“Shocked!”

Cuisines: American, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

JBenjamins had ALWAYS been one of my favorite restaurants in Des Moines. The baked artichoke dip is absolutely divine, nothing I have EVER had compares!!! When you go there, you must order it!! My husband and I visited there Saturday night, it had been I while and I was excited to eat there again! It was crazy busy, but we only waited 10 minutes for a table. We ordered wine & the artichoke dip and perused the menu. The wine took 10 to 15 minutes to get back to our table . . . super sloooooow. We both ordered the New York, New York. It was almost 45 minutes before our dip arrived. The artichoke dip was excellant as always, but there wasn't enough bread for it and we couldn't get the waiters attention for more before it was cold & congealed. :( It was at least another 30 to 40 minutes before we received our salads, and another 45 minutes before the entree arrived. The food was cold. The steak was not a New York strip, it was horrid and full of gristle and fat. I have no idea what happened at JBens, I know it was busy, but the extended waits and cold food were just awful. I was disgusted & disappointed. The only saving grace was the Baked Artichoke dip. Depressing to see a favorite place to go so down.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I live close by and go often, The food is consistently good and priced well. Simon, Hunter and Georgia do a great job taking care of the place! If you've never tried it, go in and try the Spinach artichoke dip or the baked cheese Appetizer. Pasta Scarpata, manicotti, and sausage chicken are three of my favorite entrées! You'll be pleased with your experience!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I've lived around this restaurant for years & unfortunately had never visited until recently. Whenever I go, I get their pizza & it is excellent! The staff is very friendly as well. It's a small cozy little restuarant. Would recommend.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

So, my husband has been wanting to go to J. Benjamin's for some time and last Friday I gave in. We had tried to eat there before but the wait had been too long. To our surprise, we only had to wait a short time.
I was also surprised to find $5 glass of prosecco white Italian sparkling wine so that was a good start to our night!! The atmosphere is quaint with candles and they even had live music!! All the little touches added to a romantic atmosphere!!
I had the chicken Alfredo and my husband had the chicken with sausage and we both loved our meals!! I am a foodie and can be quite picky sometimes. I hate overpriced meals I could cook better at home!!
We had a wonderful night to say the least and cannot wait to go back!! It's a great locally owned place!! Give it a try when in the mood for good food without the pretense!!

1  Thank supertaster74
Reviewed November 11, 2012

sUBPERB cUSINE , Atmosphere & Service it's the hidden gem of Des Moines! We have come here for years and have always left full and happy. Simon and his staff are wonderful, food is always delicious and you always feel at home