“Could have been excellent”

Des Moines Marriott Downtown
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Michigan
“Could have been excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at Des Moines Marriott Downtown twice in the past three months for business. I can say that both stays were good but could have been excellent. Very nice hotel in a nice location with accomodating staff. Service was inconsistent but overall resulted in very good outcomes. I would have been much better if it didnt require follow up by myself and if i wasnt put in a handicap room. i am sure they were very full and that is all that they had available. But if i am required to stay at concierge rates for over$300 night then do not place me in a handicap room, with no bathtub, right next to the elevators that is overlooking the roof of the next building. I am a Marriott rewards member but my coworker who is not got the high rise room with a great view a nice tub at the same rate on both visits. She got the 23rd floor and i got the 8th floor both visits. Figure that??? On my second stay i paid for the concierge level but was not checked in as such. I had to remind the front desk staff of my reservation and it was not until then my access to the concirege lounge was granted even though i paid for this in the room rate. I also had to extend my stay and was told by the front desk staff that they were overbooked by four people and was given the phone number of the Marriott on the other side of town. when i checked on line, they were not overbooked, but there were several rooms available. I brought this to the attention of the front desk staff and they quickly apologized and made accomodaions for me and my co-worker.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was our third time staying at this hotel. We have had positive experiences previously but this time the front desk, bell hop, concierge and parking staff went above and beyond!! I can not thank them enough for making our team party a success!

The hotel has remodeled the lobby area since we were there last year and it is awesome. We ate breakfast and dinner here and both were good!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Rooms are clean and inviting but average; bathrooms are quite small.
Park directly across the street in the public parking deck to avoid the steep valet parking charge. Parking is free on weekends in the public parking deck. Elevated walkways lead from the parking garage to the Marriott.
Walking distance to many bars & restaurants.
Nice seating area at the bar in hotel lobby, but mediocre service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel, the entire experience, was adequate. It is not flashy, it is not unclean, it's just right down the middle of the road. Which is to say it is exactly like all of downtown Des Moines, and it fits in perfectly. The best feature is the relatively short hop to the airport.

• Stayed November 2012
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We used the downtown Des Moines Marriott for our daughter's wedding reception. Service of the front desk, valets, and bellmen was outstanding. We had approx. 60 rooms in use by our guests and heard no negative remarks. Our suite was in excellent condition. The event planning staff was responsive to our needs and I would recommend this location for individual or group purposes.

Room Tip: Elevators were fast so high floors are not a problem.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

A decent value for a downtown hotel. You need yo plan on using the valet parking if you drive. Difficult to do otherwise. Lobby bar food and service is very good. Hotel restaurant has satisfactory buffet

• Stayed September 2012
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

As Marriotts go this one is fine. My complaint is the lack of customer service. Restaurant - no one in it and still took a long time. Didn't know things on the menu. Picked up a garbage can to clear a table then delivered my food to me. Lobby lounge - walk in and no bartender. Acted put out that he had to come make my drink. No eye contact. I don't usually complain but this is easy stuff.

• Stayed November 2012