“Outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I just stayed at this hotel last weekend for a wedding. I cannot say enough about the staff....this was probably the best staff at a Marriott I have ever encountered. Very nice rooms and excellent location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were in town for a wedding and this was the closest hotel to the reception. Check in was super easy, I was surprised because when we pulled in the parking lot it seemed a bit chaotic. We had the choice of valet which was $20 or we could use the parking ramp across the street, which is free on the weekends. So obviously we chose the free parking. The ramp felt safe and I was not worried about our vehicle at all. The room was nice and clean. The only thing I found odd was there was no fridge or microwave. That seems so standard anymore. The next morning we ate at their breakfast buffet, which was very good. Many choices and omlets ready to order.. I've noticed in past reviews there were complaints about the elevators. Maybe it was because we were on the eight floor but we never had to wait long. I would definitely stay here again if needing to stay in downtown DSM.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We just stayed here for one night. A fast and easy check in. Our rooms were decent size and clean. Fairly quiet although the bell for the elevator is extremely loud and could easily wake up a light sleeper. The hotel wasn't busy so the noise really wasn't a problem, just something I noticed. We had breakfast in the concierge lounge which was fine. A Starbucks in the lobby is a treat. All in all, a good place to stay in Des Moines.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should stay far away from the elevator
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed 3 nights mid July here after winning the hotel on Priceline. Extremely efficient check in. Elevators are slow but a sign says they are going to be upgrading the entire elevator system in the near future. Excellent indoor pool, hot tub and workout facility. Rooms were clean with central air system and really comfortable bed and bedding. Great visit overall.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lincoln, NE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights.

First night we arrived late and hungry so we ate in the bar area before even heading to our room. The service left something to be desired. We ordered an appetizer and two entrees. The appetizer never even showed up. The food that did show up was pretty good.

The room was average. The carpet is outdated and an eyesore. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small but fine.

The next morning we did the breakfast buffet (included with our room). The options were pretty limited and if you wanted eggs or waffles you had to wait in line. Again the service was lacking.

Starbucks in the lobby is a huge plus!

The gym is fantastic, this is the high point of this hotel. It has a fully loaded gym which is hard to find in a hotel these days. The cleaning lady helped me find headphones and was very pleasant (probably the friendliest staff member I encountered throughout our stay, I wish I knew her name). Great gym!

We wanted to go down to court avenue for food and drinks. We asked the valet to call us a cab and they recommended the shuttle. The shuttle was "fully booked" according to the concierge do we asked the valet to call us a cab again. Again they told us to talk to the shuttle bus driver. Eventually they did call us a cab but it was an ordeal. The cab arrived quickly.

It should be noted this hotel also has thin walls and slowish elevators.

Court Avenue was great if you are looking for some nightlife, I was nervous about this as I couldn't find much information regarding stuff to do in Des Moines, but it was fun.

Overall the hotel was average. If we come to Des Moines again, we may stay here mostly because of the gym.

Room Tip: We always like higher rooms but because of the slow elevators, I would request a lower room if we st...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Beautiful hotel in the heart of Des Moines. Friendly staff and great rooms. I will echo the common complaint with the elevators. I feel lucky if I only wait 5 minutes for a ride in one. I caution the valets - they appear to be high schoolers who can't negotiate the tight and narrow turns in the underground parking.the first time I turned my truck over to them it came back with a cracked plastic housing and a matching dent. No witnesses and no evidence means I eat this one. Needless to say, park in one of the adjacent lots yourself!

• Stayed July 2012
Alexandria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

I hadn't expected to stay here, but bad weather cancelled my flight out of Des Moines and the airline sent me to the Des Moines Downtown Marriott. Was I ever surprised! Even though the airline had said that theynhd made me a reservation, when I arrived, there was no reservation to be found. Despite this, they found me a room an honored the rate that the airline had cited (unbelievably low). The room was extremely comfortable. Room service was quite responsive and the food was decent. And, when I had a problem with my Internet connection, the IT staff were extremely helpful. Best of all, when I needed to get back to the airport before the hotel's normal shuttle began, they were quite accommodating, charging me a nominal fee. If you find yourself in Des Moines, this is definitely a place to consider.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business