guests hanging out in front when I checked out.

One other issue I experienced that was hardly the hotel's fault but is worth noting is that I had zero coverage with AT&T inside the hotel. It worked OK outside but several times I saw other people standing outside speaking on cell phones. Again, not the hotel's fault but provided in this review strictly for informational purposes. The hotel has free wifi, which is a great plus but it dropped a number of times Saturday night when I was using it. The connection was much more reliable and faster on Sunday morning.

I experienced several negatives while at the hotel. The first was being awakened by the staff at 6 am. They were vacumning the hallway, including occasionally bumping the vacumn into the wall and shouting to other employees. I needed to be up early but if I hadn't this would have absolutely impacted my ability to sleep past 6 am.

The hotel allows pets but charges a $20 fee. It doesn't say it on the Holiday Inn website but the paperwork you have to sign at the hotel restricts dogs to 20 pounds and under. I have no idea what they would have done if I'd showed up with a big dog. They will only give first floor rooms and assigned me to a room that was closest to the entrance. I suppose they figure it gets dogs out to potty quickly but it also tends to be the loudest room in the hotel due to the large number of people coming through the door making noise. My dog never barks in hotels but if I had a dog that did we wouldn't have slept very well that night. They also want dogs only walked along the back fence, which is not grass. The first time I took my dog there I spotted poison ivy growing in the gravel! Dogs can spread poison ivy oils if they get it on their coat so I ended up walking my dog across the street near the Super 8 or down the road further. As someone who always cleans up after her dog I would have much rather agreed to pay a penalty if I didn't clean up and be able to use a grassy area instead of noticing her standing a foot away from poison ivy.

In general, there are much better hotels in the area. This worked out OK in a pinch, enabled me to go to Des Moines on the weekend I wanted to go but I wouldn't book it again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank renard8450
HolidayInnNW, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

First off, thank you for staying with us. I am sorry your stay did not go as well as planned, the first weekend of the State Fair is always a busy time in Des Moines. Our front desk staff should not have complained about the reservation not stating you had a pet, and simply explained our hotels pet policy and done what they needed to accomodate you. I will let our grownds crew know about the poison ivy along the back fence that way we can get that removed before anyone is exposed. If there is anything else we can do let us know.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed here for business not personal travel. The lobby wasn't bad, but once passed that the hotel was very dated. My room was musty smelling, something that was difficult to get out of my clothes. I spent 5 days here and staff was great. My room had a very nice LCD tv and the beds were comfortable. The appearance of the room was lacking. There were areas that had been patched etc. It just looks old. If I were traveling with my wife and kids this would not be my choice. Go to ramada right next door. If you are on a tight budget and pricelined a room here for say $35 you'll be happy and ok.

• Stayed: July 2011

Thank you for your review. I am sorry your room had a musty smell, I am not sure if you let our front desk staff know, but we would have gladdly moved you to another room to make your stay more pleasant. If there is anything we can do for you let us know.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband stayed here two years ago. Two years ago he told the staff that there was bloody hand prints in the stairwell. Fast forward two years... still there. We are staying here for business through a government contract. Not by choice. The scary part is that the hotel has been remodeled since then. Or parts of it anyway.

Room Tip: Don't take the stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank brendamarie83
HolidayInnNW, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Thank you for the information. After talking with our front desk staff and investigating both our stairwells we were unable to locate any hand prints. We ask guests with any problems or concerns to come to the front desk and let them know that way we can resolve or investigate the issue at that time. If there is anything we can do for you fell free to contact the hotel.

Reviewed August 22, 2010

We stayed while traveling though IA on I-80. This is the 3rd time we've stayed here. I don't remember it being $150/night before, but with a family of 5, there are not a lot of options with enough room for everyone to sleep. We got a "family suite", which offers a bedroom with a king size bed, & a room with a pull out sofa, fridge, sink, and microwave. There is enough room for our 3 kids to relax, run around, and stretch their legs after a long day in the car.

However, the fridge was broken and warm (seems like I remember this from the last time, too). The closet door was off the track and hanging weird. There is a large sink area outside of the bathroom - good thing because the bathroom itself is TINY.

Pool was nice, kids enjoyed it.

We tried to eat breakfast at the attached Bennigans (as there is no complimentary breakfast), but was told by the teenage hostess that they didn't have a table to fit 5 and we would have to split up into 2 tables. What? We have 3 kids under 10 - I don't think so. So, we went to Perkins down the road and had a pleasant breakfast.

At $150 a night (plus tax), you'd think you'd get a clean, well-maintained room and complimentary breakfast. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank RollingSuburban5
HolidayInnNW, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2010

First off, I am sorry for the delay in responding to your review. I understand that your past stay with us was not what it should have been and would like to resolve the issues you encountered. I am having my Housekeeping and Engineering departments go through and inspect all of the rooms to make sure everything in the rooms are intact and in proper working condition. We are continually doing training with our staff to ensure that the right information is passed on to the customer to ensure a great experience every visit. If you are traveling through the area give us a call and we would like to make everything right with you and your family.

Reviewed August 19, 2010

Room, bathroom and elevator were extremely dirty. We had adjoining rooms with family. Both had live spiders, ants on curtains, bathrooms. Carpet was actually moist so we didn't walk around w/o shoes. For the money we were angry and dissapointed. It sealed the deal for me not to stay in anymore Holiday Inns, as recently each one has been unacceptable for cleanliness for the amt. of money per night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I'm traveling for several weeks and am staying in Holiday Inns along the way. Compared to the previous 3 Holiday Inns, this one was very disappointing.
Pros: great and helpful staff
new and updated linens - nice beds
lobby area was welcoming and comfortable
quiet rooms and fans
Cons: older property in need of renovation
wallpaper in hallways peeling
ceiling tiles in hallways water damaged and sagging
moldy smell in halls
tiny rooms and bathrooms with no microwave and refrigerator as were available at other properties
overpriced

I wouldn't stay here again....there are better properties for the price and condition.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo

Thank you for comments on our property, we take every comment and see what we can do to improve the way we do business from them. We strive to provide excellent customer service to each and every guest that walks through our doors. We are currently going through the Holiday Inn brand relaunch and are currently updating every area of the hotel to make it look like a new hotel once again. If you are traveling through the area give us a call and we will do everything we can to make you a happy customer once again.

Reviewed May 23, 2010

Not a great place, not a bad one either. It's a pretty average place when its all been said. The pool area was nice but the water was beyond cold. Staff did their jobs fine and provided us with good service. I can see how you might feel cheated if you paid $90+ for a one night stay but we got it for about half of that through priceline so no complaints at all. We didnt eat anything here so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family