“It gets better each year”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've been staying here over the last 4-5 years and have probably stayed here a dozen times. The lobby was remodeled about a year ago and it looks great. The rooms are almost always in good shape. The service from the staff Is always very good. They have a shuttle that will take you to locations within a few miles of the hotel, and is always prompt.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank KCTrvlOftn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Ok. Des Moines is my hometown and now that my family has all moved away I have to stay in hotels when I go back. I have two toddlers and I'm always looking for a "larger" sort of Hotel room. This place is great. It's clean, it's spacious and it is near the newer part of des Moines "East Village". (decent restaurants, shos and bars).. I'm not sure if I'd stay anywhere else; however, the amphitheater is right outside the hotel and it can be very loud until 11:00pm. As I speak the Latin festival is going on and the sound level in the room in redicioulous. I'm tolerating it, but it's very noisy inside our room at 10:30pm. I also have to comment on the "doormen" they have dress up here.... They don't offer to take your bags, they don't hold the door for you and they are Not friendly! What's the point? It's goofy and annoying that they just dress the part. Why bother?
The pool is nice, room service and food is good enough to satisfy my picky family!

• Stayed: September 2012
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Jamikay -

Thank you very much for your great comments regarding our hotel and the perfect location we are in. I am sorry that the festival was noisy until late Saturday evening and that the bellmen on duty during your stay did not come across as being friendly or helpful. We take great pride in providing superior service and it is disappointing to hear that we did not do a great job this weekend. I have shared your comments directly with the manager responsible for that area of the operation so she can review it with the staff in order for us to improve and do a better job in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel - we all look forward to your return visit!

Skip Hammerman

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Beautiful hotel in a fantastic location. The rooms are spacious, elegantly decorated. The managers evening reception was fun and the breakfast had lots of selections. I highly recommend this hotel!! The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a mini "staycation" and we were very happy with our stay. The hotel itself is close to just about everything. The hotel lobby and atrium was beatiful and well kept. The rooms were outstanding - lots of space, very clean with nice decor (we loved the pictures of Des Moines scattered all over the room,) and we had a river view room which was breathtaking. The pool and hot tub was also nice (the pool was pretty chilly though so we spent most of the time in the hot tub.)

Breakfast the next morning was outstanding - made-to-order omlettes and a variety of cereals, fresh fruit, biscuits and gravy and various other good foods (we also liked that the meats were from Niman Ranch.)

The service we received was very helpful and friendly, and receptive to our needs.

We will defintely stay here again!

Room Tip: Request a riverview room - you might have to pay a little extra, but it's DEFINITELY worth it!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I've stayed at this property multiple times, but this time the experience wasn't near as good as previous times. Staff not near as accomodating, Room not cleaned to the usual Hilton Standards, Mystery "fluid" on the foot stool and on the bathroom wall. Gross.

Then on top of it, they used to have the best Restaruant at any hotel I stay, and this time they have put a new tenant in, and the food is lousy. This really disappoints me, and now instead of going out of my way to stay here, I'll check out other possibilities.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Steve S:

Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I am very disappointed that we did not meet your expectations and I am actively working with our staff to ensure professional and friendly service, cleanliness, and comfort remain our top priorities. I’ve passed on your feedback about the restaurant menu items to our food and beverage staff. We are always looking on ways to improve and we never want to let our guests down. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you reconsider staying with us again to see what we’re really like.

Skip Hammerman

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were in town for the state fair. This year we decided to try this hotel. It was awesome. Close to all the bars and restaurants. The hotel is up to date and staff was great. Also just a few minutes from the fair grounds. Great area. Give it a try.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Spent the night with the family on the way back East. Friendly service, great rooms. Must have been recently remodeled rooms seem to be bigger than others I have stayed at. Beds were very confortable. As always with Embassy Suites, the Breakfast was great. Location, downtown on the river was very nice for an evening walk. Kids enjoyed the swimming pool. Nothing but nice things to say.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family