Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Billing MESS!!”
Reviewed July 24, 2006

I had two employees stay here during a conference, I filed the required paperwork with the hotel to have the stays put on my credit card, but employees were forced to present and use personal credit cards. To date I have made EIGHT phone calls to accoutning. Their personal cards have been charged THREE TIMES for the rooms and the company card has been charged TWICE. We have received no apologies and have been told how hard this is on the accounting department!!

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank gbearsis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Paramus, New Jersey
Reviewed July 6, 2006

Compared to other Embassy Suites properties I have stayed in, this hotel needs an update. The hotel is nice and clean, but reeks of Embassy Suites of the '80s. When you first walk in to the hotel, the entire lobby and atrium level smells of the chlorinated water in the waterfalls that decorate the area. Guest rooms are spacious and clean. I did not encounter any bed bugs in my 6th floor room, unlike another reviewer. However, the decor here is bad. The armoire, desk, table, minibar area and chairs are all from the '80s. The mini-fridge in my suite was particularly old and noisy...it kept waking me up during the night. Carpet and wallpaper are from the early '90s. There seems to be an effort to update in the newer curtain/window treatments, and bed linens. However, with the mishmash of different kinds of decor from various eras, it does not work. There is no wireless internet on the higher floors, so you have to use a wired connection. Unfortunately, the port is located in an inconvenient corner of the suite away from the desk, so you can not really use it for work.

Don't get me wrong; the casual tourist or family staying here will probably be very satisfied with the accomodations here. However, the business traveler who has stayed at other Embassy and Doubletree properties will probably expect more, and be disappointed by their stay here.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Rice_Krispies
Omaha NE
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Ten pillows in the room...and all of them were so uncomfortable- my family could not sleep!

I wanted to ring the front desk..but they were so rude at check-in (ie.making personal calls and ignoring you) that I didn't want to deal with them. The staff were really one way or the other...the bartender at the evening greet was very nice as was the desk clerk Friday morning. The cook at breakfast was rude and spoiled any appetite I had. He gave me grief becuase I wanted two pancakes (for my kids who were up in our room) and then when I got the pancakes to my kids..they were so gross they couldn't eat them. They were gritty.

BE ADVISED- on Thursday Nights through the summer there is a huge party with a live band and food vendors in front of the hotel on the river. Thankfully we were not turning in early that night...the bass thumping went on until 10 pm. I would suggest, if on a Thursday night you visit this hotel and you would like rest...do not book a river view. Stay on the other side of the hotel. We could watch the band from our room which saved us each the 8 dollar admission price into the party.

We were on the 6th floor in a corner suite and it was very roomy and had a great view of the river and downtown, as long as you didn't mind the gnat graveyard on the windowsills!
Anyone with allergies- beware!

Just an observation about the room...the furniture arrangement needed some adjustment and there are no coffee tables in front of the sofa in this hotel. We like to watch the news while we eat- but you can't see the TV from the dining table.

There is also a lot of construction going on around the hotel- so don't plan on sleeping in. The crews start very early and there is also heavy road noise as the traffic and busses begin. I was surprised how loud it was becuase I was on the 6th floor, but the busses brake right there at the bridge.

Parking is 12.00 valet and 6 dollars self park in the lot across the street. I parked on the street as we got in after 6 pm and parking is free on the street 6pm until 8 am. One dollar in the meter will give you almost 3 hours of parking time.

1 Thank Tripsr4me
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 2, 2006

The Hotel is Great. Im not sure of the person who spoke of bugs but the hotel was clean and myself and family had a great time. Its in a great location and the rooms were large the comp breakfastt was really nice for the family. My spouse and myself really enjoyed the Comp drinks It was really a nice place.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed June 20, 2006

I wouldn't advise staying here....thankfully we saw the bedbugs before we sacked in for the night. We were in the process of bringing up our luggage when I had noticed a bed bug crawling on the phone. My husband killed it and it was full of blood! We did get help from the front desk to get a room somewhere else, but we also weren't the only ones that had a room with bed bugs......I was told someone else had just left with the same problem in another room here at the Embassy Suites!!!!!

8 Thank kristine1233
cape cod, ma
Reviewed April 30, 2006

The physical accomodations are pleasant, but the
front-desk staff of this hotel were appallingly rude;
while we were there we witnessed one assistant
manager [a young man named Eric] drive a guest literally
to tears. [The guest had requested a late check-out because
a funeral was running late. I'm not making this up.]
The rudeness bordered on cruelty, in the way the
assistant manager handled the situation. He seemed to be enjoying
himself--smirking and taunting and so on. It seemed unlikely in a
Hilton / Embassy Suites hotel, but we were there, and we were
appalled.

Stayed April 2006
13 Thank CapeCodMassachusetts
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Nice enough hotel... definately not new but reasonably well maintained. Awesome location and great view on the river side! Very long lines and well picked over breakfast buffet was not worth the effort. Stay at the hotel, just eat elsewhere!

• Stayed April 2006