“Excellent stay. Very nice and comfortable.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Very clean and location was great. Embassy suites provided transportation to all of the surrounding restaurants and picked us up from the airport. Great experience overall. Meeting room was very good with good service. Breakfast was really good and had free drinks in the evening.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel for the past 5 weeks and all I can say is I don't mind coming back to Des Moines week after week when I can stay in a hotel like this!!! It's not just the fact that the hotel itself is wonderful -- clean, great rooms, nice amenities, etc. It's also because Eddie and Cameron are so darn nice and so very awesome when it comes to interacting with their guests!!! They respond quickly and competently to any request made of them.

Love the breakfast omelets and buffet and the evening manager's reception is a great way to catch up with my co-workers. Homemade sangria??? They make it every night for the manager's reception -- it's awesome!!! The staff caters to our wants and needs make us feel at home. There's nothing better. I'm scheduled to be in Des Moines for another few weeks and there's no place else I want to stay!!!

1  Thank Karen H
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Karen H:

I am absolutely thrilled about your comments! I have expressed my appreciation to both Cameron and Eddie for the great service they have provided and I will make sure we continue to make the Sangria for the Manager's Reception. Where else than at an Embassy Suites can you experience this? Most likely nowhere... Thank you for your continued business. I look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is perfect for theatre and boutique shopping. We were quite shocked to step off the elevator to see a huge pile of dirty sheets on the floor and dirty room service dishes down the hallway. There were some in front of our room which made us wonder if someone was still staying there! The room itself was nice. The light switch was upsidedown & that made it hard to actually see when entering. The bed was so comfy and the only sound we heard were the next room's kids running and screamimg around 8 am. The made to order breakfast was very good. The hotel was full so staff was scrambling to keep food and condiments filled. The last unusual item was a beer can floating in the water feature near the elevators on the way out. The cheapest parking is surface across the street for $8.00 there is no crosswalk and the parking area was full of ice and snow. You must have your room key to exit, I forgot and had to hoof it back into the hotel for a code to get out. So run fast across the street and don't forget your key!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank jais4nu
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear jais4nu,

Please accept my apologies for the temporary glitch in our Housekeeping services upon your arrival to the hotel. Please be assured that this is not typical (as you can see from many very positive reviews below). I have reviewed your comments with our Housekeeping department Leadership and they would like me to extend their apologies to you as well. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the great bedding and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our plentiful breakfast offerings. As you mentioned, the parking lot is located right across the street - the gate does have a button for a direct intercom to the Front Desk - I am sorry you did not notice it.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was a great place to stay. Underground parking is available, it's right downtown and easy to find. Great food and service. The room was larger that I had expected with two TVs and a living room space. It was large, spacious, and very clean and neat. I loved my stay!

Dear lydiar:

I am so very glad that you loved your stay! We hope to see you back in Des Moines soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed on a Saturday night because we had tickets to a Sunday matinee at the Civic Center. Great downtown location close to everything. Room had a nice view of the river. Suite was clean and comfortable. Managers reception and breakfast were nice. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. Will plan to stay here again on next trip to Des Moines.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Everything was great. The service, the location, the perks. We will definitely seek out an Embassy Suites anytime we travel. The free shuttle took us to and from dinner. Paid self parking was right across the street but they offered valet as well. Free breakfast buffet was great as were the complimentary snacks and drinks before dinner. It was a little loud with everything happening in the atrium and all rooms face that, but we didn't have a problem with noise when we were in our room. Easy access from the interstate and walking distance from tons of downtown locations. Highly, highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lala1275

Dear Lala 1275:

"Perfect" makes me very proud of the hotel and the very dedicated, hospitable staff we have an all levels of the operation. I appreciate your wonderful comments and high recommendation. WE all look forward to your return to the Embassy Suites Des Moines Downtown when your travel plans bring you back in town!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Embassy Suites have an excellent physical formula, wherever you stay. Their Des Moines hotel is no exception. Large atrium, waterfalls cascading from the top floor to the ground floor, large ante room with sofa, table, desk, kitchenette, separate large bedroom, all incredibly spacious and luxurious.

That's the hitch for me. I am environmentally conscious and the thought of all that hot air filling an atrium that was practically empty my entire stay, the space which would be impossible to use without children and extra guests, sitting in the middle of the Midwest, winter, blowing all that heat into the atmosphere, well, hard to feel this was all necessary.

But...still, what a lovely hotel! The bed was enormous and one of the most comfortable I've ever stayed in. Breakfast was a bargain - and the service was fantastic! Anteroom was enormous, good desk. Good wifi. Spotlessly clean.

Desk staff were not exceptionally friendly. Breakfast staff were wonderful. The place was spotless with so much empty space. Good location - walk across the river and you're in the restaurant, bar centre. Great pool which was available late and early.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a river view.