“Also shocked”

Dining options: Reservations
Urbandale, Iowa
“Also shocked”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This too was one of our favorite places. We were there on a Wed night. 2 other tables of people, then it started getting really busy. 40 mins after ordering we asked about our food. It was brought out right away and you could tell it had been sitting. No apologzies, nothing. If Simon had been there this wouldn't have happened but we didn't see him. Food has been going downhill as well. They had one chef and I liked his food - was actually seasoned will but then he was gone and things got bland.

I really want to like this place again.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank SueA

Des Moines, Iowa
“Shocked!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

JBenjamins had ALWAYS been one of my favorite restaurants in Des Moines. The baked artichoke dip is absolutely divine, nothing I have EVER had compares!!! When you go there, you must order it!! My husband and I visited there Saturday night, it had been I while and I was excited to eat there again! It was crazy busy, but we only waited 10 minutes for a table. We ordered wine & the artichoke dip and perused the menu. The wine took 10 to 15 minutes to get back to our table . . . super sloooooow. We both ordered the New York, New York. It was almost 45 minutes before our dip arrived. The artichoke dip was excellant as always, but there wasn't enough bread for it and we couldn't get the waiters attention for more before it was cold & congealed. :( It was at least another 30 to 40 minutes before we received our salads, and another 45 minutes before the entree arrived. The food was cold. The steak was not a New York strip, it was horrid and full of gristle and fat. I have no idea what happened at JBens, I know it was busy, but the extended waits and cold food were just awful. I was disgusted & disappointed. The only saving grace was the Baked Artichoke dip. Depressing to see a favorite place to go so down.

• Visited February 2013
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Great neighborhood spot, food Is always great as well as the service!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I live close by and go often, The food is consistently good and priced well. Simon, Hunter and Georgia do a great job taking care of the place! If you've never tried it, go in and try the Spinach artichoke dip or the baked cheese Appetizer. Pasta Scarpata, manicotti, and sausage chicken are three of my favorite entrées! You'll be pleased with your experience!

Des Moines, Iowa
“Nice & cozy, Excellent food”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I've lived around this restaurant for years & unfortunately had never visited until recently. Whenever I go, I get their pizza & it is excellent! The staff is very friendly as well. It's a small cozy little restuarant. Would recommend.

• Visited December 2012
“Great food and romantic atmosphere!!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

So, my husband has been wanting to go to J. Benjamin's for some time and last Friday I gave in. We had tried to eat there before but the wait had been too long. To our surprise, we only had to wait a short time.
I was also surprised to find $5 glass of prosecco white Italian sparkling wine so that was a good start to our night!! The atmosphere is quaint with candles and they even had live music!! All the little touches added to a romantic atmosphere!!
I had the chicken Alfredo and my husband had the chicken with sausage and we both loved our meals!! I am a foodie and can be quite picky sometimes. I hate overpriced meals I could cook better at home!!
We had a wonderful night to say the least and cannot wait to go back!! It's a great locally owned place!! Give it a try when in the mood for good food without the pretense!!

1 Thank supertaster74