“Great rooms, Just skip the food.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Denver, Colorado
“Great rooms, Just skip the food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

They have recently renovated the hotel and it is a wonderful improvement and update. Prior to the upgrade the rooms were dark and old. No more, its all nice and fresh. Great workspace for business travelers. The new showers and quality bathroom products are nice. Very comfortable beds and pillows. I get a great nights sleep in this hotel after getting lots of work done!

However, with the upgrades the old restaurant was closed. A new restaurant was opened at the end of the atrium. Hard to call it that however given there are only a handful of tables and a menu that would be equivalent of a "bar menu" in many hotels. (this is the same menu available via room service) My food was OK, but not great. The breakfast buffet is again, just OK. They have a made to order omelet bar which was very good, however all the sides, etc were barely warm and appeared / tasted made up of primarily processed foods.

Another element that is not quite the norm is that when you valet your car you just leave it out front and bring your keys to the front desk, then when they bring up your car when you are leaving your keys are at the front desk so you may have to wait in line to pick them up behind someone checking out etc... At least that was my experience the last two times I've stayed there (about 7 nights total).

I would absolutely stay here again because the rooms are very comfortable, just don't expect much for food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank libbann
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Libbann -

I am very happy that you are impressed with all the significant upgrades and improvements we have done to the hotel throughout our major renovation! I am sorry you did not find the food in the restaurant to match the excellence of the rest of the operation. We have just implemented the new menu and have started now to offer several daily specials each day as we completed the "soft opening" of Liberty's Restaurant. I hope that you will try some of those when you return to the Embassy Suites in Des Moines.

Skip Hammerman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Room was huge! Had a separate living room with office, small kitchen area, and bedroom. The service was great! Free transportation, and I never had to wait longer than two minutes. I realized I left a charger in my room not long after I checked out. I called the hotel and spoke with Michelle (I think that was her name). She retrieved the charger and held on to it for me until i could pick it up later that day.

Stayed October 2012
1 Thank mspears
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear mspears:

Thank you for your great review. I am very glad that you had a fantastic stay with us and that our lost and found process worked perfectly for you to be reunited with your charger! We hope to be of service to you again when your travel plans bring you back to Des Moines.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is one of the nicely redone Embassy Suites--upgraded decor, etc. and is in an eclectic area of downtown called East Village which contains boutiques and restaurants. It was our first time in Des Moines and I can see the East Village and river area where the hotel is located becoming a popular draw in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Gregw3k -

I am gald that you had a great stay at the Embassy Suites Des Moines Downtown. We are very proud of the complete renovation of the hotel, which we just completed about a month ago. I hope that you will visit Des Moines again in the future and stay with us as we woudl like to serve you again upon your return.

Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a very nice hotel - The rooms are somewhat expensive at $199 but are very comfortable and spacious. There is a managers reception with free drinks and snacks each evening. The drinks were fine (except for a 20 minute line), the snacks consisted of pretzels and chips. The pool are is very relaxing. There is a free breakfast which includes quite a bit of food. I did not enjoy the coffee at all, we drove to a Starbucks a few miles away, which shouldn't be necessary for this price. We did not eat at the restaurant in the hotel. My biggest issue with any hotel is...the more you pay, the less likely you are to have free internet. This was the case here. Even being a rewards member, they still tried to get me to pay for internet service. I DON'T LIKE THIS.

Overall, a very nice hotel. I would stay here again. But....if inexpensive hotels can provide free internet, so can Embassy Suites.

Room Tip: There are two elevators, with a bit of a wait. A lower floor minimizes the wait.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Jeff38094 -

Thank you so much for your feedback, and we’re glad you enjoyed our breakfast. Internet access and printing are free in our Business Centers which are open 24/7. We do also have complimentary Internett access in our public areas. Additionally, Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members receive complimentary Wi-Fi at all hotels within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio of brands. We are always looking for ways to improve our guests’ experiences and appreciate your thoughts. Please know we will be documenting your feedback and sharing it with our corporate brand team.

Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The renovated rooms are quite nice and the free shuttle all around town (and to the airport) is awesome. Complimentary internet and nice natural Crabtree & Evelyn products in the bathroom. The breakfast buffet was hurting though... the coffee was atrocious and there weren't many healthy options (like yogurt without artificial sweeteners...) The front desk staffers our group encountered was not helpful or friendly, so I would say the service is lacking a bit. All-in-all a good place for business travel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted you are very happy with many aspects of the hotel (renovation, shuttle service, guest room amenities etc.)! I do appreciate your detailed feedback on breakfast items and I have reviewed your comments with our staff.

I look forward to your return to Embassy Suites Des Moines Downtown and I appreciate your business!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

If this place has been bad in the past, it's not now. Trust me. The rooms are beautiful. And they've added desk space that works for business travelers. The lobby is lovely and the service outstanding. I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I've been staying here over the last 4-5 years and have probably stayed here a dozen times. The lobby was remodeled about a year ago and it looks great. The rooms are almost always in good shape. The service from the staff Is always very good. They have a shuttle that will take you to locations within a few miles of the hotel, and is always prompt.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business