I was looking for a place downtown where I wouldn't need a car. The Marriott and Renaissance were closer but over my budget. The Embassy Suites was $139/night in comparison to over $200 for the Marriott and (closer to $300) the Renaissance, and Embassy Suites includes breakfast.
Breakfast includes made to order omlettes - a real bonus at this price range. And the guy making them was very friendly.
The room was dated (sort of 80s style) but nothing too serious - everything was functional and clean. Bed was comfortable. I had a view from the 5th floor over the river and the river park area, which was beautiful even in early April when its still a bit cold/clowdy (it snowed.)
I can't say that I usually interact that much with the hotel staff, but the girl who checked me in and I saw a few other times went out of her way to be friendly, as did the guy making omlettes in the morning.
I ate at the onsite restaurant the first night and wasn't thrilled - not horrible, just not very good. I found a Thai restaurant about a block away on walnut that was quite good and they do take out.
I walked across the river to downtown with no problem. I also never felt unsafe walking around downtown, even at night (although its pretty deserted at night.) There is a whole system of skywalks around downtown Des Moines, so if you are there in the winter or when its cold/raining, check it out. Almost everything in the skywalk area closes after 5pm though.
If you are going in the summer, I would definitely pick the Embassy Suites - they have a nice outdoor patio on the river side and right on a park-like spot on the river. Not much use in early April, but when its warm, this would be a great spot to relax.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax in the comfort of the spacious two-room suites at the Embassy Suites Des Moines Downtown. Located close to the Iowa State Capitol, explore the trendy shopping and dining opportunities of the Historic East Village. Enjoy complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast and a nightly Manager's Reception. Elegant banquet facilities are available for weddings, business meetings and other special events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Des Moines
- Des Moines Embassy Suites
- Embassy Suites By Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown Iowa