“Not Horrible, but not Ideal”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed March 22, 2013

One of 3 elevators was broken, the ice machine on our floor was broken and we were told the entire hotel had ONLY twin beds. We were expecting 2 queens, not two twins. There was NOT enough room for our giant family. Had we thought ahead, we would not have booked on St. Patty's day weekend. I am too old for obnoxious drunk people. Great staff though!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mmford1973
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear mmford1973:

Great to see your nice comments about our staff! We are in process of a major overhaul and modernization of our three guest elevators and I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Most of our suites have a King size bed and a pullout couch in the living rooms. The second most common room type has two Double beds and a pullout (like the one you had). We do also have three family suites at a slightly higher price than the other rooms, but they have two bedrooms; one with a king and the other with a double/double configuration in addition to the living room. This might be a great option for you when you stay with us the next time.

Thank you for your business - I appreciate it!

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a very nice, well maintained property, and I have stayed here on many occassions. After their remodeling about a year ago, the Restaruant changed, and so did the quality. The quality was aweful the previous time I stayed there, and before I booked this time I inquired of the hotel manager on what changes he had made. He was kind enough to send me a new revised menu and the assurance that things were much better.

I would not say much better, but they are better. The menu has more choices, but I must say that the quality of the food still needs improvement. On this weeks stay, I tried it two times and both times it was somewhat disappointing. But improved over last time, but still not near what you expect at an Embassy Suites Property.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve S

Dear Steve S:

Thank you for your positive review of the hotel. As you noted, we closed our old restaurant and reopened Liberty's in a new location in the atrium of the hotel. I am glad that you found the menu items to better than in the past - we continue to tweak the menu items and have plans to change periodically in order to better serve our guests and in order to have variety for many of our regular guests that stay with us week after week.

Thank you - please let us know what you would like to see on the menu next time you are here, we truly listen to our guest feedback.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times in all seasons. Summer is always best and if you can catch it, they have concerts by the river right behind the hotel. Last summer I was able to sit on the patio and listen to a Bare Naked Ladies concert whilst enjoying free cocktails during the managers happy hour! The hotel has since undergone a full makeover and is now a very nice suites hotel. Right in downtown Des Moines, not that means much as there is not much going on of an evening without the free concert :)
In town on business or pleasure, this is a great hotel

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BobLeeSwagger
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I go back to this hotel for the location and the recent renovations make the stay even better. This is a nice choice for couple/families who might be walking around to see different parts of downtown. The hotel is situated on the river with a great view and seating area. Across the river is the more business area of town, with the civic buildings and the fun of the growing East Village on the hotel side of the river. There are plenty of great shops and eateries within walking distance. There is even a city bike exchange close as well in this biking town. The rooms themselves are clean and as large as you expect for Embassy Suites. I don’t love that it is one of those hotels where all the rooms open to a main atrium so that people can see what room you are going in (I frequently travel alone), but I have always felt safe. The hotel also does much in hospitality as far as happy hour and breakfast. The workout facility is small but nice enough as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank IslaBonita77
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I called more then once to make sure my sister's debit card would NOT be charged as she would check-in first. I was assured my credit card would cover the reservation and she just needed to present a card at check-in to cover incidentals. They did charge my sisters debit card for the whole amount and she could not buy gas for on her way home.
I asked for and received a one hour late checkout but when I returned for a much anticipated swim and soak, my key did not work.
The breakfast was ok, but no matter how I tried to finesse it, my food was cold by the time I sat down.
I called to complain about noise about 215 and it was quiet for awhile but the noise picked up again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank draePDX
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear draePDX;

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that there was not an understanding regarding the credit cards to be used for payment of the room and that this caused an inconvenience to you and your sister. If you would like to contact me directly at 1-515-559-0081, I will be more than happy to research this further in order to gain an understanding of what exactly happened. I appreciate your business and hope that you will give us an opportunity to provide you with a perfect stay next time you visit Des Moines.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at the Embassy Suites for one night. We had a King Suite which was very comfortable. We needed to go to a business meeting at the Downtown Holiday Inn and the Front Desk offered the shuttle service to and from that evening! We were impressed. The evening reception was a bit sparse on food for the number of guests...only chips and salsa. We expected more and we wished there was free wifi. Other than that, we had no complaints and would return!

Room Tip: We got the basic room and did not upgrade. The King Suite had a lovely walk in shower
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MokoPeoria_IL
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear MokoPeoria_IL;

Thank you for your business! I was very pleased to read our review and appreciate the 5 stars. I am glad that our great van drivers provided you with exceptional service and we all look forward to serving you in the future. We do have complimentary WiFi service available in all of our public areas as well as in the Business Center, I apologize if you were not made aware of this at check in. We also provide complimentary WiFi to all of our HHonors Diamond and Gold level guests. I have passed on your comments regarding the evening snacks to our culinary team so they can reassess what we offer at the complimentary manager's reception as snacks. I hope you enjoyed the complimentary beverages we served (another great Embassy Suites Benefit no other major brand offers)!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was a great location in downtown Des Moines with recently updated rooms. Rooms were clean and comfortable; quiet, too! The pool area was very clean and the water was warm which was a great thing in February! The breakfast was delicious. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear M L;

Thank you for your great comments - I am glad you had a great stay with us. We all look forward to your return visit.