“Food was Great - Bad Odor”

Sonny's Pizza Bistro
Ranked #67 of 574 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: French
Des Moines, Iowa
“Food was Great - Bad Odor”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My husband & I had dinner there for our anniversary on June 26th. The meals were great, service was good. Our drinks were awesome.

But the bad odor in the restaurant was VERY BAD. It smelled like a combo of bad grease & bad mold. We will try this place one more time. If the odor is still there, we won't return. Our clothes reeked of the smell when we left.

The parking lot is always full when we drive by.

• Visited June 2014

Does Moines
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Pizza in the area”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We have been here a few times now. The service is always exceptional. Everyone is very friendly, relaxed and attentive. It's cozy in the winter with a fireplace, and very comfortable in the summer with a very nice outdoor patio. The food is great! The pizza some of the best I've ever had. Great wine selection. We will definitely be returning!

• Visited February 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Delicious Pizzas!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is one place that you'll love for it's pizzas. They make really good pizzas that are perfectly sized for a single person. The ambience is very good, and the people there make you feel welcome. Apart from pizzas, they also serve excellent pastas. This was the preferred lunch destination everytime our team went out for lunch (at less than $6 per person, the lunch specials are a steal!).
The only problem with the place is locating it! It's somewhat hidden, and isn't all that easily noticeable.

• Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Glad we finally tried it!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

After living in the area for over 3 years & passing by this place often, we finally decided to give it a try thanks to the good reviews we read about it.

We got there around 5:30 on Saturday night & we were seated right away. Those who came in after us weren't so lucky. We heard people getting told an hour wait...the place filled up fast!

The pizza was very good! Everyone got their own, which was a nice option since we all wanted something different. The crust was excellent! I tried the Hawaiian bistro pizza. The ham they used was a little spicy, which surprised me because this type of pizza isn't generally spicy, but it was tasty & I got used to it.

I was a little disappointed about the price. For 3 adults & 2 kids (tip included) we spent close to $70. Not what I'd typically spend for a weekend pizza meal. But it was good & I'm glad we tried it. I'd like to go back w/ just my husband & try one of the pasta meals that are on the menu.

Service was great, place was clean, & food was good! Definitely give it a try, just expect to spend a little more than normal for pizza.

1 Thank AJP72776
Ankeny, Iowa
“What's are we having tonight honey.....SONNY"S!!”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Food-mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!
Pizza done the way I like it!!!! Crispy edges and lots of cheese!!!
Service-up and beyond!!!
Now, a regular, they call us by name!!
Not a chain resturant!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dine in or carry-out............
And try Momma's Italian cookies called "wandas".....tops off a great meal!
People have fun there too!! Or you can have a quiet little corner!

• Visited July 2012